Author Topic: Welcome Matt Adams /Fire Matt Adams /Extend Matt Adams  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Monarch

More Matt Adams smoke:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Nationals are in "serious discussions" with free agent Matt Adams.

Adams fits the Nationals' desire for a left-handed bench bat and backup first baseman -- very much in the Adam Lind mold. The 29-year-old batted .274/.319/.522 with 20 home runs and 65 RBI in 131 games this past season between the Braves and Cardinals and he especially excelled against right-handed pitching. It sounds like this could come together pretty quickly.

Offline UMDNats

Re: Re: 2017-2018 Off-season Discussion Thread
« Reply #1: December 20, 2017, 03:00:43 PM »
Adams would be great. Insurance if Zimm gets hurt, too.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #2: December 20, 2017, 03:11:37 PM »
I would love it if he came here. Been on the Matt Adams bandwagon since Lind was not offered.  I get the sense they are not gonna offer Kendrick since Martinez took #4.  It would seem that we still need a RH bench bat.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: December 20, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
Adams would be great. Insurance if Zimm gets hurt, too.

I would love it if he came here. Been on the Matt Adams bandwagon since Lind was not offered.  I get the sense they are not gonna offer Kendrick since Martinez took #4.  It would seem that we still need a RH bench bat.

Sounds like it is a done deal or very very close, 1 year $4m

Offline Expos

« Reply #4: December 20, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
Very nice signing. I liked Lind but looks like he wanted to get a longer term deal.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #5: December 20, 2017, 04:32:51 PM »
Adams is a GREAT platoon guy for Zimmerman.  Obviously not a strict platoon, but he mashes righties and can give Zimmerman a nice breather against them in situations like a day game after a night game, after a long road trip, or just when Zim is a little tired and cranky.

« Reply #6: December 20, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »
We got Adams for 4 mill plus maybe 500K in incentives, so a smidge cheaper than Lind but he's 5 years younger. 

That was the real missing link to the bench picture. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: December 20, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Not sure why Adams wouldn't want to start, but okay

« Reply #8: December 20, 2017, 04:41:16 PM »
Not sure why Adams wouldn't want to start, but okay

Want and reality are 2 different things.  He can't hit lefites and he's not a great 1B defensively.  He's a platoon option for any team and that's it. 

Adams has a career OPS of .828 vs RHP and .593 vs LHP.

Offline Optics

Would be a good signing. Lind 2.0.

Offline Expos

C- Matt Weiters / Pedro Severino
1B- Ryan Zimmerman / Matt Adams
2B- Daniel Murphy / Wilmer Difo
3B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Trae Turner
LF- Adam Eaton / Brian Goodwin
CF- Michael Taylor
RF- Bryce Harper

1- Stephen Strasburg
2- Max Scherzer
3- Gio Gonzalez
4- Tanner Roark

Closer- Sean Doolittle
Setup- Brandon Kintzler
Setup- Ryan Madsen
Enny Romero
Sammy Solis
Koda Glover (If he is healthy)
Shawn Kelly (See above)
Matt Grace 

Add a 3rd pitcher via trade and an OF bat and I think we are set. An upgrade at C would be ideal (Realmuto) but Im not sure thats feasable.

That is a very nice looking lineup. All they need to do is put it together when it matters.

Offline tswphoto

• Sitting out the wave.
Is one year of Adams at $4m better than one year of Lind at $5m? 

Offline UMDNats

Is one year of Adams at $4m better than one year of Lind at $5m? 

adams more likely to be good in 2018 than lind IMO

Online Slateman

Want and reality are 2 different things.  He can't hit lefites and he's not a great 1B defensively.  He's a platoon option for any team and that's it. 

Reality: No one gives a crap about defense at first base
Reality: There are five teams (and 10 other first baseman) that got a better production against RHP at first base than Matt Adams.

So Matt Adams is the majority portion of a very good first base platoon. In fact, if he's on this team, then he's a better option against RHP than the incumbent.

Online Slateman

adams more likely to be good in 2018 than lind IMO
But we have no idea how he will do as a bench bat, getting a handful of ABs a week.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Have I mentioned he's from the western part of PA and attended Slippery Rock University?

Online Slateman

Have I mentioned he's from the western part of PA and attended Slippery Rock University?
Can you get a degree in Watching Your Step? :lol:

Offline UMDNats

But we have no idea how he will do as a bench bat, getting a handful of ABs a week.

I envision more days off for Zimm this year, not to mention the likelihood of him getting hurt.

Online Slateman

I envision more days off for Zimm this year, not to mention the likelihood of him getting hurt.
Hurt, yes? But given how often that happens, I would give him very few days off until the injury happens.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Not sure, but certain you were gonna...  ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
well, irony of irony, both DRS and UZR seem to like him.
https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=500&type=1&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=25,d

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/one-weird-thing-about-matt-adams/
Hosmer has a very good defensive reputation. He’s won four Gold Gloves, and he has a 57 overall rating in the historical Fan Scouting Reports. Since 2011, 39 different players have played at least 2,500 innings at first base. Hosmer’s rating is tied for fifth-best, with Anthony Rizzo and Mark Teixeira.

Adams does not have a very good defensive reputation. He was briefly tried in the outfield, but the less said about that, the better. He’s never won a Gold Glove, and he has a 37 overall rating in the historical Fan Scouting Reports. That rating is tied for 27th-best, or 12th-worst. The fans think that Adams has been below average. He definitely lacks Hosmer’s general athleticism.

And yet! If you sort by DRS over a common denominator, Adams ranks eighth, and Hosmer ranks 30th. If you sort by UZR over a common denominator, Adams ranks 10th, and Hosmer ranks 33rd. If you blend the two, then Adams ranks 10th, and Hosmer ranks 32nd. According to the advanced defensive numbers, there’s a significant difference between Matt Adams and Eric Hosmer, in Adams’ favor. He rates as the better defensive first baseman. Against what I assume would be all odds.

Online Natsinpwc

Glad we got "Fat Adams" to replace "Fat Albers".  Sort of.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
So Matt Adams could cost us about 500k less than keeping Lind. Interesting.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Good signing. Would prefer they use Murphy as backup first baseman with Difo getting as many plate appearances as possible but that leaves us one injury from hazing zero infield bench.