Author Topic: Mets are buying the Chiefs  (Read 6175 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Mets are buying the Chiefs
« Reply #150: February 03, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
Wouldn't boston have to give a waiver if another team wants to move to pawtucket? I think it's inside of Boston's home territory
maybe?  I forget how many miles Pawtucket is to Fenway.  it may be < 50. 

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #152: February 04, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
Is there any movement in Richmond towards a stadium suitable for AAA again?  I know they are AA now, but somehow I can't imagine the Giants  could be convinced to swap affiliations if the new city had a decent airport and connections. 

One thing maybe to watch is whether the Red Sox move their AAA franchise from Pawtucket either to Worcester or Providence.  That would free up McCoy for an AA team, especially if the PawSox move to Worcester.

This is the most recent article I could find on the Richmond ballpark situation:

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/general-assembly/virginia-abc-looks-for-room-to-grow-as-it-nears/article_f9d26665-f117-5a5a-a862-e1f624d5890b.html

It only briefly touches on the ballpark.  I guess the parties looking to build the park (Flying Squirrels, VCU) are waiting on a decision about the state-owned warehouse that currently sits on the land targeted for a new stadium.  If the state decides to relocate the warehouse, then I'd guess the plans for a new park would start to move along quickly.

This is an older article, but the plans are for a stadium "substantially similar in size, quality, programming, and amenities" to the ballparks in Charlotte, NC and Allentown, PA, both of which are AAA ballparks.  So if it gets built, it sounds like it would accommodate a AAA team.

http://wtvr.com/2016/10/17/flying-squirrels-vcu-agree-to-new-deal-that-moves-city-closer-to-new-ballpark/

Offline LincolnDD

« Reply #153: February 04, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
Wouldn't boston have to give a waiver if another team wants to move to pawtucket? I think it's inside of Boston's home territory

What's the distance limit?

The Blue Jays AA team is in Manchester, NH.  It's about 50 miles from Boston, give or take.

I wonder if teams don't care too much unless it's a rival.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #154: February 04, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »
What's the distance limit?

The Blue Jays AA team is in Manchester, NH.  It's about 50 miles from Boston, give or take.

I wonder if teams don't care too much unless it's a rival.
Around Baltimore it's like 500 miles.