Author Topic: Home Team discount?  (Read 4104 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Home Team discount?
« Topic Start: December 10, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
I read a story which question whether Harper would give the Nationals a home team discount when he's a free agent.

What exactly is a hometown discount? The Nationals are not Harper's home team since he is from Las Vegas. Does it mean he will agree not to demand so much money the team will be gutted because it has little money left available to sign other good players?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Home Team discount?
« Reply #1: December 10, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »
I read a story which question whether Harper would give the Nationals a home team discount when he's a free agent.

What exactly is a hometown discount? The Nationals are not Harper's home team since he is from Las Vegas. Does it mean he will agree not to demand so much money the team will be gutted because it has little money left available to sign other good players?

Usually it means he’ll give us a discount because he wants to stay here.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #2: December 11, 2017, 12:40:47 AM »
I always thought the phrase was home towndiscount? Anyway it’s signing with your current team, usually the team that drafted you, for less than another exam offered or extending for less than what was projected in free agency. Strasburg gave the Nats a home town discount.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #3: December 11, 2017, 02:25:53 AM »
I always thought the phrase was home towndiscount?

It is.  But that doesn't make any more sense than home team.  DC isn't his home town.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #4: December 11, 2017, 02:35:24 AM »
Does it mean he will agree not to demand so much money the team will be gutted because it has little money left available to sign other good players?
No, it doesn't mean that at all.  The Nationals have a singular advantage that no other team has:  they can extend him, now.  No other team can even negotiate with him.  If he wants long term security now and insurance against a career-ending injury, he would consider an extension.  But I doubt that's what he wants right now. 

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #5: December 11, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Players seem to always roll the dice against security and insurance against injury.... Desmond... Ramos especially I think

I don't get it  since the guaranteed security or insurance usually comes in levels of  "Fort Knox" like income.

Anyway "home town" or "home team" discount doesn't seem to have a reciprocal cousin in "home whatever" bonus from management unless it is in the form of pre contract expiration security and insurance.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #6: December 11, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
He averages missing a bit over 20% of a season; so maybe that's the discount that should be in effect. Seriously, only two of his 6 seasons (139 games and 147 games) were pretty much full seasons' played.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #7: December 11, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »
One home town discount is that he wouldn't have to pay state taxes if he takes residence in Nevada or Florida.  That's a big difference if he plays for one of the California teams.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: December 11, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
We have multiple threads for this...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #9: December 11, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
It is.  But that doesn't make any more sense than home team.  DC isn't his home town.

In the context of his professional career, it is. Washington drafted him. What little time he had in the minors was in Washington's farm system. His professional debut was in Washington. Most fans don't care where he was born or went to high school.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #10: December 11, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
Ask Stephen Strasburg to explain the concept for you.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: December 11, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
In the context of his professional career, it is. Washington drafted him. What little time he had in the minors was in Washington's farm system. His professional debut was in Washington. Most fans don't care where he was born or went to high school.
Fans don't care. But he does.  Fan don't count.  He does.  He doesn't consider DC to be his home town.  That's what counts, we're talking about whether HE will give a "discount". 

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #12: December 11, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »

I would but he never talks

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #13: December 12, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
Before or after he opts out of his contract next year? ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: December 12, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
Before or after he opts out of his contract next year? ;)

to be fair, he may not opt out- there's always a chance that he'll need tommy john again

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #15: December 12, 2017, 10:16:55 AM »
I'd use this emoticon  :hysterical:, but  :(

to be fair, he may not opt out- there's always a chance that he'll need tommy john again

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #16: December 12, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »
He doesn't consider DC to be his home town.  That's what counts, we're talking about whether HE will give a "discount". 

I think we all know his actual hometown is Vegas but what some are saying is that maybe he's adopted DC as his hometown and maybe will give a discount.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #17: December 12, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »
I think we all know his actual hometown is Vegas but what some are saying is that maybe he's adopted DC as his hometown and maybe will give a discount.

The only reason he would is to make sure the team can sign other players to keep the team around him competitive.

My guess is he wants to play in a real baseball town packed with its own passionate home fans every night. DC is not just a mediocre baseball city it is a lousy sports town all around. Cubbies here he comes

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: December 12, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »
Nobody has any idea what Bryce Harper or, maybe  more importantly what his wife wants. The Nats have the advantage now because they are the sole team that can negotiate with him. Anything else is pure speculation. I’d put it at even money he stays because of the above advantage.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #19: December 12, 2017, 07:45:35 PM »

The only reason he would is to make sure the team can sign other players to keep the team around him competitive.

My guess is he wants to play in a real baseball town packed with its own passionate home fans every night. DC is not just a mediocre baseball city it is a lousy sports town all around. Cubbies here he comes

Lol that’s nuts. Wrigley is full of bandwagon fans who leave at the 6th inning if the cubs don’t have a lead, and after the team regresses a bit (because sooner or later, the first becomes the worst; no one stays on top forever), it’ll go back to being full of boozy seniors and college kids ditching class.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #20: December 13, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »
Lol that’s nuts. Wrigley is full of bandwagon fans who leave at the 6th inning if the cubs don’t have a lead, and after the team regresses a bit (because sooner or later, the first becomes the worst; no one stays on top forever), it’ll go back to being full of boozy seniors and college kids ditching class.

My sample size is small but from one series spent in Chicago there seemed to be a noticeable inference in home stadium atmosphere. Sometimes it seems there are as many Cubs, Cardinals, Dodger,Braves, Oriole (from Washington) fans at Nats Park as you'll find in those teams own home stadiums.

If the Cubs fork over the dough Bryce, who has spoken publicly of his agitation with the many come late, leave early, Nats fans; will be in Chicago

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #21: December 13, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
My sample size is small but from one series spent in Chicago there seemed to be a noticeable inference in home stadium atmosphere. Sometimes it seems there are as many Cubs, Cardinals, Dodger,Braves, Oriole (from Washington) fans at Nats Park as you'll find in those teams own home stadiums.

If the Cubs fork over the dough Bryce, who has spoken publicly of his agitation with the many come late, leave early, Nats fans; will be in Chicago

Fortunately Bryce has a bigger sample size to work with, then. Fans come late and leave early everywhere. Fans couldn’t get away from Wrigley fast enough starting at the 7th Inning Stretch of NLDS Game 4. Fans leave concerts early, leave church early, and every now and then they try to leave airplanes early.  And it’s only recently that Nats fans have been traveling well; it seemed like there were more Nats fans than Pirates fans in PNC Park in 2016 for “Clinchmas” and a few other notable series around the country but dc will always have a big influx of Away fans because it’s a major tourist destination. Pack the kids up and take em to see the monuments for an education vacation, then take in a ball game while you’re in town. Welcome to living in the nation’s capital!

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #22: December 13, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
Anyone who wants to leave an airplane  early should be allowed. It's  a Darwin thing

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #23: December 13, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
I couldn't agree more. But there is that pesky physics thing that ruins it for the rest of us.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #24: December 13, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »

It's not a lousy sportstown. It's because of fans like you and your attitude why people have this perception. It's not the greatest no, but it's no lousy.