Author Topic: Home Team discount?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Home Team discount?
« Reply #75: December 21, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
I have taken jobs in places where I would make less money because I liked the location or situation better. I’m not sure why a ball player couldn’t consider doing the same.

Yep, it's not always about the money. Most times it is, of course, but not always. And I don't think any of us would begrudge them getting what they can.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #76: December 21, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
To be fair, I don’t think BlueStreak or any of us has had to have proactive IV bags of fluids in anticipation of doing our job standing in the sun for 4 hours on a 97* day in August in full catchers gear,  ended up with spinal fusions in our necks, had a wrist or jaw broken by a fastball, or had whatever the fresh hell happened to Aaron Barrett’s throwing arm during rehab. Yes there’s an element of ego but there’s also a real risk of significant injury, and that warrants a higher pay scale than those of us who sit at a desk and poke around on a keyboard all day.

Yeah, but I've had some vicious paper cuts and had to work in a 66 degree office for several months.   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #77: December 21, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »
One factor that's different is the $$$ scale and the difference between location vs more money.  Another factor is the job isn't 365 days a year.

I have taken jobs in places where I would make less money because I liked the location or situation better. I’m not sure why a ball player couldn’t consider doing the same.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #78: December 21, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
Yeah, but I've had some vicious paper cuts and had to work in a 66 degree office for several months.

thoughts and prayers!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #79: December 21, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
thoughts and prayers!

Appreciate that.  Not to mention putting myself at a higher risk of hemorrhoids when compared to a control group that excludes accountants, within a 96% confidence interval.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #80: December 21, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
MLBPA is also a factor.  The union will squawk a fair bit if you are perceived to be devaluing talent or bringing down the average price for things overall.
I'd love to be an MLB player, if for no other reason than that I could thumb my nose at the MLBPA.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #81: December 21, 2017, 01:08:52 PM »
I'd love to be an MLB player, if for no other reason than that I could thumb my nose at the MLBPA.

Players need to look out for their own good not the good of the union leadership. If a player rejects an extension to go after more money---for the good of the union--- and then suffers a debilitating injury is the union going to be there for that player to make up for what he lost by being a good union soldier????? Maybe our old friend the Buffalo may know

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #82: December 21, 2017, 05:43:17 PM »
To be fair, I don’t think BlueStreak or any of us has had to have proactive IV bags of fluids in anticipation of doing our job standing in the sun for 4 hours on a 97* day in August in full catchers gear,  ended up with spinal fusions in our necks, had a wrist or jaw broken by a fastball, or had whatever the fresh hell happened to Aaron Barrett’s throwing arm during rehab. Yes there’s an element of ego but there’s also a real risk of significant injury, and that warrants a higher pay scale than those of us who sit at a desk and poke around on a keyboard all day.

I know guys who did more than that for $204 a month.     :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #83: December 21, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »

I’m guessing most players appreciate what their union does for them especially compared to other sports unions

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #84: December 21, 2017, 10:05:57 PM »
I know guys who did more than that for $204 a month.     :)

Seriously. Not everyone works in a comfy temp controlled office :smh:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #85: December 21, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »
Seriously. Not everyone works in a comfy temp controlled office :smh:

Hey, sometimes I have to close the blinds it gets so warm with the sun streaming in.  Other times I have had to resort to drinking a cup of (free) hot tea in the afternoon to get warm.  It's not all that comfy as people may think.    :roll:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #86: December 21, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Hey, sometimes I have to close the blinds it gets so warm with the sun streaming in.  Other times I have had to resort to drinking a cup of (free) hot tea in the afternoon to get warm.  It's not all that comfy as people may think.    :roll:

The horror! :lol:

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #87: December 22, 2017, 01:46:12 AM »
if you have any hope of Harp coming back dont look at his instagram stories today with him and his wife playing Charades with Kris Bryant ans his wife. Dude is gone to the Cubs lol.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #88: December 22, 2017, 04:58:44 AM »
Isn't that a slight leap to conclusion ?

if you have any hope of Harp coming back dont look at his instagram stories today with him and his wife playing Charades with Kris Bryant ans his wife. Dude is gone to the Cubs lol.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #89: December 22, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »

Exactly!! Don't let the fact Harper is wearing a Cubs jersey with the number 19 on the back influence your thinking

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #90: December 22, 2017, 08:22:58 AM »

Exactly!! Don't let the fact Harper is wearing a Cubs jersey with the number 19 on the back influence your thinking

or the tattoo of the angel Moroni saying "Bryce, thou shalt go unto the Cubbies and be richly rewarded."

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #91: December 22, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »
Lerners should overpay him and spare us all a year of the media crapshow,  rumor mill, and fan overreactions.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #92: December 22, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
or the tattoo of the angel Moroni saying "Bryce, thou shalt go unto the Cubbies and be richly rewarded."

What got me was when he said that he was visiting BANKS for a loan on a BRICKHOUSE...

Hey, Hey!

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #93: December 23, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
Lerners should overpay him and spare us all a year of the media crapshow,  rumor mill, and fan overreactions.

I have an inkling if the Lerner's today offered him 60 million a year for 10 years ol Boras would be nudging him saying he could get him more in the open market....which would cause the angel Macaroni to suffer a heart attack