Author Topic: What's Wrong?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline More of #34

What's Wrong?
« Topic Start: April 25, 2018, 09:10:41 AM »
Nats don't look very good right now.  What do you see that's wrong?

1. Too much winning the past couple of years - you can't always have things go your way.

2. Injuries to Rendon and Murphy.

3. The bullpen isn't good enough.

4. The new manager - if so, what's he doing wrong?

5. Never mind.  Their luck is bound to change......but it better be soon.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: What's Wrong?
« Reply #1: April 25, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »
I don't think it's #4. I think it's injury (1), bad luck (5), and not enough pitching talent (3).

1. Too much winning the past couple of years - you can't always have things go your way.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #2: April 25, 2018, 09:15:37 AM »

2. Add Eaton in there.
3. This
5. If we get healthy, we'll start to rattle off some wins, but it'll be the ASB before we're in contention again, if then. We're just in too big of a hole right now.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #3: April 25, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
The bullpen is shockingly bad. Losing Murphy, Rendon, and Eaton is something no lineup in baseball could easily overcome. Some bad luck.

There is time to turn it on and get rolling but the time to do so is quickly running low. If we get too far behind early then even a super hot month could not be enough to pull even.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #4: April 25, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
The bullpen is shockingly bad. Losing Murphy, Rendon, and Eaton is something no lineup in baseball could easily overcome. Some bad luck.

There is time to turn it on and get rolling but the time to do so is quickly running low. If we get too far behind early then even a super hot month could not be enough to pull even.
You also have forgotten the regression of Zimmerman, Difo, Taylor and the recent decline of Harper.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #5: April 25, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
You also have forgotten the regression of Zimmerman, Difo, Taylor and the recent decline of Harper.
Zimmerman decline is something I think had to be expected.

Very disappointed in Difo.

Taylor I am not ready to shut the book on.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: April 25, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »
It's still really early. The Dodgers last year started 10-12, then had a couple really hot streaks and a really bad losing streak late in the year. We're not even out of April yet. There are things that need addressing, I'm not denying that, a baseball season is full of streaks and peaks and valleys.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #7: April 25, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
I'd say the issue is that in the majority of our games, we're scoring fewer runs than the teams we play.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #8: April 25, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »

I think the problem is 2, 3, and 4.   It doesn't look like this avatar is going anywhere soon.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #9: April 25, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »
Let's not overthink this. It's simple: the team stinks. Expectations were way unrealistic.  Best rotation in baseball?  We have two reliable starters.  Best lineup?  The lineup without three of its best four hitters is anemic, and it is doubtful that even two much less three of them will ever all be healthy and in baseball condition at the same time.  Bullpen? Those three relievers we added overperformed last season and we're now seeing the real thing.   

I've tried to be optimistic, but at this point, I'm losing hope that we can salvage the season. Last night did it for me.  After losing the first game of the series I was sure we would kick things into a higher gear and win the next two and be on our way. Instead, we didn't even show up.  I think the players may have given up.

Dusty was a (regular season) miracle worker and we'd probably be 16-8 with him despite the weaknesses, but Dave is a mere human.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #10: April 25, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
Zimmerman decline is something I think had to be expected.

But not batting under .200 with the preponderance of GIDP

Offline hotshot

« Reply #11: April 25, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »
But not batting under .200 with the preponderance of GIDP

Admittedly, Zim's LONG decline hasn't been a straight line drop. But ... he's been every bit this bad before.

Offline More of #34

« Reply #12: April 25, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
My apologies to Mr. Eaton.  We'd surely be better with him in the line-up. 

Anyone else feel that a losing season would surely push Harper out of the door?

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #13: April 25, 2018, 10:16:06 AM »
For a lot of last year, I was thinking Turner is not as good as everyone thinks he is.  This season really seems to be confirming that.  He's been on base 3 times during this 4 game winning streak.   He's not a lead off hitter and I don't know what his defensive stats are like, but his range at SS seems shockingly bad for a guy as fast as he is. 

Turner and Zimmerman are probably fine mixed in with our healthy line up, but they sure look exposed when we have these key injuries and need to count on them.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: April 25, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
I'm assuming he's gone win or lose.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #15: April 25, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »

I haven't entered the Harper debate regarding his departure but he surely can't be pleased with his and the teams performance to date. Will it have an impact on his decision ? Yes, but to what degree? If he has a "bad" year is it possible that he would re-sign for one year in hopes that he rights the ship and will be considered for the largest contract in MLB history in FA?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: April 25, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »

If we are out of contention or even middling around .500 we have to trade him.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #17: April 25, 2018, 10:52:00 AM »
   He's not a lead off hitter and I don't know what his defensive stats are like, but his range at SS seems shockingly bad for a guy as fast as he is. 

He hasn't shown the ability to consistently get on base, and hasn't played a full season yet, at an acceptable rate for a leadoff hitter. Defensively, he's not "shockingly bad" but he's nothing special either.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #18: April 25, 2018, 11:33:12 AM »

He hasn't shown the ability to consistently get on base, and hasn't played a full season yet, at an acceptable rate for a leadoff hitter. Defensively, he's not "shockingly bad" but he's nothing special either.
I tried looking up his defensive stats to see if they match what I think I've seen, and he seems to be at or near the bottom for short stops in all of them both this year and last year.  Admittedly, I don't have a lot of knowledge or trust in defensive stats, but it seems that he doesn't get to a lot of balls hit to the short stop side that he should get to.

I'm not completely convinced that he's a terrible short stop.  Can someone convince me that he is better than terrible?

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #19: April 25, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »

A losing season won't push him out the door any more than a WS win.  He's gone.

Online imref

« Reply #20: April 25, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »
What's wrong in a nutshell: Only one active roster player is hitting above .270: Max Scherzer.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #21: April 25, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
What's wrong in a nutshell: Only one active roster player is hitting above .270: Max Scherzer.

Would it be worth converting him into an outfielder? (serious question)

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #22: April 25, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
The red sox and the nationals are the only teams above the luxury tax this year. No way they can sign Harper to a new contract.

Online imref

« Reply #23: April 25, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
The red sox and the nationals are the only teams above the luxury tax this year. No way they can sign Harper to a new contract.

sure they can.  Coming off the books next year are Murphy ($17.5m), Winters ($10.5), Madson ($7.6) and Kelley ($5.5).  Harper is earning $21.6 million this year, so that's a ton of available money to boost him to say $35 million if they decide they want to keep him.

Offline Expos

« Reply #24: April 25, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »
sure they can.  Coming off the books next year are Murphy ($17.5m), Winters ($10.5), Madson ($7.6) and Kelley ($5.5).  Harper is earning $21.6 million this year, so that's a ton of available money to boost him to say $35 million if they decide they want to keep him.

We have seen this team without Murphy. Personally I'd rather keep him and sign Rendon to an extension over Harper.

When Harper can carry a team like Trout can then let's talk.

We should have traded Harper this off-season, got rid of Zimmerman after his good season and signed JD Martinez like I said.

1- Turner SS
2- Eaton RF
3-Martinez LF
4- Murphy 2B
5-Rendon 3B
6- First Base-- who cares. Better than Zimmerman.
7- Taylor CF
8- Severino C