Poll

What middle infield signing would be a bigger difference maker?

Nats sign Reid Brignac and give him a non-roster invite to spring training
2 (20%)
NYY sign Danny Espinosa and give him a non-roster invite to spring training
2 (20%)
Angels sign Brandon Wood and give him a non-roster invite to spring training
0 (0%)
Mashing Manny Burriss returns to his rightful place!
2 (20%)
Who are these guys?
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Nats sign Reid Brignac . . . seriously  (Read 1032 times)

Offline hotshot

Nats sign Reid Brignac . . . seriously
« Topic Start: January 29, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
Reid Brignac to Nats with invite to ST? Guy could NEVER hit.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #1: January 29, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »

May be useful as a utility infielder until Murphy gets back

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #2: January 30, 2018, 02:31:21 AM »
A Dave Martinez guy, he probably makes the team like Heisey did.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: January 30, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »
we should do a poll - Which is a better signing - Danny Espinosa or Reid Brignac?  Hard to believe, but I think Brignac was once a top 10 prospect.  Ranks up with Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: January 30, 2018, 09:46:28 AM »
we should do a poll - Which is a better signing - Danny Espinosa or Reid Brignac?  Hard to believe, but I think Brignac was once a top 10 prospect.  Ranks up with Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood.

How 'bout a poll  ...  "Which one have you ever heard of?"

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #5: January 30, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
A Dave Martinez guy, he probably makes the team like Heisey did.

I'd think/hope he's this year's AAA middle infield organizational depth. He hasn't appeared in more than 50 games in the majors any season since 2011 and didn't play in the majors at all last season.  Heisey, for all his incredible Heisey-ness, was well above that level when Dusty brought him here in his extra suitcase. 

Brignac also has the fundamental moral failing of repeatedly trying to grow facial hair despite being terrible at it, but that's just another strike against him on top of the fact that he can't hit (from both sides of the plate!), sucks at about 4 different positions, and adds no value as a pinch runner.  He's like if Brian Bixler grew 9 inches and forgot to eat or shave for six months.  If I ever went to a baseball stadium and saw his name in the lineup, I'd be angry at paying to see that - sorta like how it got to the point where I walked out of the park every time Jason Bergmann came into a game.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #6: January 31, 2018, 02:27:41 AM »
I'd think/hope he's this year's AAA middle infield organizational depth. He hasn't appeared in more than 50 games in the majors any season since 2011 and didn't play in the majors at all last season.  Heisey, for all his incredible Heisey-ness, was well above that level when Dusty brought him here in his extra suitcase. 

Brignac also has the fundamental moral failing of repeatedly trying to grow facial hair despite being terrible at it, but that's just another strike against him on top of the fact that he can't hit (from both sides of the plate!), sucks at about 4 different positions, and adds no value as a pinch runner.  He's like if Brian Bixler grew 9 inches and forgot to eat or shave for six months.  If I ever went to a baseball stadium and saw his name in the lineup, I'd be angry at paying to see that - sorta like how it got to the point where I walked out of the park every time Jason Bergmann came into a game.

Every Manager has 1 of his guys on the roster. he is probably gonna make the team with Murphy starting on DL

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: January 31, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
:clap:

Offline blue911

« Reply #8: January 31, 2018, 08:22:44 AM »

I other words he's the replacement for Manny Burriss.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Nats sign Reid Brignac . . . seriously
« Reply #9: January 31, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
I other words he's the replacement for Manny Burriss.
Except Burriss was a local dude! he should never be replaced!  I'm changing the poll.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: January 31, 2018, 08:31:01 AM »

First, PoTY candidate, which already means the  NRI has paid off.

Second, I was flipping through some old posts about Brignac when he was coming up.  Funny thing was, his bat was supposed to be his strength, and the scouts thought he could stay in  the middle infield.  He was 1-2 with Longoria on the Rays prospect lists for a season or two.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #11: January 31, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »
We have Sanchez and don't need any of those guys.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: January 31, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
We have Sanchez and don't need any of those guys.
Brandon Wood was Danny Espinosa with more power, fewer HBPs, less glove, and no bazooka.  Came up through the Angels system right around the same time Howie Kendrick did.  I think he pushed Delmon Young for #1 prospect in baseball. 

OK, so here's the 2007 BA top 100:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2007/263445.html
Top 3 of Dice-K, Alex Gordon, and Delmon Young.

Longoria #7, Wood #8, Brignac #17.

Also, Cameron Maybin #6, Justin Upton #9, McCutcheon #13, Tulo #15.  Pitchers - Phil Hughes #4, Andrew Miller #11, Kershaw #24.

By 2008, Longoria was #2 to Jay Bruce.  2008 looks much better in hindsight, with Kershaw #7 but behind Joba and Clay Buchholz at #3 and #4. 

At this point, Optics will pipe in about how Brignac, Delmon Young, and Wood prove prospects are not to be overvalued and we should trade Robles . . .

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #13: January 31, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
First, PoTY candidate, which already means the  NRI has paid off.

Second, I was flipping through some old posts about Brignac when he was coming up.  Funny thing was, his bat was supposed to be his strength, and the scouts thought he could stay in  the middle infield.  He was 1-2 with Longoria on the Rays prospect lists for a season or two.

If you look at his numbers in the low minors, he did hit - .939 OPS in the Carolina League with an .828 in 120ish PAs in AA as a 20-year-old (and 24 HRs between the two!) is damn nice.  It's broadly similar to what Robles put up last year at 20 at the same two levels.  But Robles didn't have a .390 BABIP in AA, nor did he start striking out like he had joined the Danny Espinosa School of Wind Power Production. 

In other words, it looks like a classic profile of a guy who can't deal with the big change you see in pitchers who make it to AA: they have both decent fastballs and decent offspeed pitches.  He initially sat on fastballs and kept killing them, like he presumably had in A-ball, but then once pitchers adjusted and started mixing stuff more (his second season in AA), he had to dial it back a bit, and the power dropped off, the BABIP dropped too (from swinging hard and punishing fastballs the first season being replaced by softer contact).   When he got to AAA, the Junkballer Supreme level, it just got even worse.  He never hit double-digit homers again until 2017...in AAA. 

That's sort of my worry with Robles as well.  When I've seen him, he sits on fastballs and punishes them, but often gets way off stride or just takes breaking balls for strikes.  That's not going to work at higher levels.  Some guys deal well with the change and some don't.   Obviously, I hope Robles is the former, but Brignac is a cautionary tale (and for more than just that abominable chinstrap beard he had in Tampa Bay).

Offline hotshot

« Reply #14: January 31, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »
I remember when Brignac came up to play SS with the Rays. A lot of excitement around Tampa Bay. Had a decent year in 2010, .256 with 8 HR and 45 RBI. The following two seasons, he hit .193 and .095 in limited action. That finished him there. In 2013 he hit a composite .173, in 2014 skied to .222, and in 2015, fell back to .152. Literally zero power after 2010.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: January 31, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
Can Danny Espinosa bring the bazooka to NYC?  With his beard, I'm guessing DHS and NYPD might object.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: January 31, 2018, 02:12:14 PM »
Ah, the classic minor league deal freak out.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #17: January 31, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
I would've rather given Danny a minor league deal than this dude.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #18: January 31, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »
I would've rather given Danny a minor league deal than this dude.

Yep. At least Danny has some pop.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #19: February 01, 2018, 12:57:04 AM »
Yep. At least Danny has some pop.

And SOME positive track record against MLB pitching.

Jesus Christ.