Author Topic: NFL thread (2018)  (Read 36282 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: NFL thread (2018)
« Reply #25: March 02, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
I’m betting the kid is his and he doesn’t want to acknowledge it

Yea that's what I'm thinking, he'll set up a little trust fund for him but he will not be in line for ownership of the Pats with the other kids.  Pretty Krafty of him :lol:
but for real-do old dudes think women that age actually LIKE them, or do they know they just like their money and they don't care because they just want someone young and beautiful on their arm?  :shrug:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: March 02, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
Yea that's what I'm thinking, he'll set up a little trust fund for him but he will not be in line for ownership of the Pats with the other kids.  Pretty Krafty of him :lol:
but for real-do old dudes think women that age actually LIKE them, or do they know they just like their money and they don't care because they just want someone young and beautiful on their arm?  :shrug:

Men :smh:   Ain't we a trip?

Reminds me of the old joke.   Somebody tells a guy, "You can't buy friends."    His response was, "Give me $10M and let me find out."

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: March 02, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »

Probably a bit more that 18 years of child support. I’m sure going through life knowing good old dad was too ashamed to acknowledge them will toughen the kid up

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: March 02, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »

When this comes up I ask myself if I’d tolerate being in a relationship with a sixty something woman who was insanely rich. And the answer I usually come up with is yes, but the woman would have to be quite a bit better looking than the female equivalent of Bob Kraft.
That being said I’m far from the male equivalent of this woman, so I’ll never have to make this decision. 😉

Now if I can just do what I want and just have to check in once or twice a weeks and punch a time clock? All bets are off.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #29: March 02, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
Men :smh:   Ain't we a trip?

Reminds me of the old joke.   Somebody tells a guy, "You can't buy friends."    His response was, "Give me $10M and let me find out."

LOL like when people say money can't buy happiness-I'm already happy, that money would just ADD to it haha!

When this comes up I ask myself if I’d tolerate being in a relationship with a sixty something woman who was insanely rich. And the answer I usually come up with is yes, but the woman would have to be quite a bit better looking than the female equivalent of Bob Kraft.
That being said I’m far from the male equivalent of this woman, so I’ll never have to make this decision. 😉

Now if I can just do what I want and just have to check in once or twice a weeks and punch a time clock? All bets are off.
yea I think I'd have an easier to be the person being bought but man I'd be embarrassed to have people think "there's no way he'd even look at her if she didn't have a hundred million dollars!"

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #30: March 03, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »

The Cleveland Browns had to leave the name "Cleveland Browns" in Cleveland when they left for Balmer.

Why is that policy not enforced for other teams?  It was not clear that Cleveland would get another teams when the move happened.

The Raiders took their name to LA and back to Oakland and now on to Las Vegas.  Doesn't seem right...it always belonged/belongs in Oakland.

The Rams moved from LA to St. Louis and back to LA, so that seems to have worked out OK on paper.

But the Arizona Cardinals? 

The A's (Athletics) have been in Oakland so long that most have forgotten the long history with that name.  What if they move again?  What if The Seahawks moved to Oklahoma City?

I can understand Cincinnati not wanting to keep the Bungels if they were to move, but would the NFL not enforce other "Legacy" team names to stay...even without expansion in the cards?

What if The Seahawks moved to Oklahoma City?

The NBA doesn't seem to care about names much...that's pretty evident with the Pelicans.  MLB got it right dropping Expos for Nationals, and the NHL got it right with Nordiques to Avalanche.

Anyway...my head hurts now...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: March 03, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »
The name is brown- who else would want it? Seems like an easy thing to give the city

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: March 03, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
The Cleveland Browns had to leave the name "Cleveland Browns" in Cleveland when they left for Balmer.

Why is that policy not enforced for other teams?  It was not clear that Cleveland would get another teams when the move happened.

The Raiders took their name to LA and back to Oakland and now on to Las Vegas.  Doesn't seem right...it always belonged/belongs in Oakland.

The Rams moved from LA to St. Louis and back to LA, so that seems to have worked out OK on paper.

But the Arizona Cardinals? 

The A's (Athletics) have been in Oakland so long that most have forgotten the long history with that name.  What if they move again?  What if The Seahawks moved to Oklahoma City?

I can understand Cincinnati not wanting to keep the Bungels if they were to move, but would the NFL not enforce other "Legacy" team names to stay...even without expansion in the cards?

What if The Seahawks moved to Oklahoma City?

The NBA doesn't seem to care about names much...that's pretty evident with the Pelicans.  MLB got it right dropping Expos for Nationals, and the NHL got it right with Nordiques to Avalanche.

Anyway...my head hurts now...

The reason the Browns kept their name is because it was part of a negotiated settlement to a lawsuit brought by the city of Cleveland and season ticket holders. I think that was unique to their situation.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #33: March 03, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
The reason the Browns kept their name is because it was part of a negotiated settlement to a lawsuit brought by the city of Cleveland and season ticket holders. I think that was unique to their situation.

Oakland should sue...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #34: March 03, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
I wonder if some city officials are glad they won’t get the pleasure of subsidizing a pro team

Offline mitlen

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #37: March 13, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
Cousins to the Vikings. Keenum to the Broncos.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #38: March 13, 2018, 01:32:42 PM »
Cousins to the Vikings. Keenum to the Broncos.

Terms for Cousins are 3 years, 84 million, fully guaranteed.

Alex Smith's cap hit this  year is 17 million. They trade Fuller to get him, so that's probably 6-8 million in savings over what it would take to replace his level of play.

The Redskins got worse at two positions to save 6-8 million in cap space. Awesome.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #39: March 13, 2018, 01:38:25 PM »

Alex Smith's cap hit this  year is 17 million. They trade Fuller to get him, so that's probably 6-8 million in savings over what it would take to replace his level of play.

The Redskins got worse at two positions to save 6-8 million in cap space. Awesome.

And all because of Bruce Allen's ego.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #40: March 13, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »

my math is mediocre so help me.  3/$84MM is $28MM/yr in cap space.  Smith is $17MM, so that's $11MM saved. Are you saying to replace fuller is going to cost something like $3-5 MM over what Fuller was making, so net it is only a $6-8MM saved after you replace Fuller?  Isn't it more likely they draft someone to start who will be on a rookie contract, or they sign a #2 cornerback / FA at less money than an elite CB?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: March 13, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
And all because of Bruce Allen's ego.

"The fish rots from the head."

Offline Slateman

« Reply #42: March 13, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »
my math is mediocre so help me.  3/$84MM is $28MM/yr in cap space.  Smith is $17MM, so that's $11MM saved. Are you saying to replace fuller is going to cost something like $3-5 MM over what Fuller was making, so net it is only a $6-8MM saved after you replace Fuller?  Isn't it more likely they draft someone to start who will be on a rookie contract, or they sign a #2 cornerback / FA at less money than an elite CB?
Essentially, yes. Fuller would get 5-8 million on the open market. That's not elite CB money. That's good CB money, of which Fuller would qualify. If you want someone with a comparable outlook, it's going to cost you some money. He's in the TJ Carrie/EJ Gaines realm.

If they draft someone, they essentially gave up that draft pick plus their third rounder, to get Alex Smith for three years. If they sign someone via free agency, it's the cost of that player minus about 600k.

Either way, the cap savings are far less than than 11 million. 3rd round picks you expect to be decent starters or quality role players. Guys who fill a role that would cost you 2-4 million a year on the free agency market. Now you're talking about burning a first rounder on a guy to replace the player we just traded away. That's awfully steep to get a guy who is 34 and is coming off a career year playing for a guy who is known to make QBs look far better than they are.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: March 13, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »

I don't think the move was about cap space though... I have talked to multiple friends or are vikings fans. Their reactions range from anger to resignation. No one is excited about this guy. I am not saying the FO handled this well at all, but maybe they just don't think Cousins is that good. And then Cousins had his ego hurt that they didn't like him.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #44: March 13, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
I don't think the move was about cap space though... I have talked to multiple friends or are vikings fans. Their reactions range from anger to resignation. No one is excited about this guy. I am not saying the FO handled this well at all, but maybe they just don't think Cousins is that good. And then Cousins had his ego hurt that they didn't like him.
This is clearly an ego thing. It has been from day one. Snyder and Allen have snubbed Kirk in favor of their Chosen One and Cousins in turn wanted to be shown the love.

I think it's obvious given the market, Cousins is worth this. It may be a bit of an overpay, but it's not an enormous one. It's certainly not a Haynsworth/Calvin Johnson/DeAngello Hall/Michael Vick level of bad either.

My point was that, frankly, Smitih's deal doesn't seem like a good bargain to me.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: March 13, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »

That would make sense if the redskins didn’t double down on an ok but not great quarterback. If you think you need better, suck up a few seasons losing with colt and get a decent replacement in the draft

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: March 13, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Packers sign Jimmy Graham and CUT Jordy Nelson... :o :shock:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: March 13, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
Packers sign Jimmy Graham and CUT Jordy Nelson... :o :shock:

Is cutting Nelson that surprising? Getting old

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #48: March 13, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »
Is cutting Nelson that surprising? Getting old

He's Aaron's binky, I'd say it's pretty surprising. This whole off season has seemed kind of nuts so far, don't remember this many players moving before. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #49: March 13, 2018, 07:02:37 PM »
Amendola leaving the Pats...

There goes Marcia's binky...