Author Topic: How to watch the opening game from Boston  (Read 472 times)

Offline Ray D

How to watch the opening game from Boston
« Topic Start: February 10, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
I'm being dragged to Boston the last week of March and I want to explore options for watching at least the opening game.  Anyone know of any Nats bars in Boston?  Unlikely I suppose.   Can I buy a single game to watch on my laptop?  Since I'll be away there won't be a home market issue, but is it possible that I would be blocked because of my ip address?    How does MLB TV determine your location? It seems like it would be pretty straightforward (allow them to access your location) but I see people talking about faking location which makes me suspect it might be by ip address.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: How to watch the opening game from Boston
« Reply #1: February 10, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
If you’re out of town you can get the MLB feed. I traveled extensively this year and was able to see the game on MLB.tv with the exception of the time I was in NYC and they were playing the Nats. I don’t even know how to spoof IP addresses.

As for finding a Nats bar in Boston, I say good luck with that. I would think you’d have better luck finding a Reds/Bengals bar.

http://www.bengals.com/fanzone/bengals-fan-connection/massachusetts.html

Offline Ray D

« Reply #2: February 10, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
If you’re out of town you can get the MLB feed. I traveled extensively this year and was able to see the game on MLB.tv with the exception of the time I was in NYC and they were playing the Nats. I don’t even know how to spoof IP addresses.

Thanks.
I wasn't thinking of spoofing an IP address, but that they might have my ip address associated with my home location.

Offline KV

• Believe!
« Reply #3: February 10, 2018, 06:40:48 PM »
The last 2 years T-mobile has given free access to mlb.com games, which I used to watch several Nats games when out of town. I’m hoping they do it again this year

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #4: February 10, 2018, 06:54:12 PM »
Thanks.
I wasn't thinking of spoofing an IP address, but that they might have my ip address associated with my home location.
It will pick up your location from where you are logged in to the internet, so you should be fine in that regard.  I don't think mlb.tv offers a single game option.  You may luck out and it will be the free game of the day.  mlbstreams on reddit are pretty solid these days if you want to go the less than legal route.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: February 11, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
If you are downtown / North  End / near boston Garden, you might find a sports bar that would set up a TV for you.  The Fours on Canal Street is supposed to be very good (SI rated it #1 in the country about 10 years ago) but I have not been in it.  You might call ahead and see if they'd do it for you.  Don't know if they would get you sound too.  I think there are some other  bars there.  If the Nats are playing the same time as Red Sox Opening Day, I'd stick away from around Fenway.