Author Topic: NCAA Basketball 2017-2018  (Read 9683 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: NCAA Basketball 2017-2018
« Reply #375: March 12, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
Off shore accounts mostly.
Cypriot banks are great for money laundering, swiss for hiding more traditional assets looted from your subjects.  The  Chief uses a Swiss bank account to hide what he's raided from the homes of various plant-eating dinos.  As for me, I prefer the Grand Caymans for the surfing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #376: March 12, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »
I like the Seth Davia question. The lesser conferences have no chance because they can't schedule the top teams. And there was no real answer from the committee chair. The final four runs by George Mason and VCU show the little guys can compete. It's a shame they don't see it that way.
Well, you can schedule them early in the year at their gyms.  The top Ivy programs are doing this.  Granted, this year, there weren't that many wins, but they tried.  Of its 14 non-conference games, yale schedules at least one ACC, PAC-12, B1G, and a Big 12 every year.  Amaker is the same way, and I'm pretty sure Princeton and Penn do this.  Last year, we beat Fultz at Washington, went to China and I think played Stanford, and have played at Pitt, Penn State, Duke, and VaTech in the past 3 years. This is how Calipari built the UMass program in the 90s.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #377: March 12, 2018, 08:34:14 AM »
Well, you can schedule them early in the year at their gyms.  The top Ivy programs are doing this.  Granted, this year, there weren't that many wins, but they tried.  Of its 14 non-conference games, yale schedules at least one ACC, PAC-12, B1G, and a Big 12 every year.  Amaker is the same way, and I'm pretty sure Princeton and Penn do this.  Last year, we beat Fultz at Washington, went to China and I think played Stanford, and have played at Pitt, Penn State, Duke, and VaTech in the past 3 years. This is how Calipari built the UMass program in the 90s.
There are limited opportunities though. The special preseason tournament and challengers have taken some away as you said. Beating Washingron with Fultz was no great thing. They had a losing record. Penn beat Dayton out here this year. But a down year for Dayton. UMAss was also helped by having Temple in the same conference who were already national contenders.

Penn really for shafted with a 16 seed. Every ranking I have seen of the postseason teams has them at 59-61 out of 68!  And yet they end up at 16. Makes no sense.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #378: March 12, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »
There are limited opportunities though. The special preseason tournament and challengers have taken some away as you said. Beating Washingron with Fultz was no great thing. They had a losing record. Penn beat Dayton out here this year. But a down year for Dayton. UMAss was also helped by having Temple in the same conference who were already national contenders.

Penn really for shafted with a 16 seed. Every ranking I have seen of the postseason teams has them at 59-61 out of 68!  And yet they end up at 16. Makes no sense.

The committee could fix it tomorrow if they wanted to - extra consideration for teams that play mid majors who finished in the top five in their conferences the prior years, and knockoff points for those who don’t. It is hard on the big school because a lot of scheduling is years in advance and by the time a game rolls around that mid major major have returned to cupcake status

Online bluestreak

« Reply #379: March 12, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »

Agreed. There is limited upside to a high major playing a team like St. Mary’s and MTSU. To the average fan, it looks bad if you lose and if you win, it’s just assumed you were supposed to do that anyway.
And none of the big schools will go to the mid majors gym for fear of getting embarrassed. We aren’t asking the Power 6 teams to literally play all of their difficult games on the road.
Lastly, there should be a different valuation of losses, a loss by 3 at, say, UNC is probably indicates a better team than beating Syracuse. But beating Syracuse counts more to the committee.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #380: March 12, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be to set up the equivalent of "pairwise" for D1 hoops? This is the system in D1 hockey that more or less uses an RPI, head to head records, common opponents, and other specific, record based factors that account for strength of schedule to come up with a rank order of how each team would do against every other D1 team, and then ranks by the number of matchups a team wins.  The conference tournament winners all make the field, then just a specific ranking of all the remaining teams.  It's an established formula so no one can complain about being in or out.  It might be too much with 250+ D1 hoop programs, but the virtue is that, if you don't make it, you can't complain about subjective committee bias. 

Here's an explanation:
http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Maybe the fact that there are more common opponent matchups in hockey makes it feasible, but some other, well understood formula should be used in hoops

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #381: March 12, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be to set up the equivalent of "pairwise" for D1 hoops? This is the system in D1 hockey that more or less uses an RPI, head to head records, common opponents, and other specific, record based factors that account for strength of schedule to come up with a rank order of how each team would do against every other D1 team, and then ranks by the number of matchups a team wins.  The conference tournament winners all make the field, then just a specific ranking of all the remaining teams.  It's an established formula so no one can complain about being in or out.  It might be too much with 250+ D1 hoop programs, but the virtue is that, if you don't make it, you can't complain about subjective committee bias. 

Here's an explanation:
http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

Maybe the fact that there are more common opponent matchups in hockey makes it feasible, but some other, well understood formula should be used in hoops

It seems like a more insular league - like the patriot or ivy - pulling a couple of upsets or beating bottom feeders and not playing upper tier teams in major conferences could yield some screwy results

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #382: March 12, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
Liberty and NCA&T are on in the College Insider Tournament on CBS Sports. It has begun.

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #383: March 12, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »
Why is Duke the only one syllable team name (Penn = Pennsylvania) in the tourney?     Coincidence?     In Feinstein's book A Good Walk Spoiled (golf) he quotes the old joke:

"Why do they call it "golf"?
"When it was invented, all the other four letter words were taken."

Same must be true for Duke.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #384: March 12, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »
Why is Duke the only one syllable team name (Penn = Pennsylvania) in the tourney?     Coincidence?     In Feinstein's book A Good Walk Spoiled (golf) he quotes the old joke:

"Why do they call it "golf"?
"When it was invented, all the other four letter words were taken."

Same must be true for Duke.

Man, all the Duke hate.

Online mitlen

« Reply #385: March 12, 2018, 09:33:32 PM »
Man, all the Duke hate.

:lol:     It's more this :poke: than "Duke hate".

How far you goin' with Blue in your brackets?    I got 'em losin' to Carolina.

Providence could be the sleeper.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #386: March 12, 2018, 09:37:20 PM »
Man, all the Duke hate.
We're just getting started.

Online mitlen

« Reply #387: March 12, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
We're just getting started.

I haven't liked Duke since Jack Marin went there.    I forgave him when he played for the Bullets.      Plus, Dick Groat was a Duke grad.   I couldn't "hate" 'em too much.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #388: March 12, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »
I haven't liked Duke since Jack Marin went there.    I forgave him when he played for the Bullets.      Plus, Dick Groat was a Duke grad.   I couldn't "hate" 'em too much.   
Was Jack Marin the guy with the Blatche birthmark on his arm?

Online mitlen

« Reply #389: March 12, 2018, 09:47:47 PM »
Was Jack Marin the guy with the Blatche birthmark on his arm?

Yep

Have I mentioned he's a W. PA guy?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #390: March 12, 2018, 09:50:53 PM »
Yep

Have I mentioned he's a W. PA guy?

No way. Who isn't from western PA. Maybe Ovie?

Online mitlen

« Reply #391: March 12, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
No way. Who isn't from western PA. Maybe Ovie?

I have a buddy who asks me that in much more graphic terms.    :)

Online OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #392: March 13, 2018, 09:07:41 AM »
Well Virginia fans, it must have been fun while it lasted...#1 overall seed but you're on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week and The Jinx is heading your way.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #393: March 13, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
Well Virginia fans, it must have been fun while it lasted...#1 overall seed but you're on the cover of Sports Illustrated this week and The Jinx is heading your way.

If they lose, then I switch to the other university I attended to get my JD, and I know certain people here would just love that. (Duke University:)

Online bluestreak

« Reply #394: March 13, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
If they lose, then I switch to the other university I attended to get my JD, and I know certain people here would just love that. (Duke University:)

Apparently everyone hates them except for me and you.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #395: March 13, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »
Radford vs LIU-Brooklyn tonight at 6:40 PM on TruTV (preempting 24 hours a day of Impractical Jokers).

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #396: March 13, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
Apparently everyone hates them except for me and you.

I’ve known people who profess to hate the basketball program who will ask how I could have gone there. I’m not an athlete. Why would athletics influence where I went to school unless all things were otherwise equal, which of course they never are?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #397: March 13, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
I don’t get the hate; so many programs have objectively awful players yet get total passes

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #398: March 13, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
I liked Duke when Gene Banks and Gminski were there. And Bill Foster was the coach. Coach K was ok in the early years. I think it's the general arrogance. Bilas is wrong all the time in tv and yet it doesn't stop him from acting smug. And for years we had to put up with Vitale slobbering all over Coach K.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #399: March 13, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »
I liked Duke when Gene Banks and Gminski were there. And Bill Foster was the coach. Coach K was ok in the early years. I think it's the general arrogance. Bilas is wrong all the time in tv and yet it doesn't stop him from acting smug. And for years we had to put up with Vitale slobbering all over Coach K.

So Basically when they started winning consistently...