Author Topic: Do any free agents really want to go to the Nats?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline hotshot

Money talks.

Jayson Werth went from a World Series team to a team with no history, one good player and nothing going for it.

All because of money.

And Mark Teixeira went to the NYY (Thank God as it turned out) even though he grew up locally, had family here and the Nats money was right.

Offline LoveAngelos

I may be.... and most days after I wake up...wrong but didn't  Teixeira grow up idolizing the Pinstripes?

Offline hotshot

I may be.... and most days after I wake up...wrong but didn't  Teixeira grow up idolizing the Pinstripes?

I don't know about that but he grew up down the street from me in Severna Park, Md (just north of Annapolis). As did Philles/White Sox P Gavin Floyd. His family could have seen him regularly had he signed with the Nats.

Offline UMDNats

And Mark Teixeira went to the NYY (Thank God as it turned out) even though he grew up locally, had family here and the Nats money was right.

I don't really think the family thing was ever that big of a deal. NYC is not far at all, especially when you have $120 million.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
And Mark Teixeira went to the NYY (Thank God as it turned out)
And Fielder went to Detroit.

I don't really think the family thing was ever that big of a deal. NYC is not far at all, especially when you have $120 million.
I feel like $120 million solves a lot of problems

Offline Ray D

I don't know about that but he grew up down the street from me in Severna Park, Md (just north of Annapolis).
That would have put him in Oriole territory.

Offline Ray D

Money talks.

Jayson Werth went from a World Series team to a team with no history, one good player and nothing going for it.

All because of money.

Over the last six years of his contract he went to the playoffs 4 times.  The Phillies, zero. Could be he saw what was coming?

Offline LoveAngelos

Yes Ray, but he went to Mt. St. Joe's in Catonsville. He was an  educated and cultured kid and did not want to be thought of as a Balmoron or a Peter Angelos dupe.....some kidding aside I am fairly certain he was a Yankees fans growing up

Offline UMDNats

Over the last six years of his contract he went to the playoffs 4 times.  The Phillies, zero. Could be he saw what was coming?

Sure, but he was never re-signing with Philadelphia. He could have gone to any number of contenders.

Offline hotshot

Ray, the O's would like to think that but ... I see as many people around town wearing Nats and Redskins gear as I do O's/Ravens.  Actually, some may have to do with winning, i.e., lotsa Nationals caps and shirts, more Ravens stuff than Redskins. It's a mixed area to be sure. Cable gives me the same Redskins/Nats/Caps/Wizards coverage as I'd get living in DC.

Offline hotshot

Yes Ray, but he went to Mt. St. Joe's in Catonsville. He was an  educated and cultured kid and did not want to be thought of as a Balmoron or a Peter Angelos dupe.....some kidding aside I am fairly certain he was a Yankees fans growing up

Yah, the O's weren't ever even in the running.

Offline LoveAngelos

Yah, the O's weren't ever even in the running.

I mean

Who would sign with Mr. Toad's team? and play in a city where the mayor because of her own policies declared crime is out of control?

I dunno. Maybe Elijah Dukes