Author Topic: Looking for manpower on Saturday  (Read 1543 times)

Offline kimnat

Looking for manpower on Saturday
« Topic Start: May 21, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
Hey guys!  We're trying to get a better swingset for our kids.  Our old metal one has rusted badly and is now dangerous for our kids, esp. Andrew.  We found a great wooden one on craiglist but now need to break it down a little, bring it here and reassemble it.  It is currently in South Riding and we're in Fairfax City.  If any of you can help, we would be incredibly indebted and thankful for your help!  BTW, we're looking to do this on Saturday, late morningish.  We're renting a big uhaul to take care of the transit part.

THANK YOU!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
Re: Looking for manpower on Saturday
« Reply #1: May 21, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
oh yeah, i asked matt... but then i forgot its his bday weekend. im working friday and sunday. saturday is my only day off with him!

:-(

Offline kimnat

« Reply #2: May 22, 2007, 08:39:58 AM »
Thanks though!  Happy Birthday Matt!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: May 22, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
Sorry, we're going to be out of town for the long weekend...let me know if it's still kicking around the next weekend... 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: May 22, 2007, 10:26:42 AM »
Thanks Ali!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: May 22, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm sure you've heard of an old fashioned country barn raising, so how about you use that theme to have a "swing raising" party. Invite friends and family members with kids and have a new kind of "raising". With enough people, it will take no time at all, and once you're done, while the kids are enjoying the play area, the larger kids (adults) can gather and enjoy themselves somewhere within eyesight (and earshot).

Your swing will be anchored, yes? I ask, because as kids get older, they start getting bolder and that lack of fear can cause stress on the swing.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: May 22, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »
What a great idea!  I've been putting out pleas here, amongst my Bible study friends, Sunday School class and some neighbors.  So far, everyone's busy.  But Dan's thinking about going out there a couple of nights this week to start breaking it down.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: May 22, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
Hope the timbers aren't sunk in concrete.  We had a neighbor offer his swing to us, and at first we thought it was a great idea, it was super nice.  But when we started looking at moving it in earnest, we learned the posts were sunk at least several feet deep, with concrete poured around each.  This is the right way to build them, but it's a huge effort to get something up like this, and then how do you re-use it?

Hopefully yours is the type that does not sink into the ground, as our current one is.  Much less effort.

Apologies, but we have a boy scout trip this weekend (canoing / camping on the Rappahannock) so I'll be getting my pain quota elsewhere.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #8: May 22, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »
Fortunately, it's not stuck in concrete.  We did that 5 years ago.  That's how we got our metal one and the concrete around each pole.  Thanks though.  Have a great scouting trip!

nospinzone1

« Reply #9: May 22, 2007, 07:56:46 PM »
WISH I WAS 40 YEARS YOUNGER AND WITH NOT SO MANY MEDICAL ISSUES. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HELP.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #10: May 22, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »
aww, that's sweet!  Thanks nospin!  Take care of yourself. ok?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #11: May 23, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
Hey Ali,

Dan's going out a couple nights this week to dismantle.  Any chance you might be able to do that some evening for an hour or two?  He wants to make Sat. go fast and easy.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #12: May 23, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »
Hi Kimnat-
I don't think Ali is checking the forum right now, but I wanted to let you know that we're actually leaving for Cape May tomorrow morning to meet up with some of the family. (Including the mom and stepdad you met Sunday.) Unfortunately we have to spend tonight getting everything ready since we've got to be in Lewes to catch the ferry by a certain time or risk being late for plans on the other side.  :icon_frown:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #13: May 23, 2007, 05:15:06 PM »
Oh well!  Thanks anyway.  Say hi to Lewes DE for me!  I love it there!

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #14: May 23, 2007, 05:24:36 PM »
I've never been there (at least that I remember!), but I'm sure it's very nice. I am looking forward to some serious R & R!!  :D

Offline kimnat

« Reply #15: May 23, 2007, 05:30:33 PM »
After you experience it (r&r) can you tell me what it's like?  Been so long for me, I've forgotten!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: May 23, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »
Just got home - will supply a report on the status of Lewes and be available for de-swinging if necessary next week...happy long weekend!  Cheers

After you experience it (r&r) can you tell me what it's like?  Been so long for me, I've forgotten!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #17: May 24, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »
Apparently this sucker is gonna be around for a while.  We went out tonight to start dismantling it.  BOY IT'S HARD & HEAVY!  Keep in touch over the next week or so if you're willing to help.  We'll be taking a while to do it!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #18: June 09, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
ok, we've got most of the swingset taken apart.  And it's at a super manageable point.  We still need physical help in moving it.  And we need to do it one night this week.  I can rent a uhaul, but need to find help first so I know what night to rent it.   I'm thinking sometime M-W.  We just need help loading it into the truck and putting it in our backyard and putting just a few pieces back on it.  Prob. only 2 hours of work max!  And we probably only need 3 guys!  If any of you are available this week, please let me know.  We have an out of town thing next weekend, so can't do it then.  Monday night would be best for the people where it's currently located.  THANK YOU!