Poll

Should the Nats bring Jayson Werth back on a 1 year deal in 2018?

Yes
4 (7.7%)
Oh hell no!
48 (92.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: November 21, 2017, 10:14:11 AM

Author Topic: Should the Nats bring Jayson Werth back on a 1 year deal in 2018?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

All women I'm sure.  Believe it or not some women find him attractive.  (I know because my wife is one of them. ) I find him physically grotesque.

Just catching up on this thread. My girlfriend is in that camp too. :spaz:

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
The Giants are going to play Cutch in RF, so they still need a CF, and Werth is still available....

Online Ray D

The Giants are going to play Cutch in RF, so they still need a CF,
Why wouldn't Span be the centerfielder?

Offline Natsinpwc

Why wouldn't Span be the centerfielder?
Traded.

Online Ray D

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • I'm feeling a tear coming on.
I was kind of surprised to see Adrian Gonzalez get only the major league minimum from the Mets, I thought he'd end up as a bench/DH at a few mil for 1 year in the AL. It seems like Werth might have trouble finding a major league deal based on what Gonzo got.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=1908,1327

Online Slateman

• thanosdidnothingwrong
The Giants are going to play Cutch in RF, so they still need a CF, and Werth is still available....
Off topic, but I think they go after Cain

Offline 3bside

I was kind of surprised to see Adrian Gonzalez get only the major league minimum from the Mets, I thought he'd end up as a bench/DH at a few mil for 1 year in the AL. It seems like Werth might have trouble finding a major league deal based on what Gonzo got.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=1908,1327

He had a year left on his contract when he was waived, so the Braves and/or Dodgers are paying him $22 million.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
He had a year left on his contract when he was waived, so the Braves and/or Dodgers are paying him $22 million.

i don't think Werth gets anything more than a spring training invite on a minor league deal with an escape clause if he fails to make the opening day roster.  he's not going to play in AAA.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
i don't think Werth gets anything more than a spring training invite on a minor league deal with an escape clause if he fails to make the opening day roster.  he's not going to play in AAA.

His OPS last year would have put him middle of the pack as a DH, he's good enough to play the MLB. Question is whether anyone would offer him more than a million a year.

Online Elvir Ovcina

His OPS last year in 70 games would have put him middle of the pack as a DH, he's good enough to play the MLB. Question is whether anyone would offer him more than a million a year.

Regardless of whether the proposition about middle of the pack is correct, I fixed one thing that might make all the difference.  Dude's gonna be 39 in May, is made of glass, and has never been a full-time DH before.

Online Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
In the AL, he could be a sub-outfielder as well as DH

Regardless of whether the proposition about middle of the pack is correct, I fixed one thing that might make all the difference.  Dude's gonna be 39 in May, is made of glass, and has never been a full-time DH before.

Offline expos1994

Let's only bring back the useful players or players with potential.

Werth was a good Nat but his time has past.

Offline NJ Ave

I doubt he gets signed, because if you're going to play a guy with a wRC+ of 88, teams would rather have that be a guy with upside that you call up, not a has-been.

Last year Coco Crisp was in a similar position and didn't get signed. Justin Morneau as well. The older guys who got signed like Holliday, Beltran etc. were coming off good years that earned them one-year deals. But no one is signing an older player hoping for a bounce-back.

Online Elvir Ovcina

In the AL, he could be a sub-outfielder as well as DH

No, not really, at least not anywhere where playing outfield requires you to move more than 10 feet in any direction.  I like Werth and hope he gets a deal, but if I were a GM, there's no way I'd sign him. 

Offline Natsinpwc

No, not really, at least not anywhere where playing outfield requires you to move more than 10 feet in any direction.  I like Werth and hope he gets a deal, but if I were a GM, there's no way I'd sign him.
If he wants to keep playing he should learn 1B.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

How hard can it be to adjust to playing DH? It would be the best way to squeeze out another year or two. I think he's done, but that DH would be his best option if he'll take a huge pay cut.

Online Ray D

If he wants to keep playing he should learn 1B.
I've never understood why he never played first base (in his entire career, 1 inning).

Online Ray D

How hard can it be to adjust to playing DH?
Harder for some than others.  Some guys want to feel they're in the game and DH doesn't give them that feeling.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Harder for some than others.  Some guys want to feel they're in the game and DH doesn't give them that feeling.

Looked to me like he spent September and October preparing to not participate on defense.

Offline awbb

Looked to me like he spent September and October preparing to not participate on defense.

Offence too.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Warm Hugs!!!
If he wants to stay in baseball then he needs to move to a coaching position imo.

He played later into age then many others. But his body isn’t going to allow him to be a starter. And we aren’t even talking production.

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

:lol:     That's a nice way to put it.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Wonder if he'd sign for two years for ten mil? Definitely want him back.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Wonder if he'd sign for two years for ten mil? Definitely want him back.
precision trolling strikes again!