Author Topic: Why is "The National Pastime" only the 3rd most popular sport?  (Read 2949 times)

Offline nfotiu

How are we measuring that the NBA is more popular than baseball?   MLB has nearly double the total revenue of the NBA.   

Offline UMDNats

Has being consumed by greed----I mean assuming players and owners are consumed with greed---caused it ruination.
I grew up with teachers bringing a TV into the classroom so us youngins could watch the played in daylight World Series. Since then generations of young fans know the WS as something night owls watch.

this belongs in the HOF of bad takes

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
How are we measuring that the NBA is more popular than baseball?   MLB has nearly double the total revenue of the NBA.

I assume he’s referring to TV ratings.

Offline nfotiu

I assume he’s referring to TV ratings.
Is there an apples to apples measure for that?  Seems like the handful of marquee nba games get big national ratings, but is anyone watching the other 1000 games?   I suspect MLB gets much stronger local viewership on an every day basis.  I think World Series ratings are generally substantially higher than the NBA Finals.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Is there an apples to apples measure for that?  Seems like the handful of marquee nba games get big national ratings, but is anyone watching the other 1000 games?   I suspect MLB gets much stronger local viewership on an every day basis.  I think World Series ratings are generally substantially higher than the NBA Finals.

Here is a good take on it. It a couple of years old but I think it still holds. One caveat: it doesn’t include WS ratings for 2016 and this year, which were way up (Cubs plus 2 seven game series).

https://amp.businessinsider.com/major-league-baseball-nba-popularity-2015-2

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Playing half the games...

Offline HalfSmokes

Here is a good take on it. It a couple of years old but I think it still holds. One caveat: it doesn’t include WS ratings for 2016 and this year, which were way up (Cubs plus 2 seven game series).

https://amp.businessinsider.com/major-league-baseball-nba-popularity-2015-2

Baseball is fine, but that's not what people like to hear. Like you said ws ratings were way up http://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/world-series-game-6-drew-unexpectedly-massive-audience-besting-even-2016.html Local tv money may shrink and force lower payrolls, but baseball seems healthy

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Only in the minds of the people that run ESPN is the NBA more popular than MLB.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Only in the minds of the people that run ESPN is the NBA more popular than MLB.
ESPN's NBA coverage would be better rated if they all used Mean Girl voices when they discuss players off the court.

Offline Optics

Baseball does a terrible job marketing its stars. Its got as many stars as any sport but you just don't see them much. NBA markets its stars wonderfully and the NFL does a good job too.

Offline HalfSmokes

Baseball does a terrible job marketing its stars. Its got as many stars as any sport but you just don't see them much. NBA markets its stars wonderfully and the NFL does a good job too.

Baseball highlight reels are t as entertaining as basketball or football

Offline LoveAngelos

Difficult to market your stars when your showcase events such as the All Star game and playoffs are on tv after the witching hour. I think it is also hard to maerket stars fans can no longer identify with as they did in simpler times.

Offline HalfSmokes

Difficult to market your stars when your showcase events such as the All Star game and playoffs are on tv after the witching hour. I think it is also hard to maerket stars fans can no longer identify with as they did in simpler times.

most NBA games finals had 9:00 pm tipoffs, the rest 8:00 pm. The world series had 8:00 pm start times. Logical consistency is hard sometimes

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
most NBA games finals had 9:00 pm tipoffs, the rest 8:00 pm. The world series had 8:00 pm start times. Logical consistency is hard sometimes

On the other hand, NBA games usually last about 2 hours. Baseball playoff games sometimes go for more than 4 hours.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

Highlights, yes. Actual games, no. For the average sports fan, IMO.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

What does this even mean?

Also, the biggest NFL game every weeks starts at 8:30, So will a game on Saturday night. The NBA finals starts even later I think. The CFP championship started at 8:30. So do most games in the NHL playoffs.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

I can't tell if you were say "are" or "aren't"
Baseball highlights are boring. Take the Home Run for instance. Home runs are exciting. Home runs on SportscCenter aren't. The beauty of the homer isn't the athletic achievement, it's the moment.  You can actually predict which highlight is going to be a homer before it's even hit.
Football and Basketball highlights typically feature more athletic feats which don't need the context of the moment (typically)

Offline HalfSmokes

I can't tell if you were say "are" or "aren't"
Baseball highlights are boring. Take the Home Run for instance. Home runs are exciting. Home runs on SportscCenter aren't. The beauty of the homer isn't the athletic achievement, it's the moment.  You can actually predict which highlight is going to be a homer before it's even hit.
Football and Basketball highlights typically feature more athletic feats which don't need the context of the moment (typically)

missed the n. It's not just home runs. A great pitching performance is about achievement over the course of a game and the ability to still have stamina left at the end. Even something like a perfect game or no hitter is great because of the tension- distilling it down to a couple of pitches loses that. The highlights baseball has that can compete with football or basketball insanely athletic catches, but it usually isn't the stars making those plays

Offline UMDNats

What does this even mean?

lots of today's stars are international, but back in "simpler times" they were almost all white Americans. hmmm

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
lots of today's stars are international, but back in "simpler times" they were almost all white Americans. hmmm
well, if you watched inning 1 of Ken Burns's Baseball, you would know that in NYC during the 1850s there were scores of teams playing "base," from different professions and different areas.  so, when you went to the Elysian Fields, you might see a team of undertakers, firefighters, barrelmakers, stevedores, lawyers, and others with gumption that round the bases with alacrity.  About the only thing someone from back then could relate to with today's players is the facial hair.  Dallas Keuchel would have been a natural for the tariff collectors.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
well, if you watched inning 1 of Ken Burns's Baseball, you would know that in NYC during the 1850s there were scores of teams playing "base," from different professions and different areas.  so, when you went to the Elysian Fields, you might see a team of undertakers, firefighters, barrelmakers, stevedores, lawyers, and others with gumption that round the bases with alacrity.  About the only thing someone from back then could relate to with today's players is the facial hair.  Dallas Keuchel would have been a natural for the tariff collectors.

I would not have called any of those people stars, though.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I would not have called any of those people stars, though.
other than John Smith, the blacksmith, and John Cooper, the barrelmaker, and the scandalous Arsonio Lightem, the erstwhile firefighter, the rest are kind of lost to history.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Yep:

Andrew Baggarly
@extrabaggs
Baseball is worried about losing young fans because of pace of play? How about a third of the teams not trying to win? Ask a Pirates fan today if they're concerned about pace of play.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Yep:

Except that building teams via tearing them down and building farm systems is proven to work. See the Royals, Cubs, and Astros. Would you tell the Tigers that they should have kept Upton, JD, Verlander, and Kinsler in a vain attempt to contend next year even though that team had clearly run its course and wasn't gonna win anymore? The smart solution is to rebuild. It sucks for Tigers fans right now, but if you asked Astros fans if those years of being awful were worth it to get a World Series, they'd probably say yes.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Except that building teams via tearing them down and building farm systems is proven to work. See the Royals, Cubs, and Astros.

Nice cherry-picking, but it fails just as often as it works.  See: the Marlins during the Beinfest/Hill era, the Padres, the Brewers, the A's, the Orioles, etc.