Author Topic: 2018 Major League Draft  (Read 4084 times)

Offline RD

Re: 2018 Major League Draft
« Topic Start: June 04, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
@RD give me a run down.

I don't think I'm anymore qualified to break him down than anyone else, but I like the pick. The background as a two way threat and multi sport guy mean he hasn't been focused 100% on pitching. 1, I think that's less wear and tear on the arm and 2, the stuff is obvious despite probably needing more work being consistent with his mechanics.

He was a guy that was mocked to us before the draft, so I had seen some things him. The interesting thing I saw is he had two distinct deliveries the past two years. He essentially pitched out of the stretch with a short step as a junior, but had a more traditional windup as a senior. I don't know when the change occurred but I wonder if there were some release point inconsistencies that maybe led to the bicep tendinitis that apparently caused a mini slide for him. I could see short arming the ball being an issue that potentially played a role. Total speculation on my part, just throwing it out there.

It's not a perfect comparison, but loosely I thought of Jack Flaherty as a comp for Denaburg. Similar frames and athleticism coming out, plus the whole two way role possibly limiting some development on the mound. Denaburg may have a more explosive fastball at te same point though.

He's a good looking kid though. Just needs the reps. Good frame with the ability to fill out a bit, a good athlete, and despite not focusing on pitching full time, has a powerful arsenal and a delivery that is easily repeatable. Picking st the end of the round, I don't know if you could do much better from a talent perspective.