Author Topic: Where is Ryan Zimmerman helping/hurting us? (2018)  (Read 34751 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I don't know why he didn't play in more spring training games, if for no other reason that to just alleviate some of the pressure to get off to a fast start.   The longer this goes on,  the worse he (and Martinez) look for their asinine plans to avoid real games.  It was a selfish move by a team leader.

By playing in more games, you mean more than the ONE game he played in? I totally agree. In the meantime, he shouldn't be hitting cleanup :hang:

Offline aBaltoNat

By playing in more games, you mean more than the ONE game he played in? I totally agree. In the meantime, he shouldn't be hitting cleanup :hang:

Bat him 8th.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Unfortunately Adams isn’t doing much better. 

Offline van lingle mungo

It was a selfish move by a team leader.

Yup, no way around it. And this from the same guy who said a number of years ago, and I quote, that he's "not a rah-rah guy, but one who tries to lead by example." Some WAPO writer wrote an article recently that supported his and Martinez' decision to have him blow off ST. A bunch of crap IMO....If you can't hang physically anymore, hang up your cleats and GTFO. Never thought I'd see a day when I'd have to call RZ's character into question. I guess all the millions finally made him soft, too.

Offline aBaltoNat

Yup, no way around it. And this from the same guy who said a number of years ago, and I quote, that he's "not a rah-rah guy, but one who tries to lead by example." Some WAPO writer wrote an article recently that supported his and Martinez' decision to have him blow off ST. A bunch of crap IMO....If you can't hang physically anymore, hang up your cleats and GTFO. Never thought I'd see a day when I'd have to call RZ's character into question. I guess all the millions finally made him soft, too.

I like this van dingleberry dude. Two thumbs up.

Offline imref

Iirc the zuck article presented Zimm as kind of a test case. In the minor league games he could bat at different times in the order or even every inning. The idea seemed to be that if it worked out well it could change ST for others going forward. So far it hasn’t exactly worked out.

Offline rileyn

Boswell also seemed to hint that it could be a not-so-subtle jab by a veteran against ownership (baseball in general) with what happened in the free agency market this off-season.  "You are not going pay us, then why should we play in meaningless games" type thing.  Either way, it's blowing up in his face.

Offline LoveAngelos

I hate to break it to Zimm but playing in meaningless  games is what puts food on his oversized mahogany table.
He chose this profession.  If he doesn't  like makin gozilllons of dollars playing a game he should get a real job.

Offline HalfSmokes

Zimmerman is the poster child for awful contracts. His second extension is the example owners are trying to avoid. I can’t thinknof a less sympathetic figure in the game than Zimmerman

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The question remains whether Zimmerman skipped spring training because he thought that he could better prepare in simulated games and he played the big star big shot card to get out of playing in front of the fans or if Zim and the team were hiding an injury. As Janes wrote at the end of spring:

@chelsea_janes Mar 27
No Zimmerman. Everyone, from top to bottom, has assured me he is fine. If he’s not, they have all lied - and lied alot. This is just weird.

Lied a lot is becoming increasingly likely the answer.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Zimmerman is the poster child for awful contracts. His second extension is the example owners are trying to avoid. I can’t thinknof a less sympathetic figure in the game than Zimmerman

Hard to hold it against the guy for taking what the billionaire owners offered. He didn't want to get struggle on the field.

The blame for this year lies once again with Rizzo and ownership. They should have traded Zimmerman in the offseason in a salary dump. Zim had a better OPS than every DH in the American League, they may not have gotten players in return but they could have freed up enormous salary space to sign a fifth starter or a decent catcher.

Online Natsinpwc

The overreaction in this thread is amazing. Zimmerman and the team apparently felt that the risk of a game injury outweighed benefits from spring training at bats. So be it. Wake me up at the end of April and tell me if it worked. Most of the work to get guys in shape in the spring is down outside the games. It may work or it may not. We shall see. I don't like Zimm's contract but it's not his fault that the team gave it to him. To call him a selfish and spoiled athlete is really a low blow for a guy who has always conducted himself well on and off the field. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves 

That said I would like to see Adams at 1B a couple times a week.

Offline dcpatti

The overreaction in this thread is amazing. Zimmerman and the team apparently felt that the risk of a game injury outweighed benefits from spring training at bats. So be it. Wake me up at the end of April and tell me if it worked. Most of the work to get guys in shape in the spring is down outside the games. It may work or it may not. We shall see. I don't like Zimm's contract but it's not his fault that the team gave it to him. To call him a selfish and spoiled athlete is really a low blow for a guy who has always conducted himself well on and off the field. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves 

That said I would like to see Adams at 1B a couple times a week.

:clap:

Offline LoveAngelos

The criticism of Zimmerman to date is not unwanted. He is not just struggling but is sub double Mendoza and the opponents  best hope when he bats with RISP. Batting him 4th makes Martinez look stupid.

Online Natsinpwc

The criticism of Zimmerman to date is not unwanted. He is not just struggling but is sub double Mendoza and the opponents  best hope when he bats with RISP. Batting him 4th makes Martinez look stupid.
The criticism is definitely unwanted. Especially by RZ.

Offline LoveAngelos

I agree he does not want it but he has invited it.

Offline Ray D

Zimmerman has stated repeatedly that the reason for his success in 2017 was that he was healthy, and that that was the only difference.  If that is to be believed, then he's injured. (Don't point to "slow start"; he started pretty good last year as I recall.)  And the only reason that makes any sense at all for why he didn't play exhibition games is that he's been hiding a injury all spring.

Seriously. These other theories floating around are all nonsense.  He's injured and he's been injured all spring.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Zimmerman has stated repeatedly that the reason for his success in 2017 was that he was healthy, and that that was the only difference.  If that is to be believed, then he's injured. (Don't point to "slow start"; he started pretty good last year as I recall.)  And the only reason that makes any sense at all for why he didn't play exhibition games is that he's been hiding a injury all spring.

Seriously. These other theories floating around are all nonsense.  He's injured and he's been injured all spring.

This is true, but it was also predictable based on his history. Should have shipped him out when his value peaked. No reason he needed to be a career Nat, we could still retire his jersey and even given him an eight arm statue without having him go 0-4 all season.

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
He'd do better if he played more, and he should.
Zim is knocking off $14m this year, $18m next. Earliest free agent 2020.

Offline Senatorswin

This is true, but it was also predictable based on his history. Should have shipped him out when his value peaked. No reason he needed to be a career Nat, we could still retire his jersey and even given him an eight arm statue without having him go 0-4 all season.

Zim has a no trade contract.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Zim has a no trade contract.

That just means he can help pick his new home. Why wouldn't he jump at the chance to play DH? He could reignite his career.

Offline imref

That just means he can help pick his new home. Why wouldn't he jump at the chance to play DH? He could reignite his career.

Seriously?

Offline aBaltoNat

Seriously?

He could. And he wouldn't have to play D.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
He could. And he wouldn't have to play D.

Right, with his foot pain he wouldn't need to stand at first for 90+ minutes a night. His arm issue becomes instantly irrelevant.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

He's worn out from getting too many plate appearances in spring training.   

8)