Author Topic: Jayson Werth Calls it a Career  (Read 6431 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Jayson Werth Calls it a Career
« Reply #75: July 06, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Agreed.  Who should be in from the post-Expos Nat though? 

No one needs to be in right now. There's no rush or you end up doing something this stupid. Zimmerman should be the first one inducted.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #76: July 06, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »

No one needs to be in right now. There's no rush or you end up doing something this stupid. Zimmerman should be the first one inducted.

Maybe they want Werth to pay for another community ball field...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: July 06, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »

Zimmerman.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #78: July 06, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »

Zimmerman.

That's probably the right answer. I was trying to think who else - Livan?  Max is laying the groundwork now.   

Offline spidernat

« Reply #79: July 06, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Scherzer is on his way but Zimmerman comes first. Hernandez played only 3 full seasons and parts of two others here. I know he has some sort of cult following because of the lean years but the time he was here doesn't merit inclusion into the ring of fame.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: July 06, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »
That's probably the right answer. I was trying to think who else - Livan?  Max is laying the groundwork now.

Max will end up there. You’re in the ring of honor if you go into Cooperstown wearing a Nats Cap.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #81: July 09, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
As the criteria are 100% subjective - Chief or Livo?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #82: July 09, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
This is dumb. no way he should be in the ring of honor (and neither should Robinson or Rodriguez for that matter).

:clap:

I get the idea of putting him in, I'd have less of a problem with it if we didn't have so many Expos in it.

The first one in should have been Nats great adam dunn

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #83: July 11, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
My 1st choice would be Livan

I get the idea of putting him in, I'd have less of a problem with it if we didn't have so many Expos in it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #84: July 11, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »

Cap the numbers and replace the oldest first - once the expos are gone, quietly remove the cap

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #85: July 14, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Are the signs where F. Robinsson and F. Howard a part of the Ring of Honor? (That's where Werth's name is going, according to Mark Lerner at the VIP FanFest party.)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #86: July 14, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #88: August 09, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »
Werth made an appearance in an amateur men's league game in D.C., going 1-4 with a walk and a homer.  the story is worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/08/09/its-jayson-werth-bearded-retiree-makes-surprise-cameo-in-local-mens-league/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.707d82a6a688

update: apologies, didn't see that this had already been posted in minty's do you still play thread.

update update:  More Werth:  Calling into a local Philly radio show:

“They’ve got all these super nerds in the front office that know nothing about baseball but they like to project numbers and project players,” Werth said.

″... I think it’s killing the game. It’s to the point where just put computers out there. Just put laptops and what have you, just put them out there and let them play. We don’t even need to go out there anymore. It’s a joke.”

“When they come down, these kids from MIT, Stanford, Harvard, wherever they’re from, they’ve never played baseball in their life,” Werth continued. “When they come down to talk about stuff like [shifts], should I just bunt it over there? They’re like, ‘No, don’t do that. We don’t want you to do that. We want you to hit a homer.’ It’s just not baseball to me. We’re creating something that’s not fun to watch. It’s boring. You’re turning players into robots. You’ve taken the human element out of the game.”

more in the interview about his agent, Boras, and not wanting to play for the Mets:

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/20180808/jayson-werth-on-dropping-his-agent-and-mlbs-super-nerd-problem

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89: August 09, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »
Werth made an appearance in an amateur men's league game in D.C., going 1-4 with a walk and a homer.  the story is worth a read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/08/09/its-jayson-werth-bearded-retiree-makes-surprise-cameo-in-local-mens-league/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.707d82a6a688

update: apologies, didn't see that this had already been posted in minty's do you still play thread.

update update:  More Werth:  Calling into a local Philly radio show:

more in the interview about his agent, Boras, and not wanting to play for the Mets:

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/20180808/jayson-werth-on-dropping-his-agent-and-mlbs-super-nerd-problem

Boras responds:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/08/08/jayson-werth-on-dropping-scott-boras-bryce-harper-in-philly-and-mlbs-super-nerd-problem/?utm_term=.330dfc3840cd

A day after the interview aired, and a few hours after this story was originally published, the Boras Corporation reached out with a statement about Werth’s comments.

“Unfortunately, it appears someone has misled Jayson. We contacted all 30 teams numerous times during the offseason on his behalf, and we have phone logs, emails, and other records to back it up. We received no offers for Jayson in November, or otherwise. We are always prepared to support our work against inaccuracies spread by third parties. We understand the frustration and disappointment players can face and wish Jayson all the best.”

The Boras Corporation sends out a list of its free agents to every team at the start of free agency each November. Werth’s name was on that list. Boras Corp. provided that list for verification, as well as date-stamped phone logs that documented dozens of phone calls and emails made to executives on Werth’s behalf. Boras keeps detailed records of every offer and conversation, documentation that protects them against allegations of malpractice — and any litigation that could accompany them.

Offline sph274

« Reply #90: August 12, 2018, 12:23:34 AM »
i feel like those "nerds" are a hue part of baseball's fanbase now. Yea, not everyone can be a great athlete, but we can analyze and enjoy the game. Seems stupid and juvenile to rip on "the nerds"

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #91: August 12, 2018, 02:13:27 AM »
i feel like those "nerds" are a hue part of baseball's fanbase now. Yea, not everyone can be a great athlete, but we can analyze and enjoy the game. Seems stupid and juvenile to rip on "the nerds"

Let's not forget teams rely on these "nerds" to make decisions about recruiting, lineups and other factors.

Offline imref

« Reply #92: October 11, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »
11 years ago... We really should have won the WS that year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #93: October 11, 2023, 05:03:40 PM »
Pete freaking Kozma.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #94: October 11, 2023, 05:20:16 PM »
Pete freaking Kozma.

If he were pope, his pope name Would be Pope Peter freaking Kozma I.

Offline imref

« Reply #95: October 11, 2023, 05:55:58 PM »
so what's tougher to swallow? That Werth's walk-off was 11 years ago, or that he retired 5 years ago?

Sigh.