Author Topic: Welcome Matt Adams /Fire Matt Adams /Extend Matt Adams  (Read 1956 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Bench Adams from the bench!

Just wanted to be the first to say that

Offline Minty Fresh

• Oh you call what you got a team?
This is the best thread title ever.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
He’s got to be first on the list when we need a position player to pitch.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
So Matt Adams could cost us about 500k less than keeping Lind. Interesting.
not really. We paid Lind $500K for not picking up the $5MM option.  It is really a wash.  I think the Lind thing was a mutual option and, had we picked it up, Lind would have declined.  It is ridiculous how similar those two are offensively.  It's just Adams is 5 years younger and better defensively at 1st, if you like DRS/UZR. 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Reality: No one gives a crap about defense at first base
Reality: There are five teams (and 10 other first baseman) that got a better production against RHP at first base than Matt Adams.

So Matt Adams is the majority portion of a very good first base platoon. In fact, if he's on this team, then he's a better option against RHP than the incumbent.

So where were all his offers to be a (against righties at least) starting 1B?  Apparently nobody was interested in him as their majority starter in a platoon split. 

I envision more days off for Zimm this year, not to mention the likelihood of him getting hurt.

I think Zim and Murphy both will get a little more time off than we saw last year.  Difo is plenty good enough to not force Murphy out there all the time.  Adams giving Zim a breather against the occassional RHP is not a dropoff either.  In fact, he may hit them better. 

Offline imref

not really. We paid Lind $500K for not picking up the $5MM option.  It is really a wash.  I think the Lind thing was a mutual option and, had we picked it up, Lind would have declined.  It is ridiculous how similar those two are offensively.  It's just Adams is 5 years younger and better defensively at 1st, if you like DRS/UZR. 

True, but Lind could play in LF.  Adams in LF would be interesting.

Online Ray D

True, but Lind could play in LF. 

That's a matter of some debate.

Offline Count Walewski

Best offseason move so far IMO

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong

Adams played LF this past season

Online Natsinpwc

Adams played LF this past season
The Miller Lite helped him make the transition. If only he could hit like the Bull.

Offline LoveAngelos

The Miller Lite helped him make the transition. If only he could hit like the Bull.

Something tells me the sensitivities of the  modern overly and terminally sensitive would be offended by the end of that commercial......Dare I ask without offending some bovine interest group or another but where is the Bull today?????

Online Natsinpwc

Something tells me the sensitivities of the  modern overly and terminally sensitive would be offended by the end of that commercial......Dare I ask without offending some bovine interest group or another but where is the Bull today?????
He runs Bull's BBQ at Citizens Bank Park after a stint coaching high school baseball. Apparently lives in Florida.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Luzinski

Offline Smithian

• Team America 2018

Matt Adams played some left field last year. Same way Lind did. Get his bat in there, pray he doesn't have many balls hit his ways, and find a good time in the last half of the game to get a defensive sub out there.

Matt Adams played some left field last year. Same way Lind did. Get his bat in there, pray he doesn't have many balls hit his ways, and find a good time in the last half of the game to get a defensive sub out there.

Unless one of our starting OFs is hurt AND Goodwin is hurt, I can't see ever playing Adams in LF.  Goodwin is a good enough bat that it's not worth the defensive trade off to play Adams if Goodwin is available.

Offline Smithian

• Team America 2018
Unless one of our starting OFs is hurt AND Goodwin is hurt, I can't see ever playing Adams in LF.  Goodwin is a good enough bat that it's not worth the defensive trade off to play Adams if Goodwin is available.
And Lind only played left field because we had injuries to Harper, Werth, Eaton, Goodwin, Heisey, and Raburn. Then replacements like Stevenson and Bautista couldn't hit enough and Difo had to shift back to infield to cover for Turner injury.

We're stacked in the outfield. If Matt Adams ever plays an inning out there, it means something has gone wrong to the level of 2017 again.

And Lind only played left field because we had injuries to Harper, Werth, Eaton, Goodwin, Heisey, and Raburn. Then replacements like Stevenson and Bautista couldn't hit enough and Difo had to shift back to infield to cover for Turner injury.

We're stacked in the outfield. If Matt Adams ever plays an inning out there, it means something has gone wrong to the level of 2017 again.

Exactly.

Online Ray D

If Matt Adams ever plays an inning out there, it means something has gone wrong to the level of 2017 again.

Oh I don't know. I could imagine some double-switch situation.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
Oh I don't know. I could imagine some double-switch situation.
Or, you know, actually wanting a .295/.342/.554 bat against RHP

Online Ray D

Or, you know, actually wanting a .295/.342/.554 bat against RHP
He isn't going to displace Eaton in left (who also hits righthanders well, and can field the position).

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
He isn't going to displace Eaton in left (who also hits righthanders well, and can field the position).
Eaton moves to CF.

Online Ray D

Who's in left?   (Don't tell me Harper.  Or if so, who's in right?)   What happens to Taylor?

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
Who's in left?   (Don't tell me Harper.  Or if so, who's in right?)   What happens to Taylor?
Adams. Taylor can ride the pine until we bring in the pen.

Online Natsinpwc

Adams. Taylor can ride the pine until we bring in the pen.
That's right.  Let us bench our best hitter in the playoffs.  Strange system of rewards.  Weiters would never get a day off based on that system.

Offline imref

Iirc, Adams is streaky. He was good at first in Atlanta and then fell off a cliff.