Author Topic: Opening Day in Cincinnati  (Read 5334 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Opening Day in Cincinnati
« Reply #25: February 02, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »

The Cincy chili is fair game for reasonable debate but regardless it's something unique to Cincy...along with the best ice cream, pizza and  frosted cookies in the country....and beer. Not a good place to live or visit for the calorically challenged

For a short time some years ago McCormick made a Cincinnati-style chili seasoning. Basically what it is is the traditional chili seasoning (not too hot in this instance) plus sweet spice (cinnamon, clove and allspice), traditionally served over pasta and with a number of possible ingredients added making the finished dish a '2-way', '3-way'. 4-way etc. A bit of an acquired taste perhaps bur rather good for a change of pace.

The present-day honcho of the recipe is Gold Star Chili (http://www.goldstarchili.com/) - they even have concessions in the Cincinnati airport. Haven't tried it myself but hope to someday.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #26: February 02, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
Which ice cream? Aglamecis or Graeters?

I am partial to Aglamecis but either can be a suitable substitute for sex

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #27: February 02, 2018, 11:29:57 AM »
For a short time some years ago McCormick made a Cincinnati-style chili seasoning. Basically what it is is the traditional chili seasoning (not too hot in this instance) plus sweet spice (cinnamon, clove and allspice), traditionally served over pasta and with a number of possible ingredients added making the finished dish a '2-way', '3-way'. 4-way etc. A bit of an acquired taste perhaps bur rather good for a change of pace.

The present-day honcho of the recipe is Gold Star Chili (http://www.goldstarchili.com/) - they even have concessions in the Cincinnati airport. Haven't tried it myself but hope to someday.

Mt. Washington has the best if you like the Cincy chili........ imho

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: February 02, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »

I am partial to Aglamecis but either can be a suitable substitute for sex
True.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #29: February 02, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
True.

Y'all must not be doin' it right...

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #30: February 05, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »

varoadking, You must never experienced Cincinnati ice cream. Give the choice against say, Bo Derek--I'm over 60---------it would be the Cincy dairy delight........but I would take Bo over the chili.....maybe.....depends on how much I had to drink

Offline Ray D

« Reply #31: February 05, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »

I would take Bo over the chili

Interesting visual.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: February 05, 2018, 12:08:13 PM »
I'm right with my ice cream. They have Graters at the park. Raspberry chocolate chip is the flavor of choice.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: February 05, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »

varoadking, You must never experienced Cincinnati ice cream. Give the choice against say, Bo Derek--I'm over 60---------it would be the Cincy dairy delight........but I would take Bo over the chili.....maybe.....depends on how much I had to drink
I don't really like the chili. Every 6 months or so we get some of the Coneys at Skyline or GoldStar. I wonder if there is any meat at all in the hot dogs. The whole idea of the chili that just looks like spaghetti with sauce just seems bizarre to me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: February 05, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »

Available locally at any Hard Times Cafe of course.

Like the original one in Old Town:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #35: February 05, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
For a short time some years ago McCormick made a Cincinnati-style chili seasoning. Basically what it is is the traditional chili seasoning (not too hot in this instance) plus sweet spice (cinnamon, clove and allspice), traditionally served over pasta and with a number of possible ingredients added making the finished dish a '2-way', '3-way'. 4-way etc.

I spent two weeks on business in Cincinnati many years ago (1978 to be exact)  and I had either the 4-way or 5-way. Loved it!

Incidentally the weekend in the middle of those two weeks the Phillies were in for a four game series.  I went to all five games.  It was during Rose's 44 game hitting streak and those four games were numbers 40, 41, 42, and 43.  (He hit in one additional away game and then it ended.)  Unbelievable experience for me.  One of those games, Carlton and Seavers faced of for a 1-0 game (both pitched complete games).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: February 05, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
Let's not forget about Montgomery Inn....

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #37: February 05, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »
  One of those games, Carlton and Seavers faced of for a 1-0 game (both pitched complete games).

So who pitched the complete game shutout? :poke:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #38: February 05, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
Man, talk about turning lemons into lemonade!
I spent two weeks on business in Cincinnati many years ago (1978 to be exact)  and I had either the 4-way or 5-way. Loved it!

Incidentally the weekend in the middle of those two weeks the Phillies were in for a four game series.  I went to all five games.  It was during Rose's 44 game hitting streak and those four games were numbers 40, 41, 42, and 43.  (He hit in one additional away game and then it ended.)  Unbelievable experience for me.  One of those games, Carlton and Seavers faced of for a 1-0 game (both pitched complete games).

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #39: February 05, 2018, 10:05:58 PM »
Let's not forget about Montgomery Inn....

Amen to that

Offline Ray D

« Reply #40: February 06, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
So who pitched the complete game shutout? :poke:
Phillies scored one top of the ninth.  Then in the bottom of the ninth the game ended on a runner trying to score from first on a double getting thrown out at the plate. So Carleton.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #41: February 06, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
Available locally at any Hard Times Cafe of course.

Like the original one in Old Town:

(Image removed from quote.)

...but not the one opposite Clarendon Metrorail station (because it's now closed).

That location in its last days was the official gathering place for Virginia Tech occasions, succeeding in that capacity Baileys in Ballston Common which had also closed down...seems like Hokie Nation is generating bad vibes for area eateries/bars.

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
« Reply #42: February 20, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
Reds single-game tickets go on sale Saturday, "excluding Opening Day" . . . 

Offline heeman82

« Reply #43: February 24, 2018, 04:29:21 PM »
Just booked my my flight for the morning of the 29th.  Pumped.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #44: February 24, 2018, 04:45:45 PM »
Reds single-game tickets go on sale Saturday, "excluding Opening Day" . . .
You had to have entered a lottery to buy the tickets for opening day.  You have to buy opening day and another game. I will find out next week I believe if I was one of the lucky ones. I believe the remainder of the tickets are offered at the ticket box a few weeks before opening day. See below for a link about last year.

https://amp.cincinnati.com/98293420

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: February 26, 2018, 08:43:29 AM »
Is there a chance the Nats will have a section worth of tickets to sell fans here? 

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
« Reply #46: February 28, 2018, 06:01:40 AM »
You had to have entered a lottery to buy the tickets for opening day.  You have to buy opening day and another game. I will find out next week I believe if I was one of the lucky ones. I believe the remainder of the tickets are offered at the ticket box a few weeks before opening day. See below for a link about last year.

https://amp.cincinnati.com/98293420

I entered but learned yesterday I didn't win.  Prices on stubhub have come down considerably from a few weeks ago so I bought my pair.  I'm ready!

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #47: February 28, 2018, 07:52:42 AM »
Is there a chance the Nats will have a section worth of tickets to sell fans here?

Only if Kasten is now working for the Reds

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: March 21, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »
I'm seeing a forecast for a high of 59 and 60 percent chance of rain that day. Of course it's early.

As it turns out we will be coming back to the DC area that weekend so I will miss the Nats visit. Hope those of you attending the games have fun.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: March 21, 2018, 07:36:01 AM »
When I looked a few days ago there were still standing room tickets available on the Reds web site at $35. And a few individual tickets for sale here and there.