Author Topic: Opening Day in Cincinnati  (Read 5324 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Opening Day in Cincinnati
« Reply #75: March 27, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
No one has been or will be better than the late Glen Brenner.

I still watch some of the clips and laugh.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #76: March 27, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
I'm a little sad now.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #77: March 27, 2018, 09:48:35 PM »
No doubt.  I was looking at old YouTube clips of Brenner a while back and it was an awesome trip down memory lane.  Weenie of the Week.  He and Gordon Peterson were great together. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #78: March 27, 2018, 09:50:56 PM »
No doubt.  I was looking at old YouTube clips of Brenner a while back and it was an awesome trip down memory lane.  Weenie of the Week.  He and Gordon Peterson were great together. 

Sister Jean was a mere middle ager when Glenn had Sister Louise Marie on the air.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #79: March 27, 2018, 09:57:07 PM »
I wonder how many of us Brenner fans know that he made it all the way to AAA with the Phillies.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #80: March 27, 2018, 09:58:39 PM »
He's from my old hood in Philly.  Went to the same High School (lincoln) as Sly Stallone.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #81: March 27, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »
He's from my old hood in Philly.  Went to the same High School (lincoln) as Sly Stallone.

You sayin' he was an E. PA guy?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: March 27, 2018, 10:04:03 PM »
I wonder how many of us Brenner fans know that he made it all the way to AAA with the Phillies.
I don't believe he made it to Triple A.  Hard to tell from this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Brenner

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #83: March 27, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: March 27, 2018, 10:06:15 PM »
You sayin' he was an E. PA guy?
Something like that.  I went to Catholic High School or would have gone to Lincoln.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #85: March 27, 2018, 10:08:27 PM »
Something like that.  I went to Catholic High School or would have gone to Lincoln.

We all work with leeway.    :)

Offline Ray D

« Reply #86: March 27, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
I don't believe he made it to Triple A.

Oh well, urban legend. AAA is what I recall from some documentary about him.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: March 28, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Is there any chance this game occurs on Thursday?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #88: March 28, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
Is there any chance this game occurs on Thursday?

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USOH0188:1:US

Lots of rain forecasted. Frankly, I'd rather wait and play in less sloppy conditions.

Also, I really hate that they have an off day the day after opening day. I don't know why this aggravates me so much, but it always has.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89: March 28, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USOH0188:1:US

Lots of rain forecasted. Frankly, I'd rather wait and play in less sloppy conditions.

Also, I really hate that they have an off day the day after opening day. I don't know why this aggravates me so much, but it always has.

I don’t like it either, but it seems in this use case, it’s working as intended. Now all the folks who bought expensive opening day tickets can just use them Friday rather than getting into confusion with the people who bought tickets to Game 2 (which in Cincinnati I’m sure are cheap these days). 
The problem is I am scheduled to come back Friday morning and am wondering if I should just bag the whole trip.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #90: March 28, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
I don’t like it either, but it seems in this use case, it’s working as intended. Now all the folks who bought expensive opening day tickets can just use them Friday rather than getting into confusion with the people who bought tickets to Game 2 (which in Cincinnati I’m sure are cheap these days). 
The problem is I am scheduled to come back Friday morning and am wondering if I should just bag the whole trip.

There's a lot of good beer in Cincy and it's an easy flight; in your shoes, I'd probably still go, with the expectation that I might not be able to see any baseball and might end up trading my tickets away in a bar somewhere (because the stubhub market is going to be dirt cheap if they do push the game to Friday). 

Rhinegeist is a huge space and fun crowd but no AC, however, a rainy march day might be the perfect time to go there since AC doesn't matter then; MadTree is always a good choice, as is Taft's and Bad Tom Smith.

That said... if my hotel were not pre-paid, I'd see if I could get a cheaper price/better location, as the forecast has probably caused a lot of cancellations.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #91: March 28, 2018, 11:14:01 AM »

If there were a regular season game scheduled the day following opening day, and opening day gets rained out, then who gets to go to  that day-after game? Opening day ticket holders, or ticket holders for the day-after game?  If opening day gets rained out then that day-after game becomes in effect the opener and opening day ticket holders are going to be pissed if they don't get to go, but if they do, then game 2 ticket holders are going to be pissed.

That's why.  Of course if both games get rained out ... they don't have a solution for that but I don't think it's ever happened.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: March 28, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
There's a lot of good beer in Cincy and it's an easy flight; in your shoes, I'd probably still go, with the expectation that I might not be able to see any baseball and might end up trading my tickets away in a bar somewhere (because the stubhub market is going to be dirt cheap if they do push the game to Friday). 

Rhinegeist is a huge space and fun crowd but no AC, however, a rainy march day might be the perfect time to go there since AC doesn't matter then; MadTree is always a good choice, as is Taft's and Bad Tom Smith.

That said... if my hotel were not pre-paid, I'd see if I could get a cheaper price/better location, as the forecast has probably caused a lot of cancellations.

If I were alone, I’d do it. Since this a kind of a reach for my better half to agree to anyway, I worry if walking around in a deluge with no baseball is the best use of my relationship capital 😂

I cancelled the hotel. If I decide to go, you’re right, it’s wide open for occupancy.

EDIT: if I didn’t think they would cancel the game straight away without opening the gates, I’d buy an all inclusive ticket eat and drink during the rain delay and then re sell for Friday.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #93: March 28, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »
If there were a regular season game scheduled the day following opening day, and opening day gets rained out, then who gets to go to  that day-after game? Opening day ticket holders, or ticket holders for the day-after game?  If opening day gets rained out then that day-after game becomes in effect the opener and opening day ticket holders are going to be pissed if they don't get to go, but if they do, then game 2 ticket holders are going to be pissed.

That's why.  Of course if both games get rained out ... they don't have a solution for that but I don't think it's ever happened.
I completely understand why. Doesn't change that I hate it.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #94: March 28, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
Just announced: postponed till Friday 4:10.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95: March 28, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
Just announced: postponed till Friday 4:10.

Makes it easy.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #96: March 28, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
I completely understand why. Doesn't change that I hate it.
I hate it too.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #97: March 28, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »
Going to need five starters now.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #98: March 28, 2018, 02:31:29 PM »
Glad they made the decision early.

Offline aBaltoNat