Author Topic: Genealogy/DNA Tests  (Read 1545 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Genealogy/DNA Tests
« Reply #25: March 07, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »
If you have a kindle, I'll lend it to... oh who the hell am I kidding.  :hysterical:

Nobody likes a smart ass.   :)        The missus does have one though.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #26: March 07, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
Do the math, a generation is about 25 years, so about 400 generations to get to 1600, that’s 2 followed 120 zeros ancestors in that generation - obviously there is a bit of overlap (that’s also why that show showing celebrities they were descended from royalty was hilariously stupid)

But of course.    BTW  I'm related to Charlemagne.   :)     I'm also a distant cousin of Halle Berry.    Good looks obviously run in the family.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: March 07, 2018, 05:30:21 PM »
Do the math, a generation is about 25 years, so about 400 generations to get to 1600, that’s 2 followed 120 zeros ancestors in that generation - obviously there is a bit of overlap (that’s also why that show showing celebrities they were descended from royalty was hilariously stupid)

400 years (say 1600 to 2000) would only be 16 generations - 4 per hundred years.  Or am I not understanding your hypothesis?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #28: March 07, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »
400 years (say 1600 to 2000) would only be 16 generations - 4 per hundred years.  Or am I not understanding your hypothesis?

It appears HS went to Pittsburgh schools.    Where the hell is Mathguy when we need him?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #29: March 07, 2018, 05:33:28 PM »
It appears HS went to Pittsburgh schools.    Where the hell is Mathguy when we need him?

Drinking.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #30: March 07, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
Drinking.

:spit:    ....  or shoveling sand off route 12.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: March 07, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »

I credit my South Carolina education

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: March 07, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »

Must be public schools.  My wife went to a prominent SC private school with illustrious grads (Stephen Colbert, Sally Krawcheck for two) and her math is fine.  (majored in Mathematical Science in college before getting her MS in Operations Research). 

I think southern states have a secret policy of not investing in public schools, knowing the children of affluent parents can afford to self segregate in private schools.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: March 07, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Must be public schools.  My wife went to a prominent SC private school with illustrious grads (Stephen Colbert, Sally Krawcheck for two) and her math is fine.  (majored in Mathematical Science in college before getting her MS in Operations Research). 

I think southern states have a secret policy of not investing in public schools, knowing the children of affluent parents can afford to self segregate in private schools.
Secret policy? I thought that was public knowledge.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: March 07, 2018, 07:32:35 PM »
G

Private, math was actually at Charleston southern for most of my most of my time there (that’s what happens when you leave a moco public  school for a South Carolina private school). As far as I remember porter gaud was open admission if you could pay- I know at least one guy who went there before he could get kicked out elsewhere.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: March 07, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »
Private, math was actually at Charleston southern for most of my most of my time there (that’s what happens when you leave a moco public  school for a South Carolina private school). As far as I remember porter gaud was open admission if you could pay- I know at least one guy who went there before he could get kicked out elsewhere.

PG had a relatively diverse crowd, at least by Charleston standards.  While there was a Catholic HS, there was no Jewish one so some went to PG.  They also had scholarships available for some (but not too many) low income kids.  It had once been all boy, went coed prior to my wife's admission.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #36: March 07, 2018, 07:41:05 PM »

Where in SC?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: March 07, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
Where in SC?

Lovely Summerville for the last three years of high school

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #38: March 07, 2018, 08:02:39 PM »
Lovely Summerville for the last three years of high school

I graduated from Aiken High School. But lived in charleston for 8 years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: March 07, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Doesn't everybody?     :shrug:    What makes us think Warsaw is any different than West Virginia?
The weird one is the connection to Safed.  I mean, it's not that big of a town, and Mom's family is Poland / Bucovina, while Dad is Belorussia and I think Lithuanian.  So, they went completely separate ways, unlike hanging out in the same area.  Yet Mr. CrystalCity and Mrs. CrystalCity (of the Weitzman connection) somehow ended up crossing paths in a country that did not exist the last time their kin may have been in the same small city.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #40: March 07, 2018, 08:52:20 PM »
The weird one is the connection to Safed.  I mean, it's not that big of a town, and Mom's family is Poland / Bucovina, while Dad is Belorussia and I think Lithuanian.  So, they went completely separate ways, unlike hanging out in the same area.  Yet Mr. CrystalCity and Mrs. CrystalCity (of the Weitzman connection) somehow ended up crossing paths in a country that did not exist the last time their kin may have been in the same small city.   

I find the stories amazing and though I understand Count Walewski's earlier point about his parents being immigrants, I'd like to know what my ancestors did before they got here ...  good and bad; happy and sad.   I always liked history and was a history major (before being drafted ;)).    Even though the family/blood aspect of it is important, there's an historical story that draws me as well.    Have you been to Safed?     

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #41: March 08, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »
I find the stories amazing and though I understand Count Walewski's earlier point about his parents being immigrants, I'd like to know what my ancestors did before they got here ...  good and bad; happy and sad.   I always liked history and was a history major (before being drafted ;)).    Even though the family/blood aspect of it is important, there's an historical story that draws me as well.    Have you been to Safed?     
yes.  Cool city.  There's a little Ethiopian community there, too.  My folks had visited an Ethiopian Jewish community back in the 60s and brought out some clay work as souvenirs;  I bought a similar product when I visited in 1992.  I don't recall doing the maze there, but supposedly if you have Kabbalah blood, you can go through there better than the tour guides.  It's about 3000'+ above the surrounding area, but the surrounding area is below see level.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: March 08, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
yes.  Cool city.  There's a little Ethiopian community there, too.  My folks had visited an Ethiopian Jewish community back in the 60s and brought out some clay work as souvenirs;  I bought a similar product when I visited in 1992.  I don't recall doing the maze there, but supposedly if you have Kabbalah blood, you can go through there better than the tour guides.  It's about 3000'+ above the surrounding area, but the surrounding area is below see level.

Ethiopia is a crossroads for the various religions originating in the Middle East.    Read a book about a search for the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia.     There are folks who think the Holy Grail is there as well.     That is a pretty cool story.    That's the kind of the adventure that is part of my search as well.    I visited Northern Wales in '85 and it was "familiar" to me.   At that time, I had no knowledge of a direct family link to North Wales.    What I did have was lore.   Since that time, I've verified the connection from the mid-1600s.      I wanna go back to Wales and I want to hit Scotland and hang out with some homies there as well.    :)

There's a large Amish community in Southern MD that has links to my GGrandmother's family but they may not be ready for a visit from their Pennsylvania cousin.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #43: March 09, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
I've been reading a book called The Journey of Man. If anyone is interested in DNA and what it says about the migration of mankind across the earth, read it. It's fascinating.

(And yes, marriage pairs among first cousins is extremely common historically).

Is The Journey of Man written by Spencer Wells?    I'm lookin' on Amazon for a hard copy.    :P    Found this while lookin':

Offline mitlen

« Reply #44: March 19, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
Ordered the Ancestry.com kit today.     All this mining with Facebook doesn't calm my nerves about privacy however.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #45: March 19, 2018, 05:32:22 PM »
Ordered the Ancestry.com kit today.     All this mining with Facebook doesn't calm my nerves about privacy however.

This reminded me of my father's lawyer years ago.

The guy was 85 and was talking to my dad about needing a new roof.  Said he was gonna get a barrel tile roof because fiberglass shingles wouldn't last more than 30 years...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: March 19, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »
This reminded me of my father's lawyer years ago.

The guy was 85 and was talking to my dad about needing a new roof.  Said he was gonna get a barrel tile roof because fiberglass shingles wouldn't last more than 30 years...

Neighbors and I were talking about roof replacement.   They said we could get 15 year guarantees.    I asked 'em who gets the left over years.     They thought I was kiddin'.

On a more serious note, I don't trust anyone with personal information and this makes me nervous.     

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #47: March 19, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
Neighbors and I were talking about roof replacement.   They said we could get 15 year guarantees.    I asked 'em who gets the left over years.     They thought I was kiddin'.

Maybe they could sell them on the futures market...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #48: March 19, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »
Maybe they could sell them on the futures market...

I suggested Spanish tile so we could piss off the HOA.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #49: April 03, 2018, 02:08:33 PM »
Sent my sample off to Ancestry.com.      Any suggestions on privacy settings?     Not that I have any illusions about privacy.