Author Topic: Orioles Attendance  (Read 26073 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Orioles Attendance
« Reply #50: May 09, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
OC pretty much nailed it.    Even with the hot start, the Bucs are regressing to norm.      I think a lot of the fans in that area are fearing another  McClatchy type run.    The folks in Pittsburgh remember the 20 years of below .500 baseball.

What many franchises have failed to realise is that, even in the midst of a full-on rebuild, you have to give the local fandom some reason to keep coming out to the matches. Look at the Atlanta Braves of recent years, churning their roster at a practically unprecedented rate and yet they never entertained any offers for Freddie Freeman - because he's one player that the people might pay to see. The Pirates, on the other hand, never saw things this way, stripped their roster, and are now paying for it at the gate.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #51: May 09, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »
Smaller ballpark than many.

[I know dodgy attendance figures - I'm a Mystics fan]

You gonna follow them to their new venue in Southeast when they move?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #52: May 09, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
No fan base will put up with an endless rebuild. I think deep playoff runs buy you credit/time with fans, but that’s not endless.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #53: May 09, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »
You gonna follow them to their new venue in Southeast when they move?

I'll give them a go for at least one season (the new venue will be quite close to the Metro station) but if it's too dodgy in the neighbourhood then I'll drop them. The new venue will seat 4200 which is a lot closer to what they've latterly been drawing.

That's the way the WNBA is going these days though - the New York Liberty, for instance, is leaving Madison Square Garden in favour of  some nondescript venue in Westchester. Those early dreams of 'We Got Next' and huge crowds and telly numbers have been pretty much binned - if the league is to survive henceforth it'll be as the niche league that they basically always were.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #54: May 09, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
Not to be too obvious, but shouldn't we be looking at attendance per game and not overall attendance? Nats 13th in attendance per game, Boston 9th.

Right, the list wasn't sorted properly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #55: May 09, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
I'll give them a go for at least one season (the new venue will be quite close to the Metro station) but if it's too dodgy in the neighbourhood then I'll drop them. The new venue will seat 4200 which is a lot closer to what they've latterly been drawing.

That's the way the WNBA is going these days though - the New York Liberty, for instance, is leaving Madison Square Garden in favour of  some nondescript venue in Westchester. Those early dreams of 'We Got Next' and huge crowds and telly numbers have been pretty much binned - if the league is to survive henceforth it'll be as the niche league that they basically always were.

The liberty being for sale for whoever is willing to take them with no buyers is a bad sign for the league.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #56: May 09, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Smaller ballpark than many.

[I know dodgy attendance figures - I'm a Mystics fan]

That 33,000+ boston is averaging is over 95% capacity.

Gotcha - I had no idea Fenway was that small. One of these days I'll get up there to see a game, but it probably won't be until they announce they're building a new stadium and tearing the old one down.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #57: May 09, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
I don't get the angst over attendance.  Ballparks are too big, there are so many ways to follow a game nowadays.  It's time to reduce the size of ballparks and drive up demand.  If a historic franchise (Boston), playing in an historic park (Boston), playing great baseball (Boston), in a small capacity park (Boston) can't operate at 100% capacity, it's time to reevaluate attendance figures.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #58: May 09, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
Orioles up by two in the bottom of the ninth. Royals get runners on second and third...and can’t score them. Orioles win.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #59: May 10, 2018, 07:33:23 AM »
One thing that probably isn't helping matters at the gates either (besides, of course, the abysmal W/L record) is the interminable Manny Machado soap opera. Everybody knows he's going to be someplace else after this season (because he'll be a free agent extremely desirable to other clubs and the Orioles in all likelihood won't be able to keep him) but the front office has just let this thing drag on and on - never mind that as the FA window and the no-waiver trade deadline get closer and closer the prospective return in a trade gets lower and lower. It just leaves a pall hanging over the franchise and the matchdays.

Compare this with how quickly and efficiently the Mets disposed of Matt Harvey - the curtain has now rung down on this soap opera, and by Memorial Day no one will remember this (except when the Mets play the Reds - they just finished the away series and have the series at Schiti Field coming in early August).

Offline imref

« Reply #60: May 10, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »
One thing that probably isn't helping matters at the gates either (besides, of course, the abysmal W/L record) is the interminable Manny Machado soap opera. Everybody knows he's going to be someplace else after this season (because he'll be a free agent extremely desirable to other clubs and the Orioles in all likelihood won't be able to keep him) but the front office has just let this thing drag on and on - never mind that as the FA window and the no-waiver trade deadline get closer and closer the prospective return in a trade gets lower and lower. It just leaves a pall hanging over the franchise and the matchdays.

Compare this with how quickly and efficiently the Mets disposed of Matt Harvey - the curtain has now rung down on this soap opera, and by Memorial Day no one will remember this (except when the Mets play the Reds - they just finished the away series and have the series at Schiti Field coming in early August).

You'd think the Orioles would trade Machado well before the trade deadline.  I mentioned Atlanta as a possible destination for him.

Offline mixedmutt

« Reply #61: May 10, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
Atlanta has Austin RIley waiting in the wings, they will save the money and keep their prospects so they can sign Harper and an ace pitcher this offseason.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #62: May 10, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »
Good lord why would Bryce go to that garbage franchise? Bryce and Freddie would be 50% of their payroll. Why wouldn't he just go to the Yankees or Dodgers where they also have a ton of young controllable talent but can buy whomever they want as well?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #63: May 11, 2018, 06:49:39 AM »
Good lord why would Bryce go to that garbage franchise? Bryce and Freddie would be 50% of their payroll. Why wouldn't he just go to the Yankees or Dodgers where they also have a ton of young controllable talent but can buy whomever they want as well?

The money...that's why.

[I still think Harper is headed for the Dodgers aided by the Lords of Baseball - big-market franchise needs a hitting superstar with Kemp heading into retirement]

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #64: May 11, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
The money...that's why.

[I still think Harper is headed for the Dodgers aided by the Lords of Baseball - big-market franchise needs a hitting superstar with Kemp heading into retirement]

Why would Atlanta - a financially challenged team - offer him more than other, richer teams?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #65: May 11, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »
Why would Atlanta - a financially challenged team - offer him more than other, richer teams?
because math isn't their strong suit?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #66: May 11, 2018, 09:53:26 AM »
because math isn't their strong suit?

Haha. I mean the only problem with pre-arb years is they end :) So you can't just pay Freeman and Harper $55 million a year and expect to maintain a $120-million payroll, even with young cost-controlled talent. If I were Scott Boras there is no chance I would steer my MVP client (who clearly cares about winning a World Series) towards a club that shows no willingness to test the luxury tax threshold.

Could Atlanta win? Sure, but it's a much tighter window with smaller margins for error.

The lowest MLB payrolls right now are >$70 million, so that gives you an estimate of how much you'd have to add to Freeman/Harper to fill out a minimum roster.

Offline imref

« Reply #67: May 15, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
The Orioles showed the Caps game as well on the big screen during their rain delay tonight per WJFK

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #68: May 15, 2018, 10:36:40 PM »
The Orioles showed the Caps game as well on the big screen during their rain delay tonight per WJFK

Minor league teams often do that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #69: May 16, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »
:clap:

Minor league teams often do that.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #70: May 16, 2018, 10:17:38 AM »

Baltimore pretends that the Caps and the Wizards are its home teams.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #71: May 24, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
Steve Melewski‏Verified account @masnSteve 

Davis said it "was disappointing to be called into question by 2 guys I've put a lot of trust in."

Davis said "the last thing I want to hear about is someone within our organization questioning my work ethic, but I guess that is where we're at."

Apparently Jim Palmer called out Davis for his poor performance this year and implied he was less than honest when talking about how much time he's been putting in with the O's hitting coach, Scott Coolbaugh. Davis is batting .154 and making $21 million a year through 2022.

:popcorn:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #72: May 28, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
If the Orioles got 36,000 "paid" at the stadium today, then they are counting a lot of people who payed for tickets and did not show up. Lots of empty spaces, and lots of red.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #73: May 30, 2018, 07:40:06 AM »
...only 13,935 paid for Orioles-Nats Game 2 last night? As B. B. King so eloquently put it. 'the thrill is gone'.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #74: May 30, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
...only 13,935 paid for Orioles-Nats Game 2 last night? As B. B. King so eloquently put it. 'the thrill is gone'.
that is shocking, to be honest.  How do they draw for any weeknight game if they can't draw for the Nats?  I've had no problem getting Red Sox tickets there and it has not been anywhere near the crowds they used to get.

Along these lines, I talked to a beer vendor who works both OPACY and Nats Park.  I forget the guy's name, but he's got a pony tail and was profiled a couple of years ago in the Post.  I had thought he was giving up the Nats gig due to the travel and such, but he said he actually works more Nats games now than OPACY games.  I guess there really just isn't the volume up there to do much as a vendor.