Poll

Trying to get a feel for who is interested in attending the ASG

Yes, will attend ASG. Once in a lifetime opportunity in DC
24 (53.3%)
No, will not attend. It's just an overpriced exhibition game.
21 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: February 28, 2018, 02:18:32 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Interest in attending the ASG.  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
POLL: Interest in attending the ASG.
« Topic Start: January 29, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
Vote above and feel free to discuss why or why not and interest in attending other ASG activities (home run derby, futures game, celebrity game, fan fest) and why or why not.

EDIT: I should add that it's assuming you are in the DC area.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: POLL: Interest in attending the ASG.
« Reply #1: January 29, 2018, 02:22:34 PM »
If I were in the area, I'd try and go, no question.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 29, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
I’d rather spend the money on regular season games. If I’m not going to watch it on tv, I’m definitely not going in person

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3: January 29, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
I’d rather spend the money on regular season games. If I’m not going to watch it on tv, I’m definitely not going in person

I don't necessarily watch it on TV but the appeal of seeing all the big names in person in one place is there for me.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #4: January 29, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
I'm going to every event.  I am probably most excited about the Futures game, though.  I'm kinda meh on the celeb game but my husband thinks that it's just silly fun, so why not?  We almost went to the ASG in Miami last year but decided we should have our first ASG experience here in our home ballpark.    I want to watch a million dingers in the Home Run Derby and it'll be fun to watch the All Stars in general with (as BIL says) all the big names in person in one place.  But I'm also interested in seeing what the buzz and hype are all about. 

If it's fun, we might try to score some cheap last-minute tickets in Cleveland next year and if it sucks, at least I can cross it off the bucket list. But I think it will be fun.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: January 29, 2018, 02:54:57 PM »
I am definitely going to the ASG. I am almost certainly going to the Home Run Derby. I have considered selling my tickets, but then I realize that ever since I was a kid I have wanted to attend one of these in person. If I sold them, the kid version of me would be very disappointed. In any case, I consider it a once in a lifetime experience.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #6: January 29, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
At the time the first pitch is thrown in the ASG, I will be aboard a KLM jetliner about three hours out from Dulles, on my way to a week's holiday in Tallinn, Estonia. (Couldn't really go in the first place because it's in prime time and runs late - I have medical and transit issues to consider.)

In other words, no.

Offline Monarch

« Reply #7: January 29, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
I just think the price tag will keep me away, but I do think it'll be a cool thing to check out. I bet there will be a bunch of cool stuff happening just outside of the park to make it worth heading down there before the game starts which is what I may end up doing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: January 29, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »
Well, I split my tickets among a group, so I plan on picking up what I can get, dividing it among the group, and perhaps resell what I cannot use.  I'll say the interest is down within my group, including among the heavy hitters. 

I've sort of had it in my mind that I'd like to see the futures game more than any other activity other than the All Star Game itself.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #9: January 29, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
I was about to vote "no" but now you have me second-guessing myself.  So what the hell, "possibly" trending towards "probably" 
I am definitely going to the ASG. I am almost certainly going to the Home Run Derby. I have considered selling my tickets, but then I realize that ever since I was a kid I have wanted to attend one of these in person. If I sold them, the kid version of me would be very disappointed. In any case, I consider it a once in a lifetime experience.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #10: January 29, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
Well, I split my tickets among a group, so I plan on picking up what I can get, dividing it among the group, and perhaps resell what I cannot use.  I'll say the interest is down within my group, including among the heavy hitters. 

I've sort of had it in my mind that I'd like to see the futures game more than any other activity other than the All Star Game itself.

It's kind of interesting that the futures game seems to be the event of most interest to die hards in my group. But not for me. The only thing worse than seeing a meaningless exhibition game is a meaningnless minors exhibition game.:-)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #11: January 29, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
Love to go, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't want to use that money in a different way.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #12: January 29, 2018, 03:51:24 PM »
Better poll is who will pay $800-1200 for a strip. Not me, there will be cheaper seats available on game day. In any case I'm more interested in the grand opening of Audi Field than the ASG.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: January 29, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
Do you really think that will happen this year?
In any case I'm more interested in the grand opening of Audi Field than the ASG.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #14: January 29, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Do you really think that will happen this year?

Sure, I think they'll make their target date, but worst case is a month or two later. The United’s owners have to be better at stadium building than team building.

Offline wj73

« Reply #15: January 29, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »
We went to the ASG in Baltimore back in 1993 and loved it and would not miss this one at “our” ballpark. We know we’ll probably have to pay a stiff price on the secondary market, but we’ve already budgeted for it.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #16: January 29, 2018, 06:51:09 PM »
Sure, I think they'll make their target date, but worst case is a month or two later. The United’s owners have to be better at stadium building than team building.

:lol:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #17: January 29, 2018, 09:21:38 PM »
The poll is dead even with 20 votes in. Frankly I'm a bit surprised that it's not more tilted towards attending the game but maybe there's some sticker shock going on.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #18: January 29, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
Are season ticket holders given some sort of preference or a deal for this game ?

The poll is dead even with 20 votes in. Frankly I'm a bit surprised that it's not more tilted towards attending the game but maybe there's some sticker shock going on.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: January 29, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »

I’m not going to a game to see a star hitter, I’ll sometimes base my decision on pitching matchups, but I’m not shelling out that kind of money to see a great starter thow an inning that neither they nor the batters really care about

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: January 29, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »
Are season ticket holders given some sort of preference or a deal for this game ?

I don’t think we get a deal, but we do get the opportunity to buy them at face value and not have to pay aftermarket prices. That probably will be a deal for the actual ASG and the home run derby. Maybe not so great for the other stuff.
This applies to full and half season plans only.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #21: January 29, 2018, 11:03:21 PM »
I've never been to the All Star Game or to the NLCS. I've been to everything else (ALDS, NLDS, ALCS, World Series, regular season game). I hope to attend the All Star Game and the NLCS in 2018.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #22: January 30, 2018, 12:08:51 AM »
I didn't vote since I'm not going but if I lived there I'd totally go to everything I could, for sure the home run derby and would love to do the All Star Game as well. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #23: January 30, 2018, 07:23:36 AM »

Wasn't it basically an all-or-nothing transaction - buy the whole works (post-season, ASG and associated events, etc)?

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #24: January 30, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »
Wasn't it basically an all-or-nothing transaction - buy the whole works (post-season, ASG and associated events, etc)?

If you are SPH that's the deal at first. I suppose some single tickets may be sold to SPH and the general public at some point but if that happens I suspect the good seats will all be gone by then.