Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 20839 times)

Offline nfotiu

I'm in Canada and if the Blue Jays got Harper the fan base here in the entire country would go bananas. All this country talks about are the Jays and Leafs.

The ticket sales would be insane. As would the merchandise. Even if it was one year. But they have the money to keep him if he wants to play up here.

I'm sure they would do the following deal:

Closer- Roberto Osuna

5th ranked prospect OF Anthony Alford
Age 23. mashed Double-A (.325/.411/.455) broke his hamate 8 bats into AAA.  Crazy power

8th ranked prospect RHP TJ Zeuch
Age 22, first round pick in 2016 from University of Pittsburgh; 3.23 ERA in 53 innings in High-A, 42/14 K/BB

11th ranked prospect SS Bo Bichette
Age 19, second round pick in 2016, son of Dante Bichette; ridiculous season, hitting .385/.444/.606 between Low-A and High-A and was over .400 for much of the spring; 15 steals, 32 doubles, 11 homers; maybe he doesn’t stay at shortstop long-term but with the bat that doesn’t really matter; has blown every expectation out of the water

We get our young closer of the future and setup man for Doolittle or vice versa and 3 good young prospects.  The Jays get the whole country talking about them and will make piles of $$ and Harper would help them battle the Sox and Yankees.

Without the Harper extension looming we can sign Silver Slugger Eric Hosmer or JD Martinez and extend Rendon and possibly add another starter.

We still contend this year and we are set up for the long term.

Done.

There's no way in hell that the Blue Jays would even give up half of that.   Blue Jays fans would not go bananas over a 1 year rental of Harper added to a team that lost the division by 17 games last year.  They would probably think that their GM has lost their mind.

To even break even above Harper's 21 million salary, they'd have to sell in excess of 6000 seats per game over what they'd have done without him.  I can't see anything close to that happening.

1 year of Harper is probably worth more, both financially and on the field, to the Nationals than he is to anyone else.