Author Topic: Question For Rizzo  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Question For Rizzo
« Reply #25: January 29, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »
I trust that this talk of moving trees is in jest.   But I can't really tell.

Plus I hate the idea of cutting down trees.

They're not going to cut down or move trees that were planted during the inaugural season and have been nurtured to become a signature of the park when they bloom in spring.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #26: January 29, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »
They're not going to cut down or move trees that were planted during the inaugural season and have been nurtured to become a signature of the park when they bloom in spring.
So they're not 10 years old as PB suggests, they're 13 plus however old the were when planted.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: January 29, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
The cheapest strips will start at $800. In the outfield for the HR derby they will be priced higher. If the stands are mobile they can use them for opening day, the 4th, and the NLDS.
what about the NLCS and World Series?  Oh  . . .
:couch:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: January 29, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »
I forget, are the trees in planters or are they rooted in the ground?  I could see moving them if they are in planters, but chopping them is too drastic.  Plus, they are probably related to the LEED certification, and I don't think the district would want the PR hit.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #29: January 29, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
I forget, are the trees in planters or are they rooted in the ground?  I could see moving them if they are in planters, but chopping them is too drastic.  Plus, they are probably related to the LEED certification, and I don't think the district would want the PR hit.

They are in the ground and would have to be transplanted. They've grown to be quite big so transplanting them would be no easy feat. Cutting them down is one of the weirder ideas I've heard on this board in a while. The Nats would get absolutely ripped for it, as you said.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #30: January 29, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
So they're not 10 years old as PB suggests, they're 13 plus however old the were when planted.

They were planted in 2008 when the park opened. I would say they're about 20 feet tall or so with diameter of a foot or so.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #31: January 29, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »
There are three trillion trees in the world, no one gives a crap about those six.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: January 29, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
It's an all star game, so people really think there will be an insane level of demand that needs new seating to accommodate it for an exhibition?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: January 29, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »
There are three trillion trees in the world, no one gives a crap about those six.

I cant decide if this is trolling or not.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #34: January 29, 2018, 12:55:41 PM »
They were planted in 2008 when the park opened.

I wasn't thinking straight.  "Inaugural" said 2005 to me.  I forgot that was RFK.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #35: January 29, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
No one gives a crap about the All Star Game.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #36: January 29, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
It's an all star game, so people really think there will be an insane level of demand that needs new seating to accommodate it for an exhibition?

I don't knoow if you're being facetious but, yes, without a doubt demand will be through the roof. As you know, this is a national level event so demand will also be driven by out of town guests.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: January 29, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
I don't knoow if you're being facetious but, yes, without a doubt demand will be through the roof. As you know, this is a national level event so demand will also be driven by out of town guests.

:lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #38: January 29, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
:lmao:

Hey, there are people on this thread who are seriously suggesting the Nats cut down the cherry trees in the park so I really can't tell who is serious or not. :shrug:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #39: January 29, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »
Hey, there are people on this thread who are seriously suggesting the Nats cut down the cherry trees in the park so I really can't tell who is serious or not. :shrug:
Those trying to give the impression of seriously suggesting this are trolling.  There is no way they are going to remove those trees.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #40: January 29, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »
Those trying to give the impression of seriously suggesting this are trolling.  There is no way they are going to remove those trees.

Who knows if they're trolling or not and who cares.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #41: January 29, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
Just sell SRO tickets...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: January 29, 2018, 01:46:28 PM »

It’s an exhibition, I’m guessing ticket demand and prices on the secondary market will end up lower than both 2008 opening day and the 2012 playoffs

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43: January 29, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
I'm thinking George can chop down the cherry trees as a promotion for the ASG.
Just sell SRO tickets...
I'd double the number of SRO tickets and have the SRO section require sitting piggyback.

For the benefit of those who can't tell, I am using the absurd scenario for humor, only

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #44: January 29, 2018, 02:10:31 PM »
It’s an exhibition, I’m guessing ticket demand and prices on the secondary market will end up lower than both 2008 opening day and the 2012 playoffs

Maybe, but I don't think so. Again, you have national level interest (think lots of corporate types like the Super Bowl) and the fact that this is a once in a lifetime event in DC. Playoffs are every year (hopefully) and feature several games. Perhaps 2008 and 2005 are fair comparisons, but there was not that national level interest.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #45: January 29, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
I'd double the number of SRO tickets and have the SRO section require sitting piggyback.

LOL that's more likely to happen than chopping down the trees. :rofl:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: January 29, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
Maybe, but I don't think so. Again, you have national level interest (think lots of corporate types like the Super Bowl) and the fact that this is a once in a lifetime event in DC. Playoffs are every year (hopefully) and feature several games. Perhaps 2008 and 2005 are fair comparisons, but there was not that national level interest.

Just look at how much hype the pro bowl got last week

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #47: January 29, 2018, 02:43:58 PM »
There was a Pro Bowl game ?

Just look at how much hype the pro bowl got last week

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #48: January 29, 2018, 03:54:11 PM »
The cheapest strips will start at $800. In the outfield for the HR derby they will be priced higher. If the stands are mobile they can use them for opening day, the 4th, and the NLDS.

:spit:

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #49: January 29, 2018, 04:17:43 PM »
There was a Pro Bowl game ?

Great comment!!