Author Topic: Olympics - Pyeongchang, not Pyongyang  (Read 8375 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Olympics - Pyeongchang, not Pyongyang
« Reply #175: February 19, 2018, 11:02:05 PM »
Bourque missed a wide open net. He should be called up to the Caps so he can do that in the playoffs.

Oh, I think they'll be able to handle  that pretty well with the current roster

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #176: February 19, 2018, 11:27:54 PM »
What do we think of this woman? On one hand I admire the determination of going to many events all over the world to get qualifying points.  And for skiing without regard to embarrassing herself just to fulfill her dream of competing in the olympics.
But on the other hand, this sort of makes a farce of the entire proceeding.

Her run was really... not great.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-freeskier-elizabeth-swaney-made-it-olympics-simple-halfpipe-run

Hahaha I cannot imagine wanting to be in the Olympics just to do that, even if it is allowed. How do you sit there watching all of the competitors fly into the air and test and turn and you go out and do, that?  :lmao:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #177: February 20, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »
Deadspin had the best headline

“The Winter Olympics Feature 2,951 Of The World’s Greatest Athletes, And Also This Woman”

https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678

Essentially, shes’s capable of sking, has relatives from a country that doesn’t give a freak and enough money to fly around to competitions that actual athletes skip so she can qualify by loosing in a smaller field. The IOC should just cut out the middle man and let people pay to be olympians, they could even keep the international team around when Russia gets their flag back

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #178: February 20, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
...somebody got caught doping at CURLING?? Holy moley...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #179: February 20, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »
...somebody got caught doping at CURLING?? Holy moley...

too much or not enough beer?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #180: February 20, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »
Deadspin had the best headline

“The Winter Olympics Feature 2,951 Of The World’s Greatest Athletes, And Also This Woman”

https://deadspin.com/the-winter-olympics-feature-2-951-of-the-world-s-greate-1823138678

Essentially, shes’s capable of sking, has relatives from a country that doesn’t give a freak and enough money to fly around to competitions that actual athletes skip so she can qualify by loosing in a smaller field. The IOC should just cut out the middle man and let people pay to be olympians, they could even keep the international team around when Russia gets their flag back

Did she get a 10?       :couch:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #181: February 20, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
No worse a travesty than the Cleveland Browns...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #182: February 20, 2018, 11:40:37 AM »
Did she get a 10?       :couch:

Only if she fell...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #183: February 20, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
Men's Ice Hockey (quarterfinal): Team USA, fresh off a win over Slovakia on Monday, will take on the Czech Republic in a do-or-die quarterfinal. The Czechs won Group A during the preliminary stage.

When: 10:10 p.m. -12:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)

TV: CNBC

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #184: February 20, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »
Men's Ice Hockey (quarterfinal): Team USA, fresh off a win over Slovakia on Monday, will take on the Czech Republic in a do-or-die quarterfinal. The Czechs won Group A during the preliminary stage.

When: 10:10 p.m. -12:30 a.m. ET (LIVE)

TV: CNBC
I do believe I need a nap this afternoon to prepare. I heard a guy on the radio here this morning say they beat Slovakia and now will play Czechoslavakia.  I guess they didn't get the memo in Ohio.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #186: February 20, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
I do believe I need a nap this afternoon to prepare. I heard a guy on the radio here this morning say they beat Slovakia and now will play Czechoslavakia.  I guess they didn't get the memo in Ohio.

I'll catch the Caps at 7 and the US at 10.    All hockey all the time.     I think NCIS is a repeat so there shouldn't be any disruption.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #187: February 20, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
I swear Albert just said the Caps were playin'.      :shock:     Said something along the lines of, "Here comes xxxxxx with the puck for the Caps."

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #188: February 20, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
That Donato kid is on fire.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #189: February 20, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
I swear Albert just said the Caps were playin'.      :shock:     Said something along the lines of, "Here comes xxxxxx with the puck for the Caps."
I try not to listen. Especially when Pierre speaks.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #190: February 20, 2018, 10:24:01 PM »
I try not to listen. Especially when Pierre speaks.

It certainly got my attention.    Albert then immediately went to a "US" reference.    Made me think he caught himself and was trying to change the flow.    Little did he know that mitlen is here.    :)     Of course, I don't hear real well so he may not have said anything of the kind.

EDIT:    Maybe he was talkin' about Erat.     Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste that's VaRK boy.     ;)

Online Slateman

« Reply #191: February 20, 2018, 10:48:23 PM »
If you can dodge a North Korean, you can dodge a ball

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #192: February 20, 2018, 11:43:12 PM »
The Russian girls are getting ready to skate! :panic: :woop:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #193: February 21, 2018, 12:27:42 AM »
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste US hockey is as averse to shooting the puck as the Caps.     :smh:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #194: February 21, 2018, 12:38:25 AM »
Oh man !

Online Slateman

« Reply #195: February 21, 2018, 12:47:29 AM »
Huh, I thought the NHL said their players could play in the Olympics.  Somehow the Caps managed to slip into the Team USA jerseys.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #196: February 21, 2018, 12:47:35 AM »
:shrug:    Oh well.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #197: February 21, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
:shrug:    Oh well.
those guys on Arcobello's line looked good.  I don't think any of the Americans now find work in the NHL besides the college kids.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #198: February 21, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
those guys on Arcobello's line looked good.  I don't think any of the Americans now find work in the NHL besides the college kids.
Hindsight is always twenty twenty but I wondered why they didn't have more college guys rather than retreads like Gionta and Wisnewski. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #199: February 21, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
Hindsight is always twenty twenty but I wondered why they didn't have more college guys rather than retreads like Gionta and Wisnewski. 
Could have done a pre-professional reprise. It's too bad that even guys like Alex Lyon who are on the fringes and looking for call ups were not in the pool.  It is rationale for Lyon to make a commitment to the Flyers over the Olympic team, but his presence / absence wasn't going to kill his NHL squad.  Seriously, they can always find a backup goalie for a game or two, but guys like Lyon, Cam Johnson, and Richter / Hobey Baker Award winners should have been in the pool. Not to criticize the goalie from the KHL, who did a fine job, but I'm not sure he'd be an NHLer if he decided to come home, and the forwards besides Donato were weak.