Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2018)  (Read 9847 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2018)
« Reply #25: January 17, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
This looks great

i made this recipe last week: https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/pinchos-morunos (spanish pork loin bites) and it was fantastic.  The show is very good, Kimbell travels to different areas then tries to turn their signature recipes into something that can easily be cooked at home.

Offline imref

« Reply #26: January 22, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »
This is next up on the must cook list:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/chiang-mai-chicken

made it tonight using skinless / boneless breasts.  Fantastic but over-cooked it a bit so it was a little on the dry side.  The spice marinade was great.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #27: January 23, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »
Any way to view those 177mikstreet.com links without entering your e-mail address?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: January 23, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »
Any way to view those 177mikstreet.com links without entering your e-mail address?

Enter VaRK's.

Offline imref

« Reply #29: January 23, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
Enter VaRK's.

it doesn't validate your email address, I entered chriskimbell@177milkstreet.com

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #30: January 23, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
it doesn't validate your email address, I entered chriskimbell@177milkstreet.com

Thanks, I'll try using my old, now-deleted, e-mail address later today.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #31: January 23, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »

Would be more fun to use VaRK's.

Offline imref

« Reply #32: January 23, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
Would be more fun to use VaRK's.

hillary4life@gmail.com :couch: ?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #33: January 23, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
hillary4life@gmail.com :couch: ?

mattpatriciamaxscherzermattpatricia@imwithher.org

Offline imref

« Reply #34: January 23, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »

:hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #35: January 23, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
 :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #36: January 24, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
Good to hear.  I'll let you know when I try it in the IP.  I just picked up a couple of pork loins from Costco over the weekend.

Tonight's IP meal was this: https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-mongolian-chicken/ with a side of brown rice and some broccoli.  Family loved it.  It took about 10 minutes to prep and 25 to cook (5 minutes to get up to pressure, 10 minutes cook time, and 10 minutes natural cool down before manual pressure release).

Damn that looks good!  I'm gonna have to look into one of those Instant Pots.

In the meantime, does anyone have a good crab cake recipe?  Been craving for some.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #37: January 24, 2018, 10:49:11 AM »
Made this recipe last night and it was really great.  Leftovers will be good for making pork tacos.

i made this recipe last week: https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/pinchos-morunos (spanish pork loin bites) and it was fantastic.  The show is very good, Kimbell travels to different areas then tries to turn their signature recipes into something that can easily be cooked at home.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #38: January 24, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »

In the meantime, does anyone have a good crab cake recipe?  Been craving for some.

I will ask my mom because she and my father make outstanding crabcakes. May be a day or so before she responds.

For what it's worth, if you don't mind trying store-bought crabcakes, the ones from Wegmans—at least the Wegmans on Telegraph Road, anyway—are about the best ones we've had, less filler than most others (no bell peppers!) and no breading. They're in the same aisle as the seafood counter in the refrigerated case on the left before you get to the actual seafood counter, usually at the far left on the bottom as you face said case. $25 for four crabcakes.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: January 24, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
I will ask my mom because she and my father make outstanding crabcakes. May be a day or so before she responds.

For what it's worth, if you don't mind trying store-bought crabcakes, the ones from Wegmans—at least the Wegmans on Telegraph Road, anyway—are about the best ones we've had, less filler than most others (no bell peppers!) and no breading. They're in the same aisle as the seafood counter in the refrigerated case on the left before you get to the actual seafood counter, usually at the far left on the bottom as you face said case. $25 for four crabcakes.

Why does anyone, ever, think it a good idea to ruin an otherwise perfectly serviceable crabcake by the introduction of peppers?    :doh:   :rant:

I am at the point now where I ask the question in a restaurant, they are so expensive that I don't want the experience ruined.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #40: January 24, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Why does anyone, ever, think it a good idea to ruin an otherwise perfectly serviceable crabcake by the introduction of peppers?    :doh:   :rant:

I am at the point now where I ask the question in a restaurant, they are so expensive that I don't want the experience ruined.

Heh. [begin rant] If I see "Maryland-style crabcakes" on a restaurant's menu, I'll almost never order them because I assume they will be utterly inauthentic and based on an outsider's notion of what a crabcake is. I almost think the term "Maryland-style" is something restaurant owners think is expected, such that if they don't put it on there people will question their product and won't order it.

It's sort of like "Philly cheesesteak." There's no such thing as a "Philly cheesesteak" because there is no other type of cheesesteak (other than abominations that attempt to mimic the real thing but almost always fail miserably). It's redundant to say "Philly cheesesteak," sort of like saying "wet water." There's no such thing as a "Chicago cheesesteak" or "San Diego cheesesteak," for example. Yet places feel the need to throw in "Philly" on their menus.  [end rant]

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #41: January 24, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »

My mom just replied as follows (copied and pasted except, of course, for the quote tags):

Crab cakes:
2 lbs of crab meat.  Use either 1 lb. of backfin and 1 lb. of jumbo lump or use 2 lbs. of jumbo lump.
I pkg. of Old Bay crab cake classic mix
1/2 cup mayonnaise

Clean crab meat to get rid of any shell
Mix crab cake classic and mayonnaise
Add crab meat

Fry in a little butter.  Turn when golden brown.

I don’t follow the proportions on the package.  It’s too much mayonnaise and mix.

This makes about 8 or 9 crab cakes.

They fry them on an All-Clad griddle. I notice she does not specify the level to which they set the burners, but my experience with store-bought crabcakes suggests it's better to start with a lower setting and turn it up gradually.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #42: February 06, 2018, 08:17:03 PM »
I made this recipe with chicken tonight instead of pork and it was great !

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #43: February 21, 2018, 07:36:51 PM »
Question for the hive mind:

I have a large (14 or 15 pound) whole prime brisket in the fridge (unfrozen, in plastic vacuum wrap).  Buddy's number came up on 12 Feb according the the label.

I have heard that brisket really needs 30+ days of wet aging before being smoked.  We had been planning on brining it starting tonight and then smoking (charcoal smoker, ~12 hours) on Friday. 

So: does the brining/injecting offset the lack time hanging out in the fridge, or do I really need to cool my jets and wait until March?  From what I understand, the enzyme activity that makes the flat edible is very much a function of time.  Smoking was to happen on Friday, so ~36 hour brine, maybe separating off the point and doing that sous vide beforehand. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #44: March 06, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
I recently bought a whole "rockfish" from an ethnic grocery store in Fairfax County. I put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes and when I took it off the flesh on the outside of the fish was white and flaky and I enjoyed some of it. Then I noticed that the flesh around the backbone was pinkish and didn't flake off - it was undercooked.

How worried should I be about parasites etc?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: March 06, 2018, 10:16:42 PM »
I recently bought a whole "rockfish" from an ethnic grocery store in Fairfax County. I put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes and when I took it off the flesh on the outside of the fish was white and flaky and I enjoyed some of it. Then I noticed that the flesh around the backbone was pinkish and didn't flake off - it was undercooked.

Not much. Pasteurization occurs in fish at an internal temp 145 degree in 15 seconds. So you are fine. Also freezing at -35 degrees F (commercial freezing) will kill all parasites in 15 hours. Freezing at -4 degrees F takes 7 days.

I found this in multiple sources, but here is a good one.

https://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/printpdf/seafood-safety/general-information-patients-and-consumers/seafood-safety-topics/parasites

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #46: March 07, 2018, 07:31:20 AM »
Consider also how many people eat raw and undercooked fish with no ill effects (sushi and such).

Offline blue911

« Reply #47: March 07, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »

That sounds like collagen.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: March 07, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
Consider also how many people eat raw and undercooked fish with no ill effects (sushi and such).

I completely agree with you. But there is a difference between sushi and fish not designed to be eaten raw. Most sushi grade fish sold in the US is flash frozen at -35 degrees for 15 hours to kill parasites. If you are eating at a reputable restaurant the chance of getting something is near zero. If you pick up a random fish from a shady source, then the chances go up, but still aren’t high. On top of that, even if you eat a parasite, it likely won’t survive your harsh stomach and will just get digested.
So yeah. It’s extremely unlikely.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #49: March 07, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »
Can someone check on the Count?

Count?