Author Topic: Harper trade speculation (breakout from off-season thread)  (Read 9156 times)

metssuck, Mr Clean, Mattionals and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
How does it better position for the future to give major long-term money to somebody in their 30s in JD versus Bryce at 24?  That is only if you assume JD wants to come here and Bryce is 100% gone.  The JD contract could become very, very bad in a few years.  It almost certainly will be bad after 3 or 4 years. 
oh, I'm not saying it is an airtight case, but if a Bryce extension can't get done before the season (or look likely based on Rizzo and the Lerners' assessment of the situation), then I think the prospects you could pick up would cushion the outyears of a JD contract.  You know more about contracts than I do (I mean it, you do some work in the industry I think you said), but you could perhaps structure it so it is likely he opts out after 3 if you really don't want to be stuck with Werth 2 in 2024.  Knowing the way the Lerners operate, give him $35MM a year for the first 3 years, with $15MM a year deferred until retirement, and then 5 more years at $20MM a year.  Boras gets him the $200MM contract, some killer nominal pay up front, and, if he's good enough to look like he'll keep on playing for multiple years, a chance to beat those last 5 years on the market.