Author Topic: Jeter holds town hall for Marlins SPH and Hilarity Ensues  (Read 3650 times)

Offline dcpatti

Video was not allowed, but reporter Will Manso’s twitter is a crazy popsicle of Jeter’s attempts to reassure fans that he has a plan swirled with Marlins Man being absolutely batcrap crazy. 200long-term SPH were invited to ask questions, and emotions were high. Some not-so-crazy stuff aka Jeter’s side of things:

-Jeter Et al don’t think they can build a solid team without a good farm, hence the tear down
-The Yankees lowballed the Fish for Stanton because they knew about the no-trade clause and the Marlins needed to get out from under that salary
-Stanton is an injury risk, which is reflected in that price tag too
-Lots of expected stuff like a commitment to the Latinx community

And now for the batcrap crazy Marlins Man craziness:

He starts his question by asking Jeter: “Do you know who I am?”

He suggests a “Marlins Man Monday’s” promo and wants to throw out the first pitch
https://twitter.com/willmanso/status/943278820169273344

He invites Jeter for a ride in his Special Marlins Man Car (Marlins Man Mobile?!) which Jeter unequivocally declines
https://twitter.com/WillManso/status/943302400047271936?s=17

Get the popcorn and go through the twitter feed. It’s crazy. And apparently Marlins Man is not renewing his season tickets. So he is now just Man, I guess. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/WillManso

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Some people are just too full of themselves

Offline dcpatti

Video of Marlins Man speech https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155301051344397&id=681349396

He  seriously thinks he’s been “promoting the Marlins brand” when he goes to Away games.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
they were talking about this on MLB on XM this morning.  Phillips explained in detail how the league requires teams to maintain debt/spending ratios, and the Marlins were nowhere close to being in compliance.  He argued that they basically had no choice but to reduce salary and blamed their issues on Loria. 

Offline HalfSmokes

they were talking about this on MLB on XM this morning.  Phillips explained in detail how the league requires teams to maintain debt/spending ratios, and the Marlins were nowhere close to being in compliance.  He argued that they basically had no choice but to reduce salary and blamed their issues on Loria. 

To me it’s like someone buying a house they can’t afford then complaining they have no money to fix a leaky roof.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
To me it’s like someone buying a house they can’t afford then complaining they have no money to fix a leaky roof.

Contraction.  It needs to happen.

And people are complaining that the MLS is a Ponzi scheme . . .     ;)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

If I were Jeter I am blaming everything on Loria (even the stuff that isn’t his fault), until he no longer is a plausible scapegoat, which given how he behaved, is the foreseeable future.

Offline dcpatti

I would imagine that the Jeter group walked into the purchase being fully aware of the debt/spending ratio and the need for the fire sale. They bought the house fully aware that the roof leaked, and planned on fixing the roof by selling off all the furniture, and now it turns out there are some relatives of the previous owner who have a huge emotional attachment to that furniture. Which won't stop them from selling everything that isn't nailed down; it just makes it messier.

The facebook video makes me dislike Marlins Man even more than I had before. This article doesn't help his cause either https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/13/15962152/marlins-man-laurence-leavy-all-star-game-miami-who-is-he-really

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Realmuto please. Pretty please.

Offline UMDNats

oh man, this was such a glorious train wreck to follow.

usually, marlins man is the guy i'd consider the biggest douche in this situation, but Jeets really comes across terribly.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
From thread title: 'Jeter holds town hall for Marlins SPH ...'
---
...the Marlins have season plan holders? I never realised they had fans.

Offline Mathguy

BS - you have been living in the DC area too long

If I were Jeter I am blaming everything on Loria (even the stuff that isn’t his fault), until he no longer is a plausible scapegoat, which given how he behaved, is the foreseeable future.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Apparently the session overall was less than a success: http://www.yahoo.com/sports/derek-jeter-met-marlins-season-ticket-holders-disaster-040141274.html

The situation reminds me of when the Athletics moved from Philadelphia to Kansas City with effect from the 1955 season...their first owner in KC was Arnold Johnson, a longtime business partner of the then-current Yankees ownership. Over the next five years the A's and the Yankees pulled off 10 player trades, in which the Yankees stashed prospects (among them Roger Maris) until they deemed them ready for prime time and re-acquired them. It was basically a matter of having a farm club within the major leagues...could history be repeating itself now that Giancarlo Stanozolol is a Yankee?

Offline Mathguy

Chelsea - the dynamics in MLB is completely different today from mid-fifties.  There is much more competition & parity among teams.  So I don't see Jeter doing the NYY any favors.

Offline Natsinpwc

Chelsea - the dynamics in MLB is completely different today from mid-fifties.  There is much more competition & parity among teams.  So I don't see Jeter doing the NYY any favors.
He already did one big one. Don't be surprised if there are more. MLB should have stopped the Stanton trade. The NBA has done that before. It just looks real bad. Manfred looks weak.

Offline Count Walewski

Jeter got great offers for Stanton which had to be torn up when Stanton decided that Saint Louis and San Francisco were not good enough for him.

Offline dcpatti

Jeter got great offers for Stanton which had to be torn up when Stanton decided that Saint Louis and San Francisco were not good enough for him.

Can't really blame a power hitter for not wanting to go to one of the few parks less hitter-friendly than the one he was leaving, or to a crappy town like St Louis.  It's not *his* fault that Loria Inc agreed to a full no-trade clause.

Offline RiotAct

Video of Marlins Man speech https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155301051344397&id=681349396

He  seriously thinks he’s been “promoting the Marlins brand” when he goes to Away games.
He’s probably driving potential fans AWAY from the Marlins

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
https://nypost.com/2017/12/21/fred-wilpon-irate-about-yankees-getting-giancarlo-stanton/

Mets ownership chimes in

Maybe he should concentrate on winning his division instead of nagging about the richest AL team in the country.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Jeter got his wish: the home run “sculpture” is being moved outside the stadium.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article220118635.html?__twitter_impression=true

Offline Nick the Pig

Jeter got his wish: the home run “sculpture” is being moved outside the stadium.

Hopefully like 10 miles off the coast in deep water where it belongs...

Offline DPMOmaha

In a strange way, I'm gonna miss that monstrosity.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
In a strange way, I'm gonna miss that monstrosity.

Yeah, it was hideous, and for that reason, it truly fit the Marlins and their identity.  It added to the general theme of Marlins Park being baseball purgatory.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Yeah, it was hideous, and for that reason, it truly fit the Marlins and their identity.  It added to the general theme of Marlins Park being baseball purgatory.

It fit the ballpark, which itself is hideous.