Author Topic: Welcome Matt Adams /Fire Matt Adams /Extend Matt Adams  (Read 1747 times)

Online bluestreak

That's right.  Let us bench our best hitter in the playoffs.  Strange system of rewards.  Weiters would never get a day off based on that system.

And Taylor is a guy you want in at the End of games for his glove.

Online Ray D

Adams. Taylor can ride the pine until we bring in the pen.
Let me see if I've got this straight.  Adams would be our regular left fielder, at least against righthanders.  What a disaster that's going to be in left field.

Online Slateman

That's right.  Let us bench our best hitter in the playoffs.  Strange system of rewards.  Weiters would never get a day off based on that system.
Does anyone really think that MAT can hit like that again? Pretty sure the league will figure out that if they simply throw him high fastballs, he'll chase

Iirc, Adams is streaky. He was good at first in Atlanta and then fell off a cliff.

.296/.345/.519    in Sept/Oct .... interest cliff you got there. Think we can get the rest of our guys to fall off that cliff?

Offline Natsinpwc

Does anyone really think that MAT can hit like that again? Pretty sure the league will figure out that if they simply throw him high fastballs, he'll chase

.296/.345/.519    in Sept/Oct .... interest cliff you got there. Think we can get the rest of our guys to fall off that cliff?
More likely that RZ will have a major fall off or injury and he will be busy at 1B.

Online Slateman

More likely that RZ will have a major fall off or injury and he will be busy at 1B.
We know that unless he's injured, Zimmerman is playing first. Even if he can't hit his weight.

Difo hit .310/.348/.500 against LHP. There's your platoon in LF.

Offline sph274

This is probably a question for another thread, but what do we do if Brian Goodwin actually broke out last year? If he is a good OF who can give us an OPS around .820? Try and pull another Souza deal?

That trade was a work of genius. Rizzo doesnt get everything right, but some of the moves he makes are just brilliant

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
This is probably a question for another thread, but what do we do if Brian Goodwin actually broke out last year? If he is a good OF who can give us an OPS around .820? Try and pull another Souza deal?

That trade was a work of genius. Rizzo doesnt get everything right, but some of the moves he makes are just brilliant
He's a nice piece to have around in case it is Taylor that returns to Earth.  I could see him as  a nice complementary piece to Robles and Taylor in 2019 if Harper were gone and we went with Eaton Taylor Robles. 

To tie it back into Adams, I'm guessing he and Adams gives us two nice bench bats against righties, Difo is a switch hitter, and then Mystery Man is the righty hitting outfielder we pick up or who  makes the team on a spring training invite. 

I think we certainly, at least at some point, will try and test the trade market for either Goodwin or Taylor.  With Robles eventually needing room cleared for him, even if Harper walks after this year, there is only room for Taylor or Goodwin to join Eaton and Robles in 2019 in the OF.  Depth is nice to have in case of injury, but if a team values MAT or Goodwin as a starting piece for them, we might be able to help improve the roster in a more pressing area than OF depth. 

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
I think we're getting a bit carried away on Goodwin.  He's a 4th OF type, not an everyday starter.  .251 / .313 last year,  and his stat line wasn't all that better at Syracuse (he hit .280 in 2016, but was a low .200s hitter before then.)  Souza was a better prospect who absolutely mashed in his last year at Syracuse.  (.350 .432   .590).  If we trade Goodwin it's going to be a for a mid-level prospect.    The ideal scenario for us is that Taylor repeats his 2017, while Robles mashes at Syracuse, and we can move Taylor for help where we need it.

Of course, trading Soto and a package for Realmuto would negate the need for any big moves in the regular season.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
I think we're getting a bit carried away on Goodwin.  He's a 4th OF type, not an everyday starter.  .251 / .313 last year,  and his stat line wasn't all that better at Syracuse (he hit .280 in 2016, but was a low .200s hitter before then.)  Souza was a better prospect who absolutely mashed in his last year at Syracuse.  (.350 .432   .590).  If we trade Goodwin it's going to be a for a mid-level prospect.    The ideal scenario for us is that Taylor repeats his 2017, while Robles mashes at Syracuse, and we can move Taylor for help where we need it.

Of course, trading Soto and a package for Realmuto would negate the need for any big moves in the regular season.

We need quality starting pitchers...

Online bluestreak

If Taylor has a repeat of 2017 for an entire season, then we can assume his improvement is real. At that point, do you really want to trade him? You’d get more Value trading Robles at that point and you’d have a very good centerfielder for years.
You’d get a LOT for Robles. And I’m not sure the two wins per year you’d get over a 2017 like Taylor is worth it. Unless we are assuming Robles is going to be a 7 or 8 win player.

If Taylor has a repeat of 2017 for an entire season, then we can assume his improvement is real. At that point, do you really want to trade him? You’d get more Value trading Robles at that point and you’d have a very good centerfielder for years.
You’d get a LOT for Robles. And I’m not sure the two wins per year you’d get over a 2017 like Taylor is worth it. Unless we are assuming Robles is going to be a 7 or 8 win player.

Robles has 6 years of control, 3 before he hits arbitration.  He's going to basically make the minimum through 2020.  Taylor will hit free agency in a couple of years, and if he continues this breakout, he'll be expensive to retain.  You'd have to get a HAUL to justify trading Robles.

Online Slateman

If we trade Goodwin, it's going to be for a bench player or a middle reliever, unless he's a throw in for a big package.

Not really.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
Is he gone yet?

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Thankfully no.

I clicked on this thread just to see who remembered it was out there.

Adams is a W. PA guy (barely)    ....   went to Slippery Rock.

Offline Natsinpwc

I clicked on this thread just to see who remembered it was out there.

Adams is a W. PA guy (barely)    ....   went to Slippery Rock.
Can't beat the slippery rock.

Offline Expos

Our starters are the least of our problems.

We need at least 3 bullpen arms.