Author Topic: Genealogy/DNA Tests  (Read 3347 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Genealogy/DNA Tests
« Reply #52: April 04, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »
My regional results:

Europe West 43%
Ireland / Scotland / Wales 37%
Great Britain 7%

(low confidence regions follow)
Scandinavia 4%
Europe South 4%
Finland /Northwest Russia 2%
Senegal 2%
Native American < 1%

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #53: April 05, 2018, 12:19:16 AM »
I did this because my Grandma Gert always said we were part American Indian, but she drank so we never quite knew what to believe. Well turns out she was fibbing so my results were as expected (Polish and Irish) with the exception of being a teeny percentage Ashkenazi Jewish, something I’d never even heard of before.

Offline wj73

« Reply #54: April 05, 2018, 07:38:58 AM »
I did this because my Grandma Gert always said we were part American Indian, but she drank so we never quite knew what to believe. Well turns out she was fibbing so my results were as expected (Polish and Irish) with the exception of being a teeny percentage Ashkenazi Jewish, something I’d never even heard of before.

My oncologist told me that many many people of European descent have at least a bit of Jewish ancestry.  Given the centuries of persecution and forced dispersion, many Jews found it safer to “pass” or otherwise keep their Jewish background private, and eventually that family knowledge is lost. Remember former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who had no idea her parents had converted from Judaism?  That has been happening for centuries.

Hidden or forgotten genetic background can turn out to be critical when it comes to diagnosis and treatment of diseases that tend to cluster in particular genetic groups. For instance, the BRCA genes associated with high rates of breast and ovarian cancer tend to be found in Ashkenazi Jews. When those genes were first identified, oncologists tended to test only patients known to have an Ashkenazi Jewish background for the gene. However, given that we now know that many Europeans have at least a smidgen of Jewish ancestry, oncologists now BRCA test far more patients, even those who have no known Ashkenazi ancestry.  Even that smidgen could be enough to pass the BRCA gene along. A positive BRCA status is an important factor when putting together a treatment plan for the cancer patient, but can also function as an early warning for other family members to get tested to see if they are at risk.

I love this genetic stuff.

Offline wj73

« Reply #55: April 05, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
you are just worried you'll find out you are not from western pa.

Wait, what??  Mitlen is from Western PA? Funny he never mentioned it.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #56: April 05, 2018, 08:32:44 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not looking at it, but if I'm not mistaken, our charts are almost identical, and I know I have native American blood that is not indicated either.

Gotta go check now...I think they sent you my report...or sent me yours...

Curious that once I was linked with my children, all of our reports changed.  Hmmmmmmm

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #57: April 05, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Can we call you Pocahantas??

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #58: April 05, 2018, 09:43:10 AM »
99.4%
Eastern European
40.4%
Poland
British & Irish
27.5%
United Kingdom
Scandinavian
2.0%
French & German
1.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish
0.7%
Balkan
0.2%
Broadly Northwestern European
18.2%
Broadly Southern European
0.6%
Broadly European
8.7%
East Asian & Native American
0.5%
Manchurian & Mongolian
0.4%
Broadly East Asian
0.1%
Western Asian & North African
0.1%

More different from Skippy than I thought...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #59: April 05, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
My oncologist told me that many many people of European descent have at least a bit of Jewish ancestry.  Given the centuries of persecution and forced dispersion, many Jews found it safer to “pass” or otherwise keep their Jewish background private, and eventually that family knowledge is lost. Remember former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who had no idea her parents had converted from Judaism?  That has been happening for centuries.

Hidden or forgotten genetic background can turn out to be critical when it comes to diagnosis and treatment of diseases that tend to cluster in particular genetic groups. For instance, the BRCA genes associated with high rates of breast and ovarian cancer tend to be found in Ashkenazi Jews. When those genes were first identified, oncologists tended to test only patients known to have an Ashkenazi Jewish background for the gene. However, given that we now know that many Europeans have at least a smidgen of Jewish ancestry, oncologists now BRCA test far more patients, even those who have no known Ashkenazi ancestry.  Even that smidgen could be enough to pass the BRCA gene along. A positive BRCA status is an important factor when putting together a treatment plan for the cancer patient, but can also function as an early warning for other family members to get tested to see if they are at risk.

I love this genetic stuff.

That is fascinating, thanks for sharing. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #60: April 05, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
99.4%
Eastern European
40.4%
Poland
British & Irish
27.5%
United Kingdom
Scandinavian
2.0%
French & German
1.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish
0.7%
Balkan
0.2%
Broadly Northwestern European
18.2%
Broadly Southern European
0.6%
Broadly European
8.7%
East Asian & Native American
0.5%
Manchurian & Mongolian
0.4%
Broadly East Asian
0.1%
Western Asian & North African
0.1%

More different from Skippy than I thought...
Not really, I'm more Irish than you seems to be it :glug:   :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #61: April 05, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
you are just worried you'll find out you are not from western pa.

One of my lines started in NA at Salem Village, MA.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #62: April 09, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »
Waitin' on my results  ...  probably June.    Missus and I were discussin' my DNA prospects after that ugly game last night.   Based on my 40 plus years of trudging through cemeteries, sittin' in courthouses in small W. PA towns lookin' at faded wills, goin' to odd places in MD lookin' for historical markers, listenin' to stories in the Montgomery, Prince Georges, etal historical societies, etc., I was givin' the missus my breakdown of what I think.     I had looked at VaRK's and Skip's DNA results (an old buddy of mine as well) and was taken by the diversity.   I got a large % down but it's the other breakdowns that I'm lookin' forward to seein.   I sez to the missus, here's what I know about where I come from, what do you think?     She sez, "I think you're 70% American and 30% cheap.     :shrug:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #63: April 09, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
She's 100% right.

Waitin' on my results  ...  probably June.    Missus and I were discussin' my DNA prospects after that ugly game last night.   Based on my 40 plus years of trudging through cemeteries, sittin' in courthouses in small W. PA towns lookin' at faded wills, goin' to odd places in MD lookin' for historical markers, listenin' to stories in the Montgomery, Prince Georges, etal historical societies, etc., I was givin' the missus my breakdown of what I think.     I had looked at VaRK's and Skip's DNA results (an old buddy of mine as well) and was taken by the diversity.   I got a large % down but it's the other breakdowns that I'm lookin' forward to seein.   I sez to the missus, here's what I know about where I come from, what do you think?     She sez, "I think your 70% American and 30% cheap.     :shrug:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #64: April 09, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
She's 100% right.

Long time ago, we were discussin' cheatin' on your spouse.    She sez, "You'll never cheat on me."    I asked, "How can you say that?"    I was stunned when she responded, "You're too lazy and you're too cheap."     I asked, "Then why did you marry me?"    She sez, "Because you're cute."     Well, there is that.    So I have no doubt she's 100% right  ....   all the time.    ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #65: April 09, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
That, and she likes old cars and golfer tans.  :)

Long time ago, we were discussin' cheatin' on your spouse.    She sez, "You'll never cheat on me."    I asked, "How can you say that?"    I was stunned when she responded, "You're too lazy and you're too cheap."     I asked, "Then why did you marry me?"    She sez, "Because you're cute."     Well, there is that.    So I have no doubt she's 100% right  ....   all the time.    ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #66: April 09, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »
Waitin' on my results  ...  probably June.    Missus and I were discussin' my DNA prospects after that ugly game last night.   Based on my 40 plus years of trudging through cemeteries, sittin' in courthouses in small W. PA towns lookin' at faded wills, goin' to odd places in MD lookin' for historical markers, listenin' to stories in the Montgomery, Prince Georges, etal historical societies, etc., I was givin' the missus my breakdown of what I think.     I had looked at VaRK's and Skip's DNA results (an old buddy of mine as well) and was taken by the diversity.   I got a large % down but it's the other breakdowns that I'm lookin' forward to seein.   I sez to the missus, here's what I know about where I come from, what do you think?     She sez, "I think you're 70% American and 30% cheap.     :shrug:
I'm afraid I might be related to some WNFF posters.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #67: April 09, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
I'm afraid I might be related to some WNFF posters.

Nightshift guy (African American/Native American) and I (N. Europe/who knows what else  ...  waitin' on my results to find out) used to talk about everything in the morning when we changed shifts.    We knew each other for over 30 years.   In fact, I interviewed and hired him in the late 70s.   Anyway, we talked about genealogy on occasion.     Our hypothesis was, "If your people were in NA prior to 1700, 100% we're related."     To extrapulate (?), "If you were in WNFF prior to 2012, we're related."   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #68: April 09, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
Nightshift guy (African American/Native American) and I (N. Europe/who knows what else  ...  waitin' on my results to find out) used to talk about everything in the morning when we changed shifts.    We knew each other for 30 years.   In fact, I interviewed and hired him in the late 70s.   Anyway, we talked about genealogy on occasion.     Our hypothesis was, "If your people were in NA prior to 1700, we're related."     To extapulate (?), "If you were in WNFF prior to 2012, we're related."   
As long as I'm not from western PA.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #69: April 09, 2018, 12:42:15 PM »
As long as I'm not from western PA.

That doesn't mean we ain't related.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #70: April 26, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
Got my results in a message from Ancestry.    Not sure when I'll open it.

OT (kind of)   This is the kind of thing that concerns me.    It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to submit a sample.   In addition, it's the reason I don't wanna be on a tree and I don't want any "relatives" contacting me.    Who else is lookin' at this stuff?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/golden-state-killer-dna-report/index.html

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #71: April 26, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »

OT (kind of)   This is the kind of thing that concerns me.    It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to submit a sample.   In addition, it's the reason I don't wanna be on a tree and I don't want any "relatives" contacting me.    Who else is lookin' at this stuff?

Open it and tell us already! :panic:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #72: April 26, 2018, 11:05:47 PM »

That’s how a friend  of mine just found a 25-year-old son he didn’t know he had.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #73: April 26, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »

That’s how a friend  of mine just found a 25-year-old son he didn’t know he had.

A guy I knew was in Vietnam 50 or so years ago.    He's now deceased and his cousin got a hit with a woman in SE Asia.    Turns out it's his daughter.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #74: April 27, 2018, 12:33:22 AM »
Looks like they caught the Golden State Killer because of DNA from one of these websites:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/26/break-golden-state-killer-case-came-dna-genealogy-website/556297002/

They took the killer's DNA, sent it to ancestry, and got back a list of people related to the killer. That allowed them to narrow their search to one family.