Author Topic: Facebook deal with MLB  (Read 413 times)

Online bluestreak

Facebook deal with MLB
« Topic Start: March 09, 2018, 10:58:22 AM »
Facebook has acquired rights to exclusively broadcast 25 games this season. Mostly Wednesday afternoons. No Nats games in the first month at least.

Online varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
Re: Facebook deal with MLB
« Reply #1: March 09, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
Facebook has acquired rights to exclusively broadcast 25 games this season. Mostly Wednesday afternoons. No Nats games in the first month at least.

When you say exclusive broadcast rights, do you mean streaming, or broadcast of any kind?  So no MASN for their game days?

Online bluestreak

« Reply #2: March 09, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
When you say exclusive broadcast rights, do you mean streaming, or broadcast of any kind?  So no MASN for their game days?

Seems like broadcast of any kind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/9/17100294/facebook-exclusively-streaming-25-mlb-games-2018

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: March 09, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
I wonder if they’ll be giving partial refunds to mlb.tv subscribers

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: March 09, 2018, 11:31:03 AM »
They'll call it Major League Botball.

Online dcpatti

« Reply #5: March 09, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »
If you follow Mark Zuckerman on twitter, you know that this means hilarity is going to ensue.

He gets a LOT of misdirected  hate tweets intended for Mark Zuckerberg, and he replies to some with the perfect amount of snark.

Online UMDNats

• 2018 nationals
« Reply #6: March 09, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
Seems like broadcast of any kind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/9/17100294/facebook-exclusively-streaming-25-mlb-games-2018

i don't think so, it just seems like this is streaming rights,  not broadcast rights. so you'll still get it on MASN.

but basically, since MASN doesn't offer an online streaming option for cable subscribers, it doesn't change anything if you watch the game on tv. i could be wrong, though.

this does screw people with MLB.tv, though. seriously, if i was an MLB tv customer i'd be pissed that all of the sudden i'm paying for games i can't watch on the app.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #7: March 09, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »
i don't think so, it just seems like this is streaming rights,  not broadcast rights. so you'll still get it on MASN.

but basically, since MASN doesn't offer an online streaming option for cable subscribers, it doesn't change anything if you watch the game on tv. i could be wrong, though.

this does screw people with MLB.tv, though. seriously, if i was an MLB tv customer i'd be pissed that all of the sudden i'm paying for games i can't watch on the app.

I think it’s exclusive to Facebook across all media.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2018/digital/news/facebook-mlb-exclusive-25-games-global-rights-1202722652/amp/

In the past two years, Facebook has demonstrated an appetite for acquiring live sports rights. Last season, MLB and Facebook teamed up live-stream 20 games on Friday nights. But those weren’t exclusive: The games for the 2017 season were national simulcasts of the participating home team’s local TV broadcast.

Under the new MLB deal, all of the games streamed on Facebook will be weekday afternoon matchups. The deal commences with the April 4 game between the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Mets starting at 1:10 p.m. ET.

This implies to me The games won’t be available for local broadcast.

Offline wj73

« Reply #8: March 09, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »
If you follow Mark Zuckerman on twitter, you know that this means hilarity is going to ensue.

He gets a LOT of misdirected  hate tweets intended for Mark Zuckerberg, and he replies to some with the perfect amount of snark.

I LOVE his replies to those misdirected tweets. They’re so funny I’ve actually snorted out loud a few times when reading them.  :mg:

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #9: March 13, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
i don't think so, it just seems like this is streaming rights,  not broadcast rights. so you'll still get it on MASN.[...]

...and FM-106.7. That's what it looks like to me too - the article says specifically 'exclusive streaming rights'.