Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37088 times)

Offline Expos

Trade Bryce for what?  How does that help us win a title in 2018 by getting rid of one of the best players in the game?

Trade Bryce for top young prospects. A few top arms would be nice. Bryce is awesome but he is gone after this year. I'd rather take JD and a signed Rendon plus a starter than give 400 mil to Bryce.

You're telling me that lineup couldn't challenge for the World Series?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Trade Bryce for top young prospects. A few top arms would be nice. Bryce is awesome but he is gone after this year. I'd rather take JD and a signed Rendon plus a starter than give 400 mil to Bryce.

You're telling me that lineup couldn't challenge for the World Series?

You won't get much for a year of Bryce. What team is willing to cough up a lot for one year?  You're not getting much more than what Martinez garnered.

Martinez is going to get old in a hurry

Offline Expos

You won't get much for a year of Bryce. What team is willing to cough up a lot for one year?  You're not getting much more than what Martinez garnered.

Martinez is going to get old in a hurry

Signing JD and getting a top prospect or 2 is worlds better than losing Bryce and getting nothing.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Get someone who can hit in the post-season.  I just noticed that Stephen Strasburg has a career post-season ERA of 0.47...... .....       AND A LOSING RECORD!!!!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Signing JD and getting a top prospect or 2 is worlds better than losing Bryce and getting nothing.

It's not better if you would like to win the World Series next year. Trading away one of the best players in baseball is not a recipe for winning a championship in the near term.

Offline Slateman

What "top prospect" do you think you're getting for a full year of 20+ million dollar Bryce?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
What "top prospect" do you think you're getting for a full year of 20+ million dollar Bryce?

Yeah...I think no matter what, we end up on the short end of any deal for Royce at this point...may as well play out the string...

Offline Expos

Are you guys for real? Even if we trade him at the deadline to a contender we would get a haul nevermind trading him to someone for a whole season.

JD for 5 years and prospects for Bryce as well as a locked up Rendon is better than a year of Bryce.

We've been in the hunt for 3 postseasons with him and haven't won. Why would this year be different?

Offline DPMOmaha

We've been in the hunt for 3 postseasons with him and haven't won. Why would this year be different?
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

Offline Ray D

We've been in the hunt for 3 postseasons with him

Offline Slateman

Yeah...I think no matter what, we end up on the short end of any deal for Royce at this point...may as well play out the string...
Agreed. The time trade him was the 2015 offseason.

Are you guys for real? Even if we trade him at the deadline to a contender we would get a haul nevermind trading him to someone for a whole season.

JD for 5 years and prospects for Bryce as well as a locked up Rendon is better than a year of Bryce.

What prospects? Name names. Name teams. Who is going to cough up something substantial for one year of Bryce Harper? Who is, legitimately, a bat away from a WS and wants to go all in for 2018?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

Trading players is not like trading baseball cards. No one is going to be like "Bryce Harper is awesome! I'll give you a bunch of stuff because I have got to have him." Teams take salaries and contracts into consideration. No team is going to give up a lot for Harper because of the exact same reasons that people here seem so eager to trade him away. He's expensive, he's only under team control for a year and no one has a good idea of where is is going to be after 2018.
If Harper was under cheap control for three more years, then yes, you could extract a kings ransom for him. But he was in that exact situation 2 years ago, and I bet no one here was advocating that he be traded.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
bluestreak, I think it's time for you to abandon the avatar. :lol:  You manned up. :clap:

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

Trading players is not like trading baseball cards. No one is going to be like "Bryce Harper is awesome! I'll give you a bunch of stuff because I have got to have him." Teams take salaries and contracts into consideration. No team is going to give up a lot for Harper because of the exact same reasons that people here seem so eager to trade him away. He's expensive, he's only under team control for a year and no one has a good idea of where is is going to be after 2018.
If Harper was under cheap control for three more years, then yes, you could extract a kings ransom for him. But he was in that exact situation 2 years ago, and I bet no one here was advocating that he be traded.

You would still get a very, very good return on Harper even with him being a free agent after this season.  He's going to make $21.625MM in 2018, which in an era where Bartolo Colon signed for $12MM in 2017, that's a bargain.  Look at some of the hauls teams have gotten in deadline deals for pending free agents, like the Chapman trade from the Yankees to the Cubs in 2016.  That's to rent a guy for a couple of months. 

With that said, we're trying (again) to win the World Series in 2018 and have a roster that is capable.  We aren't in a rebuild.  If we trade Harper, we aren't improving our team NOW.  In fact, we're going to severely weaken it for 2018.  This is what you do:

1) Try and extend Harper this offseason.  It may be a long shot, but Strasburg got done before he hit free agency.  I can see Harper signing a long-term deal but with an opt-out, so that he can test the free agency market again in a few years. 
2) If somehow we're out of contention at the deadline and Harper hasn't signed an extension, then you trade him.
3) If we keep HArper all of 2017 and he doesn't sign an extension, then you make a QO at the least.

Offline Mattionals

You would still get a very, very good return on Harper even with him being a free agent after this season.  He's going to make $21.625MM in 2018, which in an era where Bartolo Colon signed for $12MM in 2017, that's a bargain.  Look at some of the hauls teams have gotten in deadline deals for pending free agents, like the Chapman trade from the Yankees to the Cubs in 2016.  That's to rent a guy for a couple of months. 

With that said, we're trying (again) to win the World Series in 2018 and have a roster that is capable.  We aren't in a rebuild.  If we trade Harper, we aren't improving our team NOW.  In fact, we're going to severely weaken it for 2018.  This is what you do:

1) Try and extend Harper this offseason.  It may be a long shot, but Strasburg got done before he hit free agency.  I can see Harper signing a long-term deal but with an opt-out, so that he can test the free agency market again in a few years. 
2) If somehow we're out of contention at the deadline and Harper hasn't signed an extension, then you trade him.
3) If we keep HArper all of 2017 and he doesn't sign an extension, then you make a QO at the least.

Give him 7/245 with an opt out after 3. Or 10/350 with an opt out after 4.

Offline Slateman

You would still get a very, very good return on Harper even with him being a free agent after this season.

Like what? From who?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

With that said, we're trying (again) to win the World Series in 2018 and have a roster that is capable.  We aren't in a rebuild.  If we trade Harper, we aren't improving our team NOW.  In fact, we're going to severely weaken it for 2018. 
Well, I think the "sign JD and trade Bryce" group would say an OF of JD / Taylor / Eaton is probably as good offensively in 2018 as one of Harper / Taylor / Eaton.  JD has topped Bryce in wOBA 3 out of the past 4 years, including the past 2.  What kills him is the defense, which lowers his fWAR, but you could say Eaton is replacing Bryce offensively and Martinez is replacing Werth /Lind / Kendrick etc..., making the defense better than 2017.  The team acquiring him could offer him a QO if they could not extend, so you might get good prospects back, especially if they are a year + away. It starts to look less like you are weakening 2018 and instead looks like you are improving 2018 and positioning better in the long term.

Offline Truconfidence

Buster Olney is reporting teams that have contacted JD Martinez have said he is looking for 200 mill.

Offline Expos

Buster Olney is reporting teams that have contacted JD Martinez have said he is looking for 200 mill.

Still 200 mill cheaper than Bryce and not that far off production wise.

Like I said I'd rather have JD, a starting pitcher and a signed Rendon than a signed Harper.

Then in a few years JD moves to 1st and Robles slides into the outfield. It's a win / win.

Offline Slateman

Still 200 mill cheaper than Bryce and not that far off production wise.

Like I said I'd rather have JD, a starting pitcher and a signed Rendon than a signed Harper.

Then in a few years JD moves to 1st and Robles slides into the outfield. It's a win / win.

3 years from now will be "not that far off production wise" from Bryce?

Offline Expos

3 years from now will be "not that far off production wise" from Bryce?

Who cares? Bryce won't be here 3 years from now.

Besides, what has the wonder kid done to help us win? He is just as big of a choker as the rest of our guys.

Like what? From who?

The Yankees got Gleyber Torres, Billy McKinney, Rashad Crawford and Adam Warren from the Cubs for a 2 month rental of Chapman.  You seriously are asking this? 

Who cares? Bryce won't be here 3 years from now.

Besides, what has the wonder kid done to help us win? He is just as big of a choker as the rest of our guys.

What has Bryce done to help us win?  How can you take anybody seriously who says this? 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
The Yankees got Gleyber Torres, Billy McKinney, Rashad Crawford and Adam Warren from the Cubs for a 2 month rental of Chapman.  You seriously are asking this?

A closer is so much different than an outfield bat. Look at what the Tigers got for Martinez, which is a much better indicator, or what the Mets got for Bruce. Martinez went for basically a bag of balls and bats. The value of a shutdown closer is so high right now.

Well, I think the "sign JD and trade Bryce" group would say an OF of JD / Taylor / Eaton is probably as good offensively in 2018 as one of Harper / Taylor / Eaton.  JD has topped Bryce in wOBA 3 out of the past 4 years, including the past 2.  What kills him is the defense, which lowers his fWAR, but you could say Eaton is replacing Bryce offensively and Martinez is replacing Werth /Lind / Kendrick etc..., making the defense better than 2017.  The team acquiring him could offer him a QO if they could not extend, so you might get good prospects back, especially if they are a year + away. It starts to look less like you are weakening 2018 and instead looks like you are improving 2018 and positioning better in the long term.

How does it better position for the future to give major long-term money to somebody in their 30s in JD versus Bryce at 24?  That is only if you assume JD wants to come here and Bryce is 100% gone.  The JD contract could become very, very bad in a few years.  It almost certainly will be bad after 3 or 4 years.