Author Topic: Opening Day in Cincinnati  (Read 5337 times)

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
Opening Day in Cincinnati
« Topic Start: January 29, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
Got my airfare and hotel reservations, now all I need are 2 tickets to the game . . . 

Cheapest seats on StubHub are $180/ea, plus another $80 (!!!) in fees.  Am I gonna pay out the nose for this trip, or should I wait a bit before buying tickets?  The Reds aren't yet selling single-game tickets.   

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Opening Day in Cincinnati
« Reply #1: January 29, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »
Got my airfare and hotel reservations, now all I need are 2 tickets to the game . . . 

Cheapest seats on StubHub are $180/ea, plus another $80 (!!!) in fees.  Am I gonna pay out the nose for this trip, or should I wait a bit before buying tickets?  The Reds aren't yet selling single-game tickets.   

Wait, prices always go down after single game tickets are sold.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2: January 29, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
They take opening day very seriously in Cincy, but not $180 for the cheapest seat serious.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #3: January 29, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
I got my hotel reservations but I'm holding out on tickets. I saw some SROs for a little over $100 but that was a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm afraid to check so I think I'll wait for the Reds to open up ticket sales but I don't see a date for that yet.

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
« Reply #4: January 29, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Wait, prices always go down after single game tickets are sold.

That's my hope . . .

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #5: January 29, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
They take opening day very seriously in Cincy, but not $180 for the cheapest seat serious.

Have a parade from Findlay Market....a throwback day if ever was there

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: January 29, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »

Have a parade from Findlay Market....a throwback day if ever was there
The parade is not on opening day this year.

https://amp.cincinnati.com/798623001

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: January 29, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
Yunz are makin' me interested in a trip to Cincy.    Wonder if my cousin has a spare room?    The kids a gone.   Hmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: January 29, 2018, 10:08:56 PM »
Yunz are makin' me interested in a trip to Cincy.    Wonder if my cousin has a spare room?    The kids a gone.   Hmmmmmmmmmm
At the rate the weather is going it will be cold!  I keep checking the Reds web site to see if they have the lottery they have had the last couple years. If you win you can buy opening day but also have to buy another date.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #9: January 29, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
At the rate the weather is going it will be cold!  I keep checking the Reds web site to see if they have the lottery they have had the last couple years. If you win you can buy opening day but also have to buy another date.

Let us know if they post the lottery.    Cincy ain't that far.     I'd go back for a second go-round later in the year   ....   maybe against the Buccos.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: January 29, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »
Let us know if they post the lottery.    Cincy ain't that far.     I'd go back for a second go-round later in the year   ....   maybe against the Buccos.
Will do.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #11: January 30, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »

Until about the 1980's or 1990's they used to hold MLB's absolute regular-season opener in Cincinnati, in recognition of the city's role as the birthplace of the professional game in 1869.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #12: January 30, 2018, 10:16:20 AM »
The parade is not on opening day this year.

https://amp.cincinnati.com/798623001

"Baseball's quest for the almighty dollar ruins another baseball tradition. No other explanation for scheduling Opening Day to conflict with the Easter Holiday."

"This is stupid!"

"This a terrible decision, and one that isn't necessary with some creative, albeit challenging, workarounds. You shouldn't be allowed to call it the Opening Day Parade because it isn't; I can't believe this longstanding tradition is being ruined."

"Dislike"

Those comments from the article I would agree. Why bother even having it. I understand the predicament of the Findlay merchants but I wonder if they have considered the PR black eye it is for them and how it may affect future sales. But why bother????? A great tradition seems to have been kicked to the curb like the Presidential Opener

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: January 30, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »

"Baseball's quest for the almighty dollar ruins another baseball tradition. No other explanation for scheduling Opening Day to conflict with the Easter Holiday."

"This is stupid!"

"This a terrible decision, and one that isn't necessary with some creative, albeit challenging, workarounds. You shouldn't be allowed to call it the Opening Day Parade because it isn't; I can't believe this longstanding tradition is being ruined."

"Dislike"

Those comments from the article I would agree. Why bother even having it. I understand the predicament of the Findlay merchants but I wonder if they have considered the PR black eye it is for them and how it may affect future sales. But why bother????? A great tradition seems to have been kicked to the curb like the Presidential Opener
I wondered why they just didn't choose a different route?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: January 30, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »

"This is stupid!"

"Dislike"

Didn’t they schedule it that way because they had to to give more off days per the CBA. Plus opening day was stupid in the past. They should play 15 games with all teams participating, like they are doing this year.
I don’t see how this is MLBs fault

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: January 30, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
https://www.mlb.com/reds/forms/cin-2018-od-opportunity

Thanks

Doesn't look like they'll process it without a cell number.    I could give 'em the missus' number.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: January 30, 2018, 03:21:46 PM »
Thanks

Doesn't look like they'll process it without a cell number.    I could give 'em the missus' number.
Have no idea what the odds might be. Also don't know our schedule for that day. I assume the other game to purchase could be one of the games that weekend (March 31 and April 1).

Last year in the offseason Costxo sold ticket vouchers. Two for $50.  Seats were field level outside the bases. Good bargain. This year they didn't have. 😩

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #19: February 01, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
Didn’t they schedule it that way because they had to to give more off days per the CBA. Plus opening day was stupid in the past. They should play 15 games with all teams participating, like they are doing this year.
I don’t see how this is MLBs fault

A lot of people did not think it was so stupid. Perhaps they are in the minority now. Once upon a time Cincinnati being recognized as fielding the first professional team opened before any other team and Washington had a Presidential Opener, both very special events in each local

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: February 01, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
A lot of people did not think it was so stupid. Perhaps they are in the minority now. Once upon a time Cincinnati being recognized as fielding the first professional team opened before any other team and Washington had a Presidential Opener, both very special events in each local

Cincinnati doesn't always open the season anyway. There are Sunday night games the night before opening day, Games overseas, etc.
I'm fine with Cincinnati having the first pitch of the season. Put their game at 11 and don't let anyone else start until 1. Cincinnati is already recognized because they get to always open the season at home, which is great for their fans.
But otherwise, there is much more excitement for the beginning of the season if you have 15 day games on Opening day instead of this weird mix of games and off days and multiple opening days.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #21: February 01, 2018, 11:32:41 AM »
Cincinnati doesn't always open the season anyway. There are Sunday night games the night before opening day, Games overseas, etc.
I'm fine with Cincinnati having the first pitch of the season. Put their game at 11 and don't let anyone else start until 1. Cincinnati is already recognized because they get to always open the season at home, which is great for their fans.
But otherwise, there is much more excitement for the beginning of the season if you have 15 day games on Opening day instead of this weird mix of games and off days and multiple opening days.
They always had first pitch until about 20 years ago. That changed due to the almighty dollar. As with all other changes.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #22: February 01, 2018, 12:58:18 PM »
Not to mention that strange abomination they call "chili"
They always had first pitch until about 20 years ago. That changed due to the almighty dollar. As with all other changes.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #23: February 02, 2018, 06:54:31 AM »
Not to mention that strange abomination they call "chili"

The Cincy chili is fair game for reasonable debate but regardless it's something unique to Cincy...along with the best ice cream, pizza and  frosted cookies in the country....and beer. Not a good place to live or visit for the calorically challenged

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #24: February 02, 2018, 08:06:18 AM »

The Cincy chili is fair game for reasonable debate but regardless it's something unique to Cincy...along with the best ice cream, pizza and  frosted cookies in the country....and beer. Not a good place to live or visit for the calorically challenged
Which ice cream? Aglamecis or Graeters?