Author Topic: Bowden please do something!  (Read 2205 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

Bowden please do something!
« Topic Start: August 06, 2005, 10:22:04 PM »
Our offence well really sucks! I knew, we'd not last long with this kind of offence.We gave up just 3 runs but we can't win.I'd call someone from the farm to make a change! Short? Orie? Zimmerman isn't ready but damn it....I'd try Watson as our leadoff or something.I'm surprised we did nothing before the trade deadlie (beside the Watson trade).I'd give Castilla some days off.......

I'm a die hard nats fan and I think, our current roster is all right but....I'm sure I'm not the only one pissed off here.

Offline esoteric

Re: Bowden please do something!
« Reply #1: August 06, 2005, 10:27:39 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"
Our offence well really sucks! I knew, we'd not last long with this kind of offence.We gave up just 3 runs but we can't win.I'd call someone from the farm to make a change! Short? Orie? Zimmerman isn't ready but damn it....I'd try Watson as our leadoff or something.I'm surprised we did nothing before the trade deadlie (beside the Watson trade).I'd give Castilla some days off.......

I'm a die hard nats fan and I think, our current roster is all right but....I'm sure I'm not the only one pissed off here.

We have several problems.  Bowden is one of them.  He refuses to make moves which would implicate his own decisionmaking, even when it's obvious to everybody but him that these screw-ups aren't concealable.  That's why Guzman's still in the batting order (although if his troubles were down solely to the batting coach trying to alter his stance, then we're dealing with truly epochal stupidity), and why Vinny hasn't sat.  Both were big JB off-season acquisitions.

FR is a problem too - I blame him squarely for Ryan Church's problems.  I get the strong sense that Church is desperate not to be seen as 'weak' by Robinson, who develops prejudices against players very quickly and ineradicably, and that this brought him back from the DL much sooner than he should have returned.  I worry immensely about him doing himself permanent harm whilst playing injured, either in terms of physical damage, or in losing his confidence.  Of all the things that piss me off about this season, this is the one which angers me the most.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #2: August 06, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »
Kenzafan has been calling for Watson, and I'm going to have to jump on that train.  I have never seen him play, but canNOT be any worse that Church right now.  Also, you can't tell me that Wilson is a better player than Byrd.  (Unfortunately I think we are stuck with Wilson as they will not give up on him).  

Despite Vinny's homer tonight he needs time on the DL.  Throw Blanco in there......anybody.....to play 3B along with Carroll and Baerga.  

A real shake up is needed.  Even though we have played like crap since July 4, we are still only one game out.  That is what makes this so frustrating.  

Bottom line, I'm afraid of what moves Bowden might pull next.  Everything he touches seems to turn to crap right now.

Offline esoteric

« Reply #3: August 06, 2005, 10:34:29 PM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
Kenzafan has been calling for Watson, and I'm going to have to jump on that train.  I have never seen him play, but canNOT be any worse that Church right now.  Also, you can't tell me that Wilson is a better player than Byrd.  (Unfortunately I think we are stuck with Wilson as they will not give up on him).  

Despite Vinny's homer tonight he needs time on the DL.  Throw Blanco in there......anybody.....to play 3B along with Carroll and Baerga.  

A real shake up is needed.  Even though we have played like crap since July 4, we are still only one game out.  That is what makes this so frustrating.  

Bottom line, I'm afraid of what moves Bowden might pull next.  Everything he touches seems to turn to crap right now.

It's the fact that we're still SO FRIGGIN' CLOSE that gives me heartburn.  If I could just toss my hands up and say "okay, next year" then I could return to watching the games without risking an aneurysm, and the boys could go out and play for pride rather than pressure, experiment by calling up some prospects, etc.  But for whatever reason we refuse to fall out of the running.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #4: August 06, 2005, 10:42:06 PM »
Quote from: "esoteric"
Quote from: "rileyn"

It's the fact that we're still SO FRIGGIN' CLOSE that gives me heartburn.  If I could just toss my hands up and say "okay, next year" then I could return to watching the games without risking an aneurysm, and the boys could go out and play for pride rather than pressure, experiment by calling up some prospects, etc.  But for whatever reason we refuse to fall out of the running.

Not only that, all of a sudden the Astros lose 3 in a row and we are unable to take advantage of this opening.  Also, the Astros may finally be cooling off a bit right now and we go to Houston for a huge series this week without having to face Clemens and Oswalt.  The Nats have been given every freakin' chance to win this damn thing, but they keep tripping over themselves.  As a result, I'm miserable.

natslive

« Reply #5: August 06, 2005, 11:21:34 PM »
I agree on Church - I think he's trying to prove something to Frank and unfortunately should have stayed out longer.....not that it will happen but I think we should put Vinny, Vidro (has no range and think his leg is bothering him) and Guillen on the DL - call up Harris/Watson and Short and play the following - OF of Wilkerson, Watson and Church - sit Wilson's butt down not only can't he hit - he gets the worst jumps on balls and turns the wrong way constantly......at least Byrd could field, if Church is still hurting maybe he should go back on the DL and bring Byrd back.....have Nick at 1B, 2B - Harris/Short and Jamey, SS Guzman (let's face it he won't be sitting as long as Frank is manager) platoon with Jamey, 3B - some combo of Blanco, Jamey, Baerga and possibly Short........speaking of Carlos - where's he been?  Cepicky has been getting the PH call lately and struck out most every time......and have Schneider at catcher but am wondering if he'll be on the DL next since Bennett keeps playing - wish Gary was better defensively

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: August 06, 2005, 11:29:25 PM »
Over the course of the Nats first 81 games (where they played 19 games over .500), the pitching allowed 4.11 runs per game, since then the pitching has gotten even better, giving up just 3.83 runs per game.

You would think that would help the Nats win more often, but nope, not the case, because the offense, which averaged 4.13 runs per game in the first 81 games, has dropped to an average of 3.1 runs per game over their last 29 games. (THAT'S MORE THAN ONE RUN PER GAME LESS)

I've said it before and will again, Castilla and Guillen have no business playing as hurt as they are. They are hurting the team, and Frank Robinson and his precious chemistry are going down the toilet. Send Castilla and Guillen to the DL, call up Brendon Watson (.357 BA and a .404 OBP) and Rick Short (.384 BA and a .459 OBP) Have Watson play RF for the two weeks Guillen is on the DL and if he does the job like many think he will, shove Guillen in left field when he gets back and keep Wilkerson in center. Have Rick Short split playing time with Vidro and if his bat continues to stay hot, have Vidro work off the bench. For third base, either give Blanco a chance while Castilla is out, or call up Juan Melo (.336 BA, and a .376) and see if he can do the job. Melo can also play SS every once in a while.

If it all works out, the Nats will end up with very strong bench and because the team would be hitting and winning, everyone would be happy, well everyone except Wilson...

natslive

« Reply #7: August 06, 2005, 11:46:21 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Over the course of the Nats first 81 games (where they played 19 games over .500), the pitching allowed 4.11 runs per game, since then the pitching has gotten even better, giving up just 3.83 runs per game.

You would think that would help the Nats win more often, but nope, not the case, because the offense, which averaged 4.13 runs per game in the first 81 games, has dropped to an average of 3.1 runs per game over their last 29 games. (THAT'S MORE THAN ONE RUN PER GAME LESS)

I've said it before and will again, Castilla and Guillen have no business playing as hurt as they are. They are hurting the team, and Frank Robinson and his precious chemistry are going down the toilet. Send Castilla and Guillen to the DL, call up Brendon Watson (.357 BA and a .404 OBP) and Rick Short (.384 BA and a .459 OBP) Have Watson play RF for the two weeks Guillen is on the DL and if he does the job like many think he will, shove Guillen in left field when he gets back and keep Wilkerson in center. Have Rick Short split playing time with Vidro and if his bat continues to stay hot, have Vidro work off the bench. For third base, either give Blanco a chance while Castilla is out, or call up Juan Melo (.336 BA, and a .376) and see if he can do the job. Melo can also play SS every once in a while.

If it all works out, the Nats will end up with very strong bench and because the team would be hitting and winning, everyone would be happy, well everyone except Wilson...

agreed....I have to think the pitchers are getting frustated - I mean if your ERA is under 4 you are doing a great job and should win many games but when your team only averages 3 a game I imagine they must feel like they have to pitch a shutout everytime they go out there which puts even more pressure on them

bramos

« Reply #8: August 07, 2005, 12:26:11 AM »
Quote from: "esoteric"
.  It's the fact that we're still SO FRIGGIN' CLOSE that gives me heartburn...

Heartburn you can settle easily by popping a few pills, there is no immediate relief for what is ailing the Nats right now.  All the forces are conspiring against us from regain that winning form.  Brandon Watson may turn out to be the next Ichiro, as Jose Cardenal has suggested, but, for the moment, we're still talking about a AAA player here.  He, like many of his teammates on New Orleans, is having a highly productive year.  But, bear in mind, the Zephyrs play in a hitter's park and a high-scoring league.  Take a look at what Cepicky has done with us and you get a better gauge on how well those other guys would do if and when they come up.  I agree with Kenza that we should just shut Castilla and Guillen - not to mention his mouth - down if they are hurting physically.  What good is it for Guillen to tell us now that he hasn't been the same since he tweaked something in the Blue Jays series back in late June - well over a month after the fact!!!  By trying to be a hero, he has probably cost us more in the W column.  FR finally admitted yesterday that he thought the chemistry on the team was slipping.  Well, tell us something we don't know, Frank???

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #9: August 07, 2005, 01:23:53 AM »
Since Slump Began...
Problem: Offense / Scoring Runs

Solution #1: ADD BAT = Wil Cordero returns; result - complete failure

Solution #2: ADD BAT = Preston Wilson; result - 3 HRs but no offensive momentum change

Solution #3: ADD ALL-STAR BAT = Jose Vidro; result - stagnant performance

Solution #4: SUBTRACT BAT = Wil Cordero DFA'd; result - improved the batting order but pissed off our ace: Livan Hernandez

Solution #5: BRING BACK BAT = Nick Johnson returns from DL; result - improved offense but still unable to create momentum for much needed RBIs

Solution #6: BRING BACK BAT = Ryan Church returns from DL; result - brought back too early, unable to perform to potential

Solution #7: BRING BACK BAT = Jose Guillen returns from DL; result - brought back too early, unable to perform to potential

Solution #8: SWALLOW PRIDE = allow Christian Guzman to go back to the way he batted in Minnesota; result - finally producing and laying wood on the ball.  Probably the only real good decision made so far.

The fact that the pitching has actually improved during this "slump" highlights the total helplessness of the bats.  The sad truth is that these guys are only playing as well as they can.  We have only had a handful of large scoring games, and if anybody can remember way back in Spring Training Frank was worried about the pathetic hitting of this lineup in Florida.  I hate to say it...but the only way we are going to win a spot in the playoffs this year is through an amazing amount of 1 run luck like we had during the first half.  Even then, it's over after the first round.  You can't succeed in post season with no offense.

But all is not lost.  This is a FANTASTIC base in which to start from next year.  We already have half the problem licked: the pitching.  That's going to be a HUMONGOUS burden off the owner next year to improve this team.

In the meantime, just hold the faith...root for our guys and LETS GO NATS!   :D

natslive

« Reply #10: August 07, 2005, 11:12:28 AM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Since Slump Began...
But all is not lost.  This is a FANTASTIC base in which to start from next year.  We already have half the problem licked: the pitching.  That's going to be a HUMONGOUS burden off the owner next year to improve this team.

In the meantime, just hold the faith...root for our guys and LETS GO NATS!   :D

Senators - well said......I do think we need to look at this with some perspective - while I got my hopes up based on our fantastic play early in the season - if someone would have said at this point you'll be in the wild card race and be 6 games over .500 most fans would have been estatic (I picked us to win 85 before the season so that may have been a little optimistic).  The pitching is good altho I think we need another bullpen arm - preferably a long reliever and we need a ton of hitting but hopefully we can fix that in the off season....until then GO NATS and keep the faith....off to the game shortly

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #11: August 07, 2005, 05:03:21 PM »
the announcers for the nats game today said that Watson is expected to be called up tuesday. thats good news. also, guillen's shoulder might only need rest instead of surgery. the pitching has been great, but we definetly need more runs.

guzman has been hitting the ball hard a lot and is finally getting some hits.
i agree with everyone about church. it seems like hes trying to hard at the plate and is swinging at everything.

castilla isnt playing well with a bad knee. give him some rest. use carroll, baerga, blanco, whoever to play 3rd.

wilkerson is at least a HR/2B threat. hes better than Cepicky. Nick's been getting on base every game, but no one can seem to bring him in.
poor baserunning ruined a possible big inning for us. with loaiza on 2nd and carroll on 1st, 1 out, loaiza got picked off trying to get a big lead. i like the aggressiveness on the basepaths, but pick your spots. we couldve had a big inning. that pickoff killed the momentum.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #12: August 10, 2005, 01:10:25 PM »
See? we made a change of atmosphere by culling up Watson and we won vs the astros! Good game by Watson! The chief was great, last night!

Montcobaseball

« Reply #13: August 10, 2005, 01:32:54 PM »
I am not really sure that Bowden has all his marbles.  He is on channel 4 almost every night cracking jokes and dressing in cheese hats, and last night he had a huge wiffle ball bat in his hands.  I don't recall ever seeing a GM act this way.   He is no Bill Veek.  He is the GM of the Washington Nationals.  Not many of his decisions have gone well.