Author Topic: Jeter holds town hall for Marlins SPH and Hilarity Ensues  (Read 3646 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
In the meantime, Marlins total announced home attendance for 2018 was 811,104 (10,013/fixture)...first MLB club to fail to hit the million mark since the 2004 Expos.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
In the meantime, Marlins total announced home attendance for 2018 was 811,104 (10,013/fixture)...first MLB club to fail to hit the million mark since the 2004 Expos.

Replace the statue with a free beer stand and attendance might improve.

Offline DPMOmaha

It fit the ballpark, which itself is hideous.
I think without the statue, the ballpark would be fine.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
That part of Miami (well, really all of Miami, but that part in particular) is where tasteful understatement goes to die.  Might as well paint that sculpture gold and cover it with sparkles.  Wrap it in neon tubes and have it belch clouds of purple Bollywood dust. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

Yeah, hideous isn't how I would describe that park.  I wouldn't call it good, either, but it strikes me as surprisingly bland (aside from the statue) for such an expensive park located in Miami.  That's why the statue is so important to that team's joke of an identity.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

have you been there?  It feels like watching a game inside of a shopping mall.

• pissy DC sports fan
That doesn't equate to "hideous."  That just furthers my belief that it looks bland and soulless.

Offline HalfSmokes

It’s generic in a city that tries to be anything but in a sport full of quirky parks

• babble on
It is like a bland corporate training powerpoint slide deck with an LSD hallucination on slide 36.

Offline DPMOmaha

have you been there?  It feels like watching a game inside of a shopping mall.
Only seen it on TV. Any empty stadium will feel like that, though.
It’s generic in a city that tries to be anything but in a sport full of quirky parks
Again, only seen it on TV, but I wouldn't call it generic, either. I'm not sure I'd call it well executed, but I wouldn't call it generic.

Also, when I've watched games where they've had the roof open, or just seen pictures of it, it actually makes it feel a lot better. They need to do that more often.

• pissy DC sports fan
Again, only seen it on TV, but I wouldn't call it generic, either. I'm not sure I'd call it well executed, but I wouldn't call it generic.

How is it not?  Aside from the home run monstrosity, it's the exact definition of a generic stadium with a roof.  Plain blue seats, plain green padded walls all around the playing field, a plain glass wall in the outfield, plain, light grey concrete columns holding up everything.  No real distinguishing features besides the awful statue.  It's as if its developers said, "let's just take a couple of base elements from Washington, Milwaukee, and Houston and add nothing to them except a weird tribute to Lisa Frank in center field.  Perfect!"

Offline DPMOmaha

How is it not?  Aside from the home run monstrosity, it's the exact definition of a generic stadium with a roof.  Plain blue seats, plain green padded walls all around the playing field, a plain glass wall in the outfield, plain, light grey concrete columns holding up everything.  No real distinguishing features besides the awful statue.  It's as if its developers said, "let's just take a couple of base elements from Washington, Milwaukee, and Houston and add nothing to them except a weird tribute to Lisa Frank in center field.  Perfect!"
Eh, they have enough unique things there that it stands out a fair bit to me. Maybe I'll feel it different when I see it without the statue.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Vast swaths of perpetually empty seats will ruin any stadium décor (or, in the case of grounds like those of the Marlins and Redskins, make a bad situation worse).

Offline Copecwby20

Some of y’all really know how to take a Marlin’s bash party and turn it into a geeked out competition about who got laid the least in college.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
turn it into a geeked out competition about who got laid the least in college.

Did you peak in college?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Some of y’all really know how to take a Marlin’s bash party and turn it into a geeked out competition about who got laid the least in college.

Finally, a competition in which I can compete.

Offline Natsinpwc

Finally, a competition in which I can compete.
I blame living at home and commuting to school.  :rofl:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I blame living at home and commuting to school.  :rofl:

I blamed that too, but I've come to realize I'm just not that appealing.

Offline Natsinpwc

I blamed that too, but I've come to realize I'm just not that appealing.
Ok. I’m blaming my parents. Nature or nurture. Either way.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
This is a fair point.  Where the heck is the mod to break off this bs from the thread on marlin bashing?  Oh . . . :couch:

Offline Nick the Pig

There needs to be an official decree from MLB that Florida is for spring training only...

Relocate the Marlins and Rays to Charlotte and Las Vegas or something.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

New logo for the Marlins:

https://deadspin.com/the-marlins-have-a-new-logo-and-new-uniforms-again-1830486961

One interesting thing I noticed in the article is that the lime green fences at Marlins Park are now a thing of the past, just like the home run sculpture. They'll now be a light blue to match one of their alternate jerseys.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
New logo for the Marlins:

(Image removed from quote.)

https://deadspin.com/the-marlins-have-a-new-logo-and-new-uniforms-again-1830486961

One interesting thing I noticed in the article is that the lime green fences at Marlins Park are now a thing of the past, just like the home run sculpture. They'll now be a light blue to match one of their alternate jerseys.

Getting rid of the garish green is a definite improvement, as are the uni's. 

• babble on
Improvement, yes, but coming from what might as well have been a Juggalo's home tattoo the bar was set pretty low.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Improvement, yes, but coming from what might as well have been a Juggalo's home tattoo the bar was set pretty low.

Another term I had to google...   :thumbs: