Author Topic: As the rotation turns - offseason edition 2017-18  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
Darvish had an ERA over 6. Rich Hill never saw the 6th inning. Yet somehow the Dodgers got to a World Series.

Offline NJ Ave

Darvish had an ERA over 6. Rich Hill never saw the 6th inning. Yet somehow the Dodgers got to a World Series.

It's almost like offense matters and we shouldn't keep blaming our pitchers and managers for postseason failures.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
It's almost like offense matters and we shouldn't keep blaming our pitchers and managers for postseason failures.
There's enough blame to go around. But I think people are giving Gio too much crap for Game 5. The team gave up 6 runs after he left. That's not totally on him.

If you want to go out and get a bonified top end starter to basically replace Scherzer in a year or two, okay. But that seems counter intuitive to going "all in" for next season.

Online Natsinpwc

There's enough blame to go around. But I think people are giving Gio too much crap for Game 5. The team gave up 6 runs after he left. That's not totally on him.

If you want to go out and get a bonified top end starter to basically replace Scherzer in a year or two, okay. But that seems counter intuitive to going "all in" for next season.
If Gio pitched better the other pitchers would not have been in there to give up six runs. If he had stayed in it might have been worse.

Strasburg is always nicked. Sure. Let's go into postseason with just Max and Stras as reliable starters and hope neither is hurt. Roark and Gio should be fine.  I am sure what has not worked the past few years will work this year.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
If Gio pitched better the other pitchers would not have been in there to give up six runs. If he had stayed in it might have been worse.

Strasburg is always nicked. Sure. Let's go into postseason with just Max and Stras as reliable starters and hope neither is hurt. Roark and Gio should be fine.  I am sure what has not worked the past few years will work this year.

Let's be honest, if Strasburg and/or Max are hurt, who are we going to pick up to make up for that?

Online Natsinpwc

Hill and Wood both had postseason ERAs under 3. They didn't need to pitch long because of the Dodgwrs pen. Another starter Maeda who pitched out of the pen had an ERA under 1 postseason. They wore down in the World Series but at least they got there. Don't forget they missed Seager for a series. If you think the Dodgers starting pitching didn't help them you are just deluded.

Online Natsinpwc

Let's be honest, if Strasburg and/or Max are hurt, who are we going to pick up to make up for that?
You don't need to make up for it. Just find someone half decent.

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
Hill and Wood both had postseason ERAs under 3. They didn't need to pitch long because of the Dodgwrs pen. Another starter Maeda who pitched out of the pen had an ERA under 1 postseason. They wore down in the World Series but at least they got there. Don't forget they missed Seager for a series. If you think the Dodgers starting pitching didn't help them you are just deluded.
Our pen was every bit as good as the Dodgers. In fact, at the end of the season, I'd say it was significantly better. The Dodgers rotation wasn't anything special.

Again, I fail to see how getting a Lance Lynn is going to be helpful in the playoffs. Particularly if Strasburg is hurt again.

Online Natsinpwc

Our pen was every bit as good as the Dodgers. In fact, at the end of the season, I'd say it was significantly better. The Dodgers rotation wasn't anything special.

Again, I fail to see how getting a Lance Lynn is going to be helpful in the playoffs. Particularly if Strasburg is hurt again.
The pen was not as good as LA. Look at what some of their guys did including Maeda.

Lynn will help them get through the regular season also. Division is weak but Inevitably pitchers get hurt. I wanted Sonny Gray. They may never recover from not making that trade.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I can see waiting until mid-season if you are concerned about a #3 for the playoffs.  There will be quality pitchers with expiring contracts on non-contenders that you can trade for.  If we are dealing this offseason for another rotation piece, then I think a lefty under more than one season of control would be the target that I'd pay for in prospects or controllable position players.  A transitional player to replace Gio after next year. Bring him in now, pushing Gio and Roark down to #4 and #5, strengthens the team for 2018 as a bonus.

Offline aspenbubba

I can see waiting until mid-season if you are concerned about a #3 for the playoffs.  There will be quality pitchers with expiring contracts on non-contenders that you can trade for.  If we are dealing this offseason for another rotation piece, then I think a lefty under more than one season of control would be the target that I'd pay for in prospects or controllable position players.  A transitional player to replace Gio after next year. Bring him in now, pushing Gio and Roark down to #4 and #5, strengthens the team for 2018 as a bonus.
+1

Online bluestreak

Here we go....

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/940605398519820291

Scott Boras is trying to engage the #Nationals on Jake Arrieta, sources say. The Nats already have $385M invested in Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg. But that hasn’t stopped Boras from making his pitch to Ted Lerner.

And this...

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/940567884178305026

Scott Boras has sent a 75-page Jake Arrieta binder directly to owners. There are indications he’s seeking $200 million for Arrieta. Said one #MLB GM: “Buena suerte.”

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
Here we go....

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/940605398519820291

Scott Boras is trying to engage the #Nationals on Jake Arrieta, sources say. The Nats already have $385M invested in Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg. But that hasn’t stopped Boras from making his pitch to Ted Lerner.

And this...

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/940567884178305026

Scott Boras has sent a 75-page Jake Arrieta binder directly to owners. There are indications he’s seeking $200 million for Arrieta. Said one #MLB GM: “Buena suerte.”
More than happy for Boras to use the Nationals to drive Arrieta's price up.

Offline 3bside

Rizzo should take a flyer on Drew Smyly.  They can give him a cheap contract for 2018 with a option for 2019 if he pitches 80-100 innings.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Why do the Nats "need" a solid 1/2/3? Neither World Series team had a good number 3 pitcher. You could make the argument that Keuchel was pretty meh and the Dodgers didn't anything resembling a good number 2.

The Cubs had relatively decent starting pitching, but he Yankees certainly didn't.

Unless there is an injury, I don't see why they would need to make a move for a top of the rotation starter when they're in a division that, frankly, they should win fairly easily. Unless that deal is for someone who is going to be here long term, I'm not sure why you give up prospects now, when you can hold on to them and get what you need at the deadline (like a closer or a replacement for an injury).

I thought it was pretty much implied that anybody we bring in would be for the long-term and not just a 1 year rental.  Of course you don't give up a huge prospect haul for 1 year of a #3 starter.  You get somebody who can take the mound instead of Gio in Game 3, and you get somebody who will be around and still in their prime as a little insurance for the future as Max ages and Stras is also always a question as far as health. 

Agreed.

More than happy for Boras to use the Nationals to drive Arrieta's price up.

Yep, that's what I think this is as well.  No way we actually seriously push for Arrieta.  If we do, I'll be highly upset.  His best days are over. 

Offline dcpatti

Chelsea Janes is tweeting that the Nats' interest on Arietta is "tepid." 

Online skippy1999

Chelsea Janes is tweeting that the Nats' interest on Arietta is "tepid." 

At 200 mil it should be. 

Offline Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong

Online UMDNats

heyman is a boras guy, it's obvious scott is driving the price up here. i'm sure we're interested, but doubt we're seriously going to drop $200 million on Arrieta.

Offline dcpatti

heyman is a boras guy, it's obvious scott is driving the price up here. i'm sure we're interested, but doubt we're seriously going to drop $200 million on Arrieta.

Plus all the other penalties since the Cubs made Arietta a qualifying offer. Heyman is wrong on this.

Online UMDNats

Plus all the other penalties since the Cubs made Arietta a qualifying offer. Heyman is wrong on this.

he's not wrong, he's doing boras a favor for access.

Offline GburgNatsFan

The Lerners get wood when Boras calls.

The Lerners get wood when Boras calls.

Probably just the opposite since Boras makes ridiculuous money off them.