Author Topic: The “Curly W Commitment” — Nats new policies for a better fan experience  (Read 4654 times)

Offline dcpatti

If it doesn’t affect sales then does it really matter when they announce it?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
If a no smoking policy doesn't affect sales then announce it the week before the single game ticket date instead of the week after.

I don't personally care about either, but this does seem to follow a pattern...remember the netting announcement?

Online Natsinpwc

I don't personally care about either, but this does seem to follow a pattern...remember the netting announcement?
Speaking of netting. All MLB teams have extended netting this year.

https://amp.usatoday.com/1086019001

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I saw that too.  It sounds like a big problem waiting to erupt, for the die hard smokers aren't going to give up their habit.  It will be like high school with smokers sneaking in their joints wherever possible.

They smoke on the ramps and far corners of the stadium now.    Policy only means the ramps will be more crowded.    IMHO Vaping is as gross as tobacco.     :couch:       Maybe we can use the ramps for methadone as well.      Get off my grass  ....   :old:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
If the smoking policy impacts your decision to go to a baseball game, then I sure hope you don’t ever want to see Asia or Australia; if 3 hours for a baseball game is too long for you to refrain from smoking, then a 16-hour flight will be out of the question.

I've taken quite a few international longhaul flights (longest thus far: 12hr each way between Dulles and Doha on Qatar Airways) and have yet to see anyone throw a nicotine fit on a flight.

Offline afscotch

Speaking of netting. All MLB teams have extended netting this year.

https://amp.usatoday.com/1086019001

Does this mean the Nats will be extending their netting?  Technically it already goes to the far end if the dugout... it just starts to taper down about the half way point.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
If a no smoking policy doesn't affect sales then announce it the week before the single game ticket date instead of the week after.

Suck it up, princess.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Suck it up, princess.

Sorry, didn't realize that you liked being crapped on.

Offline HalfSmokes

Sorry, didn't realize that you liked being crapped on.

smoke free is the opposite of that for most attendees

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
smoke free is the opposite of that for most attendees

Didn't mean the no smoking policy in particular, it's the Revenue Chief's habit of waiting until after ticket sales have slowed before announcing ballpark changes that I find to be shady.

Offline dcpatti

Didn't mean the no smoking policy in particular, it's the Revenue Chief's habit of waiting until after ticket sales have slowed before announcing ballpark changes that I find to be shady.

Announce it two weeks earlier and some will complain that it's after the ASG invoices went out and not before.
A couple weeks earlier than that and it's before they can shake you down for more money in the Select a Seat process.
Or even earlier? Well they shoulda told you before you decided to renew your season tickets, not after.
There's precious few weeks where they're not right before or right after some major sales-related milestone.

FWIW the change in the ushers' policy (from not allowing fans to walk down the aisle during game play, to allowing it) was announced in late August. This is a policy that directly affects the enjoyment of the game, and negatively affects a lot more people than the smoking situation.   

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Announce it two weeks earlier and some will complain that it's after the ASG invoices went out and not before.
A couple weeks earlier than that and it's before they can shake you down for more money in the Select a Seat process.
Or even earlier? Well they shoulda told you before you decided to renew your season tickets, not after.
There's precious few weeks where they're not right before or right after some major sales-related milestone.

FWIW the change in the ushers' policy (from not allowing fans to walk down the aisle during game play, to allowing it) was announced in late August. This is a policy that directly affects the enjoyment of the game, and negatively affects a lot more people than the smoking situation.   

The ASG is irrelevant, it's a one time thing. I agree that the announcement should have come before renewals were due, but that was months ago. Making announcements less than a week after single game sales is an FU to the fans, for a small about of profit for the team.

The seating policy is debatable. It worked great in sections with 20 rows or less. It was a disaster in sections with 50 rows.

Offline dcpatti

Even in the short sections, the seating policy change is a disaster, unless all the people moving down the aisles also have aisle seats and don't have to step across 10 people, blocking everyone behind them in the process.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Even in the short sections, the seating policy change is a disaster, unless all the people moving down the aisles also have aisle seats and don't have to step across 10 people, blocking everyone behind them in the process.

It's the big sections that were a problem with the old policy. If you hold up 10+ fans until the at bat ends they are still walking down during the next AB. It led to the exact problem that the policy was supposed to solve.

Offline aBaltoNat

I didn't know they change grd that. Good....don't restrict my movement during the game....a man on a mission for beer.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Yeah...honestly, my biggest gripe these days is rude people that can't understand someone wants to watch the game and not have to deal with standing up to let them pass, or see past them and the rest of their brood, as they make their way back to their seat in the bottom of the second with their cotton candy. 

Simple courtesy says wait for a stoppage in the action...

Offline dcpatti

And the change created a very real problem for everyone in every other section. Regardless, we’re not debating the value or detriment of that policy,  and it was offered to illustrate that policy changes are not always popular, and they’re made year round. Sometimes they coincide with a sales milestone and sometimes they don’t.

Offline aBaltoNat

I only purchase aisle seats...have to with a small kid.

I'll come and go as I please.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
And the change created a very real problem for everyone in every other section. Regardless, we’re not debating the value or detriment of that policy,  and it was offered to illustrate that policy changes are not always popular, and they’re made year round. Sometimes they coincide with a sales milestone and sometimes they don’t.

You just gave one example from a couple years back. For the past three years they have announced changes right after single game sales, a pattern.

Offline Ray D

I've taken quite a few international longhaul flights (longest thus far: 12hr each way between Dulles and Doha on Qatar Airways) and have yet to see anyone throw a nicotine fit on a flight.
That's because people with nicotine addictions don't book long flights.  You know, you can actually get from here to Australia on short hops of 3 hours or less. Takes about 12 hops and probably 6 days, but if you really need to get to Australia, and if that's what it takes ....

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Agreed. One of the benefits of having seats in the front row. I don't get bothered by all the folks going to their seats. That being said, I am old school. I wait until at least between batters before I go down myself.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
That's because people with nicotine addictions don't book long flights.  You know, you can actually get from here to Australia on short hops of 3 hours or less. Takes about 12 hops and probably 6 days, but if you really need to get to Australia, and if that's what it takes ....

Pretty sure they could just wear a nicotine patch if they wanted to, correct?

Offline dcpatti

Pretty sure they could just wear a nicotine patch if they wanted to, correct?

Or they could just deal with it, which is what I did when I was a heavy smoker and wanted to travel.

Nothing like paying a 75 cent per cigarette (not per pack  — each cigarette) duty on your way into Australia to make you want to quit smoking!

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

And here you are standing up to them.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]Nothing like paying a 75 cent per cigarette (not per pack  — each cigarette) duty on your way into Australia to make you want to quit smoking!

Until the EU smoking ban was enacted in 2007, some pubs in London used to have cigarette machines. In one particular pub (the Museum Tavern, opposite the British Museum) the last year they had their machine the 20-cigarette packs cost the equivalent of USD11 apiece.

Interestingly, that same pub is one of a few in London that still have tables outside for smokers (even in December)...some habits die hard.