Author Topic: Home Team discount?  (Read 4103 times)

Offline LoveAngelos

Re: Home Team discount?
« Reply #25: December 14, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »
Yeah fans like me who buy Nats season tickets
Who had Redskin season tickets for years till Snyder killed my interest

We're the reason the DC arenas are often filled with fans(many of whom are from DC) rooting for the opposing teams,if not, then the stands are filled with empty seats. I really enjoyed sitting in Wrigley Field East during last year's playoffs and that Dodger series in September? Who needs to spend airfare to sit in Chavez Ravine???????????????? O yeah, I will never forget the fun of the home team being booed  unmercilessly opening day 2010

Don't get too close to me if you see me at a sporting event. We fans like me are infectious

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26: December 14, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »
Nats Park was certainly NOT “Wrigley Field East.” There were a couple of pockets of Cubs fans in the lower level, but otherwise it was a sea of red. One of the pockets was on the 3rd base line so it looked worse if you were watching on TV.

And a meaningless regular season series against the Dodgers weeks after the Nats has clinched? Meh.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #27: December 14, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »
Yeah fans like me who buy Nats season tickets
Who had Redskin season tickets for years till Snyder killed my interest

We're the reason the DC arenas are often filled with fans(many of whom are from DC) rooting for the opposing teams,if not, then the stands are filled with empty seats. I really enjoyed sitting in Wrigley Field East during last year's playoffs and that Dodger series in September? Who needs to spend airfare to sit in Chavez Ravine???????????????? O yeah, I will never forget the fun of the home team being booed  unmercilessly opening day 2010

Don't get too close to me if you see me at a sporting event. We fans like me are infectious

Have you ever been anywhere outside of dc? Big groups of Away fans is the norm. Mets fans in Philly, A’s fans at AT&T Park, Astros fans in Arlington, Jays fans at Safeco, Yankees fans at Fenway. This crap happens everywhere. The only place it doesn’t happen is at Dodger Stadium cause no one wants to get their ass beat for wearing the wrong colors. You wanna see an Away team take over a ballpark, try Miller Park when the Cubs come to town.  I genuinely don’t understand the vitriol over something that happens everywhere that sports are played.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: December 14, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
Red Sox in Camden Yards.

Have you ever been anywhere outside of dc? Big groups of Away fans is the norm. Mets fans in Philly, A’s fans at AT&T Park, Astros fans in Arlington, Yankees fans at Fenway. This crap happens everywhere. The only place it doesn’t happen is at Dodger Stadium cause no one wants to get their ass beat for wearing the wrong colors. You wanna see an Away team take over a ballpark, try Miller Park when the Cubs come to town.  I genuinely don’t understand the vitriol over something that happens everywhere that sports are played.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #29: December 14, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
My sample size is small but from one series spent in Chicago there seemed to be a noticeable inference in home stadium atmosphere.

And how did you infer that?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30: December 14, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »
Have you ever been anywhere outside of dc? Big groups of Away fans is the norm. Mets fans in Philly, A’s fans at AT&T Park, Astros fans in Arlington, Jays fans at Safeco, Yankees fans at Fenway. This crap happens everywhere. The only place it doesn’t happen is at Dodger Stadium cause no one wants to get their ass beat for wearing the wrong colors. You wanna see an Away team take over a ballpark, try Miller Park when the Cubs come to town.  I genuinely don’t understand the vitriol over something that happens everywhere that sports are played.

Especially when it’s baseball, a game with 81 home dates. When I first moved from the Midwest the only games I made sure I went to were when the Orioles and Nats played the Tigers. It wasn’t a huge outlay of money because it was only a few games a year. And I was willing to pay more than the average person here because it was one game out of 3 and not one out of 81. So all the fans in the area make sure they can go because it’s the only time they can easily see their team. And it’s like that for every team in the Majors. Every Nats fan doesn’t make sure to make it to every game at Nats Park because of time and money. Is this that difficult to understand?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #31: December 14, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
Especially when it’s baseball, a game with 81 home dates. When I first moved from the Midwest the only games I made sure I went to were when the Orioles and Nats played the Tigers. It wasn’t a huge outlay of money because it was only a few games a year. And I was willing to pay more than the average person here because it was one game out of 3 and not one out of 81. So all the fans in the area make sure they can go because it’s the only time they can easily see their team. And it’s like that for every team in the Majors. Every Nats fan doesn’t make sure to make it to every game at Nats Park because of time and money. Is this that difficult to understand?

Yep, it's that simple, but unfortunately simple people don't understand it. :mg:

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #32: December 14, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
FWIW the Away Fan Factor is one of the reasons that 2017 attendance was down a tick from earlier years.  Mets, Phillies and Braves all sucked, and no one wants to travel to watch their team when their team sucks.

PS before the Bandwagon found its way to Wrigley, I went to a Cards-Cubs game there which drew about 30% Cubs fans, 30% Cards fans and 40% empty seats, so let's not kid ourselves that the Cubs have some kind of super magical fan base who just knows how to Fan better than anyone else. They don't. There's just a lot of cubs fans lately because they've been winning lately. Nothing lasts forever and their ballpark will go back to being a refuge for bartenders and  bored seniors (since those nostalgic early afternoon games are not compatible with fans who have day jobs).

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: December 14, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
Yep, it's that simple, but unfortunately simple people don't understand it. :mg:

I guess you could think of it this way. What would Nats Park look like if they had 4 home dates and played 158 games away. That’s what it’s like with Away fans that live in or near your town.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #34: December 14, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »
The best place to see Nats fans as Away Fans is PNC. Lots of Nats fans make that trip because Pirates fans are polite and the park is kind of awesome. Not a huge crowd of Nats fans, but probably more here than anywhere else.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #35: December 14, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »
FWIW the Away Fan Factor is one of the reasons that 2017 attendance was down a tick from earlier years.  Mets, Phillies and Braves all sucked, and no one wants to travel to watch their team when their team sucks.

PS before the Bandwagon found its way to Wrigley, I went to a Cards-Cubs game there which drew about 30% Cubs fans, 30% Cards fans and 40% empty seats, so let's not kid ourselves that the Cubs have some kind of super magical fan base who just knows how to Fan better than anyone else. They don't. There's just a lot of cubs fans lately because they've been winning lately. Nothing lasts forever and their ballpark will go back to being a refuge for bartenders and  bored seniors (since those nostalgic early afternoon games are not compatible with fans who have day jobs).

Old Cubs fans are numerous and rabid, but you'll see more of them at the corner tavern than you will at Wrigley.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #36: December 14, 2017, 11:24:14 AM »
The best place to see Nats fans as Away Fans is PNC. Lots of Nats fans make that trip because Pirates fans are polite and the park is kind of awesome. Not a huge crowd of Nats fans, but probably more here than anywhere else.

Our last trip there, there were a lot of jerk Pittsburghers.  I had to confront several and involve security.

Cincy was much more civilized...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #37: December 14, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
Guys, why aren't we as good as Cubs fans? They only have a 100-year head start on us!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #38: December 14, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »
Guys, why aren't we as good as Cubs fans? They only have a 100-year head start on us!

Speak for yourself. I don't think -anything- has a 100 year head start on VARK and mitlen.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: December 14, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
Our last trip there, there were a lot of jerk Pittsburghers.  I had to confront several and involve security.

Most of the fans are in diabetic stupors.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #40: December 14, 2017, 11:52:04 AM »
Speak for yourself. I don't think -anything- has a 100 year head start on VARK and mitlen.

:crackup:

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #41: December 14, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
I have attended every Nats home playoff game and other than this past Cubs series the park was solid Nats fans. The Cardinals even with their 121 year history hardly sent a representative but this past Cubs series was embarrassing. The stadium was at least 1/3 Cubbies.....Anyway somebody said I had a simple mind....may be true.....I guess whoever said it thinks they are a pretty complex and deep thinker of thoughts....anyway here is a video captured during my basic training   

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #42: December 14, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »

My first time in Cincy, we sat a few rows behind a fella in a Strasburg jersey. Stras was pitching. 
Then Stras got taken out in maybe the 3rd inning with an injury.
By the 5th inning or so, the Nats were losing.
The fella in the Strasburg jersey left his seat for a few minutes.
When he came back, he was wearing a Votto T-shirt.

That fella sucks.

I have attended every Nats home playoff game and other than this past Cubs series the park was solid Nats fans. The Cardinals even with their 121 year history hardly sent a representative but this past Cubs series was embarrassing. The stadium was at least 1/3 Cubbies.....Anyway somebody said I had a simple mind....may be true.....I guess whoever said it thinks they are a pretty complex and deep thinker of thoughts....anyway here is a video captured during my basic training   .

Hm I don't remember the Cardinals ending a 108-year championship drought the year before meeting us in the playoffs.  Cubs fans travel very well, Cards fans generally do not, but the Cubbie bandwagon is everywhere.  Guess you didn't watch the Dodgers-DBacks series where Chase Field was half Dodger fans (another fan base that travels very well and has a huge nationwide bandwagon) or the Cubs at Dodgers where the park was a third Cubs, or all the Yankees fans in Houston.   If the Nats and Red Sox play in a World Series together, I fully expect a third of Nats Park to be dirty filthy Sox fans.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #43: December 14, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »
If the Nats and Red Sox play in a World Series together, I fully expect a third of Nats Park to be dirty filthy Sox fans JCA-Crystalcity to be wearing a Sox Jersey.

That's more my guess.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #44: December 14, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
I seriously doubt nitpicking the habits of Nats fans becomes any sort of serious factor for Bryce when he makes his decision.  That would seem to be right around the same place in the priority list as how he likes the local cable provider. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #45: December 14, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »
I'm shocked a transplant city has fans from other cities! So weird.

DC doesn't have the ability to keep out opposing fans, the way the city lives and works and operates. Not even the Redskins. Comparing our city/sports fandom to others is the dumbest conversation.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #46: December 14, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
My first time in Cincy, we sat a few rows behind a fella in a Strasburg jersey. Stras was pitching. 
Then Stras got taken out in maybe the 3rd inning with an injury.
By the 5th inning or so, the Nats were losing.
The fella in the Strasburg jersey left his seat for a few minutes.
When he came back, he was wearing a Votto T-shirt.

That fella sucks.

Hm I don't remember the Cardinals ending a 108-year championship drought the year before meeting us in the playoffs.  Cubs fans travel very well, Cards fans generally do not, but the Cubbie bandwagon is everywhere.  Guess you didn't watch the Dodgers-DBacks series where Chase Field was half Dodger fans (another fan base that travels very well and has a huge nationwide bandwagon) or the Cubs at Dodgers where the park was a third Cubs, or all the Yankees fans in Houston.   If the Nats and Red Sox play in a World Series together, I fully expect a third of Nats Park to be dirty filthy Sox fans.

I live in Louisville and sat 2nd row behind the Nats dugout for the game Stras came out early hurt.  It was the 2015 season I believe. 

When people say a fanbase "travels" well, I think largely it's fans of that team that live close to or in that city.  Like me living in Louisville, KY a little over an hour from Cincy.  I always go to the games in Cincy.  There are all sorts of Cubs fans that live here in Louisville, and they go up to games in Cincy as well.  Cubs fans are all over.  So it's not like people from Chicago are traveling all over to watch the Cubs.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #47: December 14, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »
I seriously doubt nitpicking the habits of Nats fans becomes any sort of serious factor for Bryce when he makes his decision.  That would seem to be right around the same place in the priority list as how he likes the local cable provider.

I'm sure Royce has satellite anyway...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: December 14, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »
I'm shocked a transplant city has fans from other cities! So weird.

DC doesn't have the ability to keep out opposing fans, the way the city lives and works and operates. Not even the Redskins. Comparing our city/sports fandom to others is the dumbest conversation.

Most cities without dying economies are full of transplants- nyc, LA, San francisco, Chicago all are loaded with transplants

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #49: December 14, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
Most cities without dying economies are full of transplants- nyc, LA, San francisco, Chicago all are loaded with transplants

Sure. LA, SF stadiums are all full of opposing fans too. NYC is big enough and has the sports history to withstand transplants easily, too. Chicago, same boat.

In DC you can come from Philly/NYC/Boston easily on a weekend to go see your team play. Even a flight from Chicago is very brief and frequent. Want to visit LA to see your east coast team? Your whole week is shot.

DC doesn't align itself with sports the way NYC/Boston/Philly does. DC is a global, political city. It's common sense. NYC is the business center of the world, full of transplants, but most of the areas around the city are NY born and raised and the Yankees have a 100-year connection to the city with tons of winning. They can pack the house easily.

The Nats? Not so much.