Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2018)  (Read 44677 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: MLB & Division Watching (2018)
« Reply #50: January 26, 2018, 10:00:58 AM »
You either pay in money or you pay in prospects. If the Marlins wanted more prospects for Stanton, they could have always sent some cash back to New York to offset that salary.  A lot of people think the Marlins got fleeced in the Stanton deal, but not being on the hook for the outstanding salary is worth a ton, and being on the hook for that salary will eventually be very expensive to the Yankees.
To me they panicked and traded him too soon. Could have held out for more.

Offline blue911

« Reply #51: January 26, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
You either pay in money or you pay in prospects. If the Marlins wanted more prospects for Stanton, they could have always sent some cash back to New York to offset that salary.  A lot of people think the Marlins got fleeced in the Stanton deal, but not being on the hook for the outstanding salary is worth a ton, and being on the hook for that salary will eventually be very expensive to the Yankees.

I think it's reasonable to criticize the Marlins for announcing they had to slash payroll so drastically that the only avenue was through trading Stanton.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #52: January 26, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »
To me they panicked and traded him too soon. Could have held out for more.

Not when your number of potential trading partners is so small (i.e. teams that can afford Stanton AND are also destinations for which he might consider lifting his No Trade clause) and power bat outfielders are plentiful. The Yankees were under no pressure to get that deal done.

I think it's reasonable to criticize the Marlins for announcing they had to slash payroll so drastically that the only avenue was through trading Stanton.

Other teams are not blind; it's been no secret that the Marlins' payroll has been unsustainable and that Stanton was the biggest line item there. Any FO worth their salt could see that coming. 

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #53: January 26, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »
Man, the Marlins got quite a bit weaker short-term.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #54: January 26, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
The exact proxy of this was the A-Rod trade. He was a year younger, coming off an MVP season. Texas got 3 arb years of Alfonso Soriano, and Joaquin Arias who was a low-A wildcard (18 years old, .649 OPS in low-A in 2003). AND Texas paid 37% of his remaining contract. AND his contract only had 7 remaining years, not 10. AND we've had 15 years of clubs getting smarter since then.

I think it's reasonable to assume that Miami, if willing to pay 37% of Stanton's remaining contract and Stanton's deal was 3 years shorter, would have gotten a much better deal.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #55: January 26, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
Mets sign Wifebeater Reyes and DFA Josh Smoker, which makes no sense because the Mets aren’t exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to their bullpen and smoker actually had a decent second half last year (after a pretty horrific first half). Mets!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #56: January 26, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
Mets sign Wifebeater Reyes and DFA Josh Smoker, which makes no sense because the Mets aren’t exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to their bullpen and smoker actually had a decent second half last year (after a pretty horrific first half). Mets!

Joe Walsh did an album years ago, prescient.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #57: January 29, 2018, 09:25:03 AM »

Maybe, but the MLBPA doesn't seem to be buying regarding recent Marlins and Pirates payroll-slashing: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-players-union-reportedly-upset-with-marlins-and-pirates-for-slashing-payroll/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #58: January 29, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
there really needs to be an MLB minimum payroll in order for a team to receive revenues from league TV, media, and revenue sharing.  how  is it for other teams when they have to play in Miami when fans stay away and when the Marlins show up with an AAA roster at your home games?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #59: January 29, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
there really needs to be an MLB minimum payroll in order for a team to receive revenues from league TV, media, and revenue sharing.  how  is it for other teams when they have to play in Miami when fans stay away and when the Marlins show up with an AAA roster at your home games?

This.  The Nats' home attendance was down last year and the overall weakness of the NL East has got to be one factor in there.  Opponent fans aren't traveling to see their team on the road and you can't blame them. You also can't blame Nats fans for not being enthusiastic to go see a Tuesday night game against the lame Marlins or the boring Phillies.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #60: January 29, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »

A similar situation existed at the Oakland A's in the late 1970's, as the Charlie Finley ownership was nearing its end. The roster had been strip-mined (in a fashion similar to that of the Marlins) and attendance plunged incredibly, with literal three-digit attendances sometimes being reported; as a result, MLB instituted a minimum guaranteed share of gate revenues (or minimum guaranty amount in cases such as the aforementioned three-digit attendances) for visiting teams. Not sure if that's still the rule today, but it was called into play in the aforementioned case.

Offline dcpatti

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #62: January 29, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
RIP Chief Wahoo (after this year). https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html

I'm not really all riled up about names and such but that caricature was pretty bad. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #64: January 30, 2018, 07:21:11 AM »
RIP Chief Wahoo (after this year). https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/sports/baseball/cleveland-indians-chief-wahoo-logo.html

PC marches on (much talk last night on the radio about whether this will force the Redskins to change their team name).

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #65: January 30, 2018, 08:22:25 AM »
PC marches on (much talk last night on the radio about whether this will force the Redskins to change their team name).

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66: January 30, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »

One person’s “PC” is another person’s “decency”

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #67: January 30, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »

One person’s “PC” is another person’s “decency”

I don't mean to get political but this is where I've landed over the years.     It doesn't diminish me to be decent/nice to somebody.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #68: January 30, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
I don't mean to get political but this is where I've landed over the years.     It doesn't diminish me to be decent/nice to somebody.   

That doesn't seem to be the prevailing view lately.  And unfortunately.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: February 02, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
Anyone think the owners decided to play chicken with the union now that Tony Clark is in charge? Somehow I don't see this ending as well for the players as it would have under Miller or Fehr

Again, there are still free agents to be signed. Nevertheless, this doesn’t look good. More than half the teams in the league have cut spending and nearly one-third have done so by more than 20%. The graph still understates the amount of spending that is being cut because those teams on the left already had low payrolls. Increasing the Brewers spending by 43% only augments their payroll by $27 million. Nine teams are seeing decreases of at least that much. All of the increases, meanwhile, amount only to around $147 million. The drops of the Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Dodgers, and New York Yankees add up to $147 million alone.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-payroll-might-decrease-for-first-time-in-long-time/

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #70: February 02, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
Anyone think the owners decided to play chicken with the union now that Tony Clark is in charge? Somehow I don't see this ending as well for the players as it would have under Miller or Fehr

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-payroll-might-decrease-for-first-time-in-long-time/

I think it has almost everything to do with analytics being used by every team. Sorry not that many teams want to pay guys like JD Martinez $200 million anymore, or give the Hosmers of the world 8 year contracts.

Frankly, if you want to give the money back to the players, stop agreeing to make players indentured servants during their peak production years. Rookie year is pre-arb, 2nd and 3rd years are arb years, 4th season the player enters free agency.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #71: February 02, 2018, 02:46:54 PM »
There probably needs to be a strike during the next CBA negotiations.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #72: February 02, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »

They should strike in early October.  One sure way for the Nats not to lose in the NLDS...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #73: February 02, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »

probably. Getting rid of the luxury tax and either lessening pre arb years or the amount of time a player can spend in the minors seem to be the most obvious solutions for the players and there is no way the owners give on either without a massive fight

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #74: February 02, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
A couple of FG articles suggest having at least some of the league revenues be distributed to reward winning.  It's similar to what the Premier League does.  If there were graduated premiums for finishing top two thirds of your league, you might see teams be more willing to not tank. 

Just imagine how much extra the Nats would have had with near-top records . . .