Author Topic: Why is "The National Pastime" only the 3rd most popular sport?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Has being consumed by greed----I mean assuming players and owners are consumed with greed---caused it ruination.
I grew up with teachers bringing a TV into the classroom so us youngins could watch the played in daylight World Series. Since then generations of young fans know the WS as something night owls watch.

Offline HalfSmokes

Has being consumed by greed----I mean assuming players and owners are consumed with greed---caused it ruination.
I grew up with teachers bringing a TV into the classroom so us youngins could watch the played in daylight World Series. Since then generations of young fans know the WS as something night owls watch.

I for one won't let my daughters watch a game until players agree to work for minimum wage and work the concessions when not playing just like in the glory days

Offline LoveAngelos

Wouldn't  it be great to buy a hot dog from Bryce Harper. I'm going to run down to the bank tomorrow  and apply for a loan.

They can make all the money they want without care whether interest in the sport will dry up and it appears they are doing a good job of it. I don't  blame them for not caring because  they are getting theirs  now.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

How is that any different than any other sport?  FWIW, my kids probably wouldn't watch baseball unless I forced them to watch it.  The game is too slow, and there aren't enough stars. For them it's the NBA first, NFL 2nd, Baseball third.  The subtleties of baseball strategy don't appeal to the video game generation.

However, they will watch playoff baseball.  Regular season baseball, with the long schedule, and slow games, doesn't have the appeal of the other sports.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Greed :lmao:

Meanwhile ever other sport is raking in cash too. freaking retarded logic.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
It's not the money. It's TV. It's no coincidence that the rise of other sports (especially football) happened around the same time as the spread of TV. Baseball is just not that good on TV for the average sports fan.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Even Stanley Kubrick couldn't get me to watch an NBA game. 

Offline imref

It's not the money. It's TV. It's no coincidence that the rise of other sports (especially football) happened around the same time as the spread of TV. Baseball is just not that good on TV for the average sports fan.

Regular season baseball - yes.  Playoff baseball does just fine.

Offline imref

I'll watch the last five minutes of an NBA game as that's all that usually matters.  The end of the Wizards/Jazz last night was fun.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

I had to google Stanley Kubrick.     :shrug:    That's a pretty psychedelic lineup.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Regular season baseball - yes.  Playoff baseball does just fine.

I agree, but it's the pace of baseball that kills it as a TV activity. It's just too tempting to reach for the remote sometimes.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I had to google Stanley Kubrick.     :shrug:    That's a pretty psychedelic lineup.

:hysterical: What the hell?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
:hysterical: What the hell?

I don't spend a lot of time diggin' into art and artists.    I was a DJ for a long time and never spent a lot of time studying who produced an album.    I've probably seen most of the movies and was familiar with his name but puttin' the two together is for others.    Gives people who think they're intelligent and "deep" something to do    ....   in case they make it to Jeopardy.     Different strokes for different folks.

Offline hotshot

I agree, but it's the pace of baseball that kills it as a TV activity. It's just too tempting to reach for the remote sometimes.

Interesting that American pro football is the only one of the top three totally unable to export its product. Truth be told, maybe 10% of Brits living in London find American football even the slightest bit interesting. Baseball, to a great extent, and basketball to a lesser extent have pro leagues around the world.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I had to google Stanley Kubrick.     :shrug:    That's a pretty psychedelic lineup.

A reference to A Clockwork Orange where the guy had his eyes forcibly propped open...

I couldn't recall the character's name...  :-[

Offline imref

Interesting that American pro football is the only one of the top three totally unable to export its product. Truth be told, maybe 10% of Brits living in London find American football even the slightest bit interesting. Baseball, to a great extent, and basketball to a lesser extent have pro leagues around the world.

Baseball is exciting compared to cricket :)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
But baseball has 100% fewer little wooden thingies than cricket.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I don't spend a lot of time diggin' into art and artists.    I was a DJ for a long time and never spent a lot of time studying who produced an album.    I've probably seen most of the movies and was familiar with his name but puttin' the two together is for others.    Gives people who think they're intelligent and "deep" something to do    ....   in case they make it to Jeopardy.     Different strokes for different folks.

I was just surprised because I know freak-all about movie trivia myself, but to me Kubrick is one of those transcendent figures like Spielberg or Hitchcock.

Offline rileyn

Baseball's fan base is older than the others.  The sport is losing generations of new fans partly because very few kids on the east coast have watched a World Series game past the 3rd inning in 15 years.  The games start at 8:30 and end after midnight most times. 

To go along with the above point, baseball is not the trendy/hot sport.  African Americans have almost completely stopped playing and so pop-culture-wise, the sport lacks all cache.  This could be due to pace of play, or lack of perceived athleticism needed to play the sport. 

The rising popularity of lacrosse.  Where I live in Howard County, the kids play lacrosse, not baseball.

Gambling!  The rise of football was fueled by how great a sport it is to gamble on.  Fantasy football is way more popular than fantasy baseball.

Unwritten rules are lame.   

Offline aspenbubba

My grandkids play hockey and get up early in the morning to watch the men's and women's teams in the Olympics on TV. Under no circumstance will they voluntarily go to a Nat's game. Too boring and slow.

Offline dcpatti

To go along with the above point, baseball is not the trendy/hot sport.  African Americans have almost completely stopped playing and so pop-culture-wise, the sport lacks all cache.  This could be due to pace of play, or lack of perceived athleticism needed to play the sport. 

This article covers some of the reasons that poor black kids don’t start playing baseball (hint: it’s money). http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-black-baseball-spt-0925-20160923-story.html

My friends’ 12-year-old daughter plays on a travel ball team and it costs them about $12k/season for dues, equipment, and travel expenses. Yikes.

Offline HalfSmokes

This article covers some of the reasons that poor black kids don’t start playing baseball (hint: it’s money). http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-black-baseball-spt-0925-20160923-story.html

My friends’ 12-year-old daughter plays on a travel ball team and it costs them about $12k/season for dues, equipment, and travel expenses. Yikes.

Most travel sports aren't much different. The travel team for our daughters rec soccer league costs thousands and charges a $100 fee to apply for financial assistance. Kids sports are a huge business because everyone's kid is above average and has to play other above average kids at fancy complexes in other states. Besides, think of all the partial scholarships your 100k investment might get you.

Offline hotshot

Cricket's actually not bad to watch at all. Once you understand the rules and strategy.

Offline dcpatti

Most travel sports aren't much different. The travel team for our daughters rec soccer league costs thousands and charges a $100 fee to apply for financial assistance. Kids sports are a huge business because everyone's kid is above average and has to play other above average kids at fancy complexes in other states. Besides, think of all the partial scholarships your 100k investment might get you.

I do have a friend in Australia whose 13-year-old kid is being scouted by FIFA.  The kid's nickname is "Meal Ticket."

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
  Gives people who think they're intelligent and "deep" something to do    ....   in case they make it to Jeopardy.     

:spit: