Author Topic: Critical week  (Read 1404 times)

Offline RichMinSC

Critical week
« Topic Start: May 29, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
this week can set the tone for the rest of the season.

with the Brave and Mets beating up on each other then we follow playing a 4 game set with the Braves. the Phillies are on  a west coast trip playing LA and SF (which are both playing better)  i don't see Ohilly going better than 3-4 we have to got 5-2 at worst this week , which would leave ATL 4-4 for the week at best

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Critical week
« Reply #1: May 29, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
It's a big week, but it won't make or break the Nationals.

Nats get a split with the Braves, they'll be in good shape. Particularly with Murphy and Zimmerman coming back.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: May 29, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
I took the liberty of fixing this for you. :|

Nats get a split with the Braves, they'll be in good shape. Particularly with Murphy coming back and Zimmerman on the bench.

Offline RichMinSC

« Reply #3: May 29, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »

Nats get a split with the Braves, they'll be in good shape. Particularly with Murphy and Zimmerman coming back.

zimmerman coming back is NOt a plus  Goodwin coming back is a plus

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: May 29, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »
Awful lot of hate for a guy who hit .303   /.358   /.573 last season and hitting .316/.361   /.614    in his previous 15 games before going on the DL.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #5: May 29, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
Awful lot of hate for a guy who hit .303   /.358   /.573 last season and hitting .316/.361   /.614    in his previous 15 games before going on the DL.

Yeah, but he needs 100 ABs to start hitting again, so he may as well sit out the important games at first.  I for one won't accept anything less than a sweep.  Let's end this charade that the 2018 Atlanta Braves are contenders.  Please.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #6: May 29, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

Thank you. Not sure why there is so much animosity for a guy who's done so much for the Nats not only in years gone by but in the recent past.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #7: May 29, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
Thank you. Not sure why there is so much animosity for a guy who's done so much for the Nats not only in years gone by but in the recent past.

There are better options these days...nobody can play forever.  Give him his gold watch and a rocking chair...the time has come...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: May 29, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
Yeah, but he needs 100 ABs to start hitting again, so he may as well sit out the important games at first.  I for one won't accept anything less than a sweep.  Let's end this charade that the 2018 Atlanta Braves are contenders.  Please.

Let's hope it's 100 AB's and not 100 PA's. 

Offline RichMinSC

« Reply #9: May 29, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
There are better options these days...nobody can play forever.  Give him his gold watch and a rocking chair...the time has come...

EXACTLY

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #10: May 29, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

I'm sure you said exactly the same thing prior to last season.  With the season he had last year, he should get a chance to get it going again this season. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #11: May 29, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
I'm sure you said exactly the same thing prior to last season.  With the season he had last year, he should get a chance to get it going again this season.

Adam Lind had very similar numbers playing part time last year, albeit with his own set of fielding issues...

...for $2MM...not $14MM...

Zimm would be another one of these unemployed first basemen/left fielders looking for a minimum salary job if we weren't overpaying him.  I know I'd sign Adam Lind before I signed Zimm...

We have better options now, all IMHO, of course...

But it's moot...the albatross isn't going anywhere.  We always seem to have at least 1 albatross every year.  Zimm can fill that roll next year as well...for $18MM...

« Reply #12: May 29, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »

Adam Lind had very similar numbers playing part time last year, albeit with his own set of fielding issues...

Zimm would be another one of these unemployed first basemen/left fielders looking for a minimum salary job if we weren't overpaying him.  I know I'd sign Adam Lind before I signed Zimm...

But it's moot...the albatross isn't going anywhere.  We always seem to have at least 1 albatross every year.  Zimm can fill that roll next year as well...for $18MM...

Adam Lind, Matt Adams...they pad their numbers by a smaller sample in only favorable matchups.  I'm sure Zim would have amazing numbers if he only faced lefties.  Lind doing what Zim did last year over a full season playing everyday is an entirely different animal.  If teams believed he could do that, he'd have a job.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: May 29, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »

Every Contending team has an albatross except for maybe the Astros. And most of them are worse than Zimm's contract. It's the price of doing business. This is how baseball worked. Overpay in later years in exchange for underpaying in productive years. It's changing now,  but that's the way it has been for years.

The guy was top 20 in MVP voting in last year and started the All-Star Game last year.  And barely two months removed from that season the WNFF consensus is that he needs to hang it up.  I will never understand the Zimm Hate Here.

« Reply #14: May 29, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
Every Contending team has an albatross except for maybe the Astros. And most of them are worse than Zimm's contract. It's the price of doing business. This is how baseball worked. Overpay in later years in exchange for underpaying in productive years. It's changing now,  but that's the way it has been for years.

The guy was top 20 in MVP voting in last year and started the All-Star Game last year.  And barely two months removed from that season the WNFF consensus is that he needs to hang it up.  I will never understand the Zimm Hate Here.

Precisely.  Most contracts of that level end up being "bad" in the last few years.  I'd rather have Zim than Pujols.  You're also correct that teams are starting to try and change that.  Zim gave us GREAT value prior to that contract in his prime years, and he has had pretty good production all in all since.  Maybe he is "done," but he already was buried once before after the 2016 season.  We'll see.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: May 29, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
Precisely.  Most contracts of that level end up being "bad" in the last few years.

Most players are generally older than Zimm as well...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #16: May 29, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »

I don't hate him...I just don't like him...and he has no place on this team...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #17: May 29, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
I don't hate him...I just don't like him...and he has no place on this team...

if you don't like Ryan Zimmerman than you are #nanf

I agree that at this point Reynolds is the better option.  But Ryan Zimmerman has been, and will always be, my favorite Nat.

« Reply #18: May 29, 2018, 04:27:21 PM »
Fans can be so short-sighted on who is better now.  Players would never have the chance to work themselves out of slumps if fans called the shots.  Zim is going to have his days he rests once he returns.  We'll also put Adams in there a lot against tough righties because he mashes them.  Reynolds has had an amazing start to his Nats tenure, but let's look a little broader.  Ryan, at 32, hit .303/.358/.573 with 36 HRs and 108 RBI.  Reynolds, at 33, hit with the EXTREME benefit of Coors .267/.352/.487.  32 ABs this year doesn't put a career .238 hitter ahead of Zimmerman.

Come on.

Offline RichMinSC

« Reply #19: May 29, 2018, 04:57:59 PM »

I agree that at this point Reynolds is the better option.  But Ryan Zimmerman has been, and will always be, my favorite Nat.

Willie Mays is my favorite player should we sign him to roam CF I bet he could outhit MAT.. zimm's goos eis cooked  we stuck for 1  2/3  seasons then a buy out

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: May 29, 2018, 05:11:29 PM »
But Ryan Zimmerman has been, and will always be, my favorite Nat.

Among your other shortcomings...  :couch:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #21: May 29, 2018, 05:14:00 PM »
Among your other shortcomings...  :couch:

Hey, i'm open about my shortcomings.  And i'm short too (well...5'9"). :)

Offline Optics

« Reply #22: May 29, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »
I'm not sitting Adams/Reynolds just yet. They've been too productive.

We will take 3/4 from the Braves at least and begin to run away with the division.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #23: May 29, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
Nice to scan the lineup and not see any batting averages below .200.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #24: May 30, 2018, 01:30:19 AM »
Only career-long star, that's for sure.  Yunesky Maya notwithstanding