Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 37657 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

First, let me congratulate you for the precision trolling.  Second, give me a break about Bryce not being fan-friendly.  This guy is known for signing autographs, giving balls to kids, and doing all sorts of things that are, in your words, "fan friendly."  He is the image of the team, the true "face," at least for another year.  I love RZ, but you just don't see #11 jerseys selling like #34.  The team doesn't model #11, or even #31 or #6, on its alternates when they unveil them.  Finally, as for "screwing around with his job in his contract walk year," if you think for a second that this will impact whether the Nats bring him back, then you must think the Nats have no baseball judgment. 

Oh, and as for calling him a derisive name that is based on a nickname for female genitalia, grow up.
Don't give a crap about Fanfest or whether or not Harper was there. Not about any Twitter wars involving his wife. I suppose some of the younger folks care about this but how about we just let them play ball.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Don't give a crap about Fanfest or whether or not Harper was there. Not about any Twitter wars involving his wife. I suppose some of the younger folks care about this but how about we just let them play ball.

And yet here you are posting in two threads about it. 🤔

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

He's old...he forgot he already posted about it...  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

Yes. Because I was trying to read about hot stove stuff and all I get is reality tv type drivel.

Offline Natsinpwc

He's old...he forgot he already posted about it...  ;)
Believe it or not that was actually intentional.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Believe it or not that was actually intentional.

Huh?   ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

All of this is correct. She's screwing around with his job in his contract walk year. Teams use these events to sell ticket packages, they take them seriously. Pretty much exactly the dictionary definition.

Those other guys haven't missed three of the past four years. Gio in particular gets a pass for being fan friendly. There has been a core group of vets on this team with reputations for big timing fans, one is gone, the other ones will be out soon enough. I wouldn't care if they won a game 5 on occasion, but they haven't.

If teams care that much, they can pay employees to attend- that’s what most employers do when they need employees present

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
If teams care that much, they can pay employees to attend- that’s what most employers do when they need employees present

Reminds me of the Nationals Spring Training travel packages.  They say "Exclusive pregame brunch with select Washington Nationals team personnel."  It's some assistant equipment manager that cleans up after you...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
First, let me congratulate you for the precision trolling.  Second, give me a break about Bryce not being fan-friendly.  This guy is known for signing autographs, giving balls to kids, and doing all sorts of things that are, in your words, "fan friendly."  He is the image of the team, the true "face," at least for another year.  I love RZ, but you just don't see #11 jerseys selling like #34.  The team doesn't model #11, or even #31 or #6, on its alternates when they unveil them.  Finally, as for "screwing around with his job in his contract walk year," if you think for a second that this will impact whether the Nats bring him back, then you must think the Nats have no baseball judgment. 

Oh, and as for calling him a derisive name that is based on a nickname for female genitalia, grow up.

You grow up, with your middle school morality.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

This. Bryce is very aware of what he means to the sport and acts accordingly.

That doesn't mean he is particularly open with local fans. In fact, I'd say he has maintained about the same level of fan-friendliness with DC fans as he has throughout baseball.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Tanner seems a bit pissy :(
Tanner should concentrate on Tanner and maybe find 2014-2015 Tanner

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Having just attended my wife's company's holiday party, I can see the analogy. It's not mandatory for employees to attend but it's good for company morale, imo. It really doesn't a difference but attending these kind of things is the professionl thing to do.

Offline HalfSmokes

Having just attended my wife's company's holiday party, I can see the analogy. It's not mandatory for employees to attend but it's good for company morale, imo. It really doesn't a difference but attending these kind of things is the professionl thing to do.

holiday parties are an employer spending money to thank the employees (at least in theory). Winerfest is an employer wanting an employee to attend to help sell product.

Offline Baseball is Life

holiday parties are an employer spending money to thank the employees (at least in theory). Winerfest is an employer wanting an employee to attend to help sell product.

I didn't say it was a perfect analogy, but both are non-mandatory events for employees that are sort of celebratory in nature. Loose analogy, for sure.

Offline HalfSmokes

I didn't say it was a perfect analogy, but both are non-mandatory events for employees that are sort of celebratory in nature. Loose analogy, for sure.

to me it's closer to expecting an employee to spend their vacation traveling to man a convention booth for free

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
to me it's closer to expecting an employee to spend their vacation traveling to man a convention booth for free

That really is a good comparison, though the Nats players all get several more weeks of vacation than they should already...

Offline Baseball is Life

lol, that's probably closer to the truth. :thumbs:

But these players get paid tons so I'm not feeling sorry for them. If I'm making a boatload I tend to cut my employer a bit of slack and will do the extra stuff.

Offline HalfSmokes

That really is a good comparison, though the Nats players all get several more weeks of vacation than they should already...

Is there anything that would prevent a team from putting winter fest into a free agent contract or offering bonuses (or at least travel expenses) for attendance?

Offline dcpatti

It's exactly like manning a convention booth, which I've done before and it SUUUUUUCKS.  My employer has a big annual trade show in Vegas and I've done it 3 or 4 times (been invited around 8 times in 12 years). At first you think "free trip to Vegas sounds great!"  Then you have to give up your Saturday to fly out there so you can give up your Sunday to stuff swag into bags, get up early each day for last-minute breakfast meetings with customers, miss any of the presentations you actually wanted to see because some customer wants something, and spend each evening schmoozing customers over dinner. I am not even in Sales. Oh and you get to fly home on Saturday. Now, all my expenses are paid during those trips, and I get my normal salary, but I don't get my 3 weekend days back nor my mornings or evenings, so I just say No Thanks when I'm asked to go these days.  I don't blame anyone who's not falling over themselves to put in an appearance at these things.

Is there anything that would prevent a team from putting winter fest into a free agent contract or offering bonuses (or at least travel expenses) for attendance?

The only thing preventing it would be the agent/player, I'd imagine, and I would not be surprised to learn that some players already have a clause like that.  I mean, their contracts have clauses regarding offseason hobbies/sports (this is why Max goes scuba diving a lot-- it is the only thing he's allowed to do). Why not negotiate for these types of appearances too?

Offline HalfSmokes

lol, that's probably closer to the truth. :thumbs:

But these players get paid tons so I'm not feeling sorry for them. If I'm making a boatload I tend to cut my employer a bit of slack and will do the extra stuff.

If I didn’t want to do it, I’d ask myself what the benefit vs consequences to my career would be. If you’re a marginal guy, kissing ass probably helps a little, if you’re Harper, it makes no difference

Offline Baseball is Life

If I didn’t want to do it, I’d ask myself what the benefit vs consequences to my career would be. If you’re a marginal guy, kissing ass probably helps a little, if you’re Harper, it makes no difference

Dead on, I think. But if you are grateful for your work situation, then you do it, too. But I've found that characteristic to be quite lacking in work circles.

Offline HalfSmokes

Dead on, I think. But if you are grateful, then you do it, too. But I've found that characteristic to be quite lacking in work circles.

If I’m someone who shouldn’t have been given a shot, but was (say a rule 5 draftee), I’m grateful. If I’m harper, I’ve given the nats far more value than I’ve received- grateful doesn’t seem like something he’d feel

Offline Baseball is Life

If I’m someone who shouldn’t have been given a shot, but was (say a rule 5 draftee), I’m grateful. If I’m harper, I’ve given the nats far more value than I’ve received- grateful doesn’t seem like something he’d feel

I've found that most employees are full of themselves and feel they've given their employer far more value than they've received. And let's just say that's very subjective. You could even argue that in Harper's case.

Offline HalfSmokes

I've found that most employees are full of themselves and feel they've given their employer far more value than they've received. And let's just say that's very subjective. You could even argue that in Harper's case.

you could argue it in Harper's case, but you'd be objectively wrong.