Poll

Trying to get a feel for who is interested in attending the ASG

Yes, will attend ASG. Once in a lifetime opportunity in DC
24 (53.3%)
No, will not attend. It's just an overpriced exhibition game.
21 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: February 28, 2018, 02:18:32 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Interest in attending the ASG.  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: POLL: Interest in attending the ASG.
« Reply #25: January 30, 2018, 09:09:17 AM »
They don't care about winning the game. I don't say that as a criticism but as a fact.  However in the "old" days (pre 80s) they did care. Why?    They took pride in their league.  Now days, with interleague, looser trade restrictions free agency  -  a player in one league could be in the other league next week or next season. So, no such thing as league pride.
They also cared very much about playing the game.  Not just being selected.  Now, they want to be selected (looks good on the stat sheet) but once selected, many want to find some excuse, like an injury, not to attend - they'd rather have the four days off.  If they do attend, even though they don't care a bit about winning but they do care about their personal stats (looks good on the stat sheet).
iI don't blame them. But if they don't care, I don't care.  And the selection process is a joke; it's so stupid that that alone makes the game a farce for me.  They did get rid of the World Series home field rule, but it was in place for many years, making the game even more ridiculous - I don't think they have recovered yet from that.

So there you have a few reasons why I don't care about the game.

Players don't care about winning the game, that's right. They do care about their performance because they don't want to be embarassed. Call it athletic pride or arrogance but they are not going to go out there and look like idiots. Some even crank it up a bit and try to put on a show. It's not unusual to see a pitcher really air it out at the ASG because they are pitching just to few batters.