Poll

Should the Nats bring Jayson Werth back on a 1 year deal in 2018?

Yes
4 (7.7%)
Oh hell no!
48 (92.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: November 21, 2017, 10:14:11 AM

Author Topic: Should the Nats bring Jayson Werth back on a 1 year deal in 2018?  (Read 6122 times)

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

I disagree with this wholeheartedly when you're talking about a 38-year old veteran. And the problem is that Jayson Werth doesn't believe somebody else is better.

EDIT: The reason why I disagree is because Jayson Werth is a leader of the team. He's also delusional about the kind of player he is at this point. He can cause plenty of problems for the team if he's benched by Dusty. So for Dusty, it might not be as simple as, who's the better player? It could be, is Difo/Goodwin so much better it's worth a possible clubhouse ruckus to bench Jayson?

All high-level athletes are extremely confident in their abilities.  They don't get to that point without being confident.  Werth was a combined 10-36 the past 2 postseasons under Dusty, so he wasn't entirely "delusional" that he could hit. The blame if you feel Werth shouldn't have been out there goes 100% on Dusty.  The only delusion is if you think there are athletes in Werth's position that ask to be benched.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
What value does he have as a DH, I wonder.

His OPS puts him dead center of the guys who played DH last year. Bigger question than playing time is whether he'd accept a 90% pay cut. He's worth about a couple million.

Offline DPMOmaha

I disagree with this wholeheartedly when you're talking about a 38-year old veteran. And the problem is that Jayson Werth doesn't believe somebody else is better.

EDIT: The reason why I disagree is because Jayson Werth is a leader of the team. He's also delusional about the kind of player he is at this point. He can cause plenty of problems for the team if he's benched by Dusty. So for Dusty, it might not be as simple as, who's the better player? It could be, is Difo/Goodwin so much better it's worth a possible clubhouse ruckus to bench Jayson?
Has he commented on where he thinks his game is at this point in his career?

Offline Optics

No need to. We're already loaded at OF. He'll go to the AL where he can DH. Maybe to a young team on the rise that needs a veteran mentor. Maybe the Twins? I don't know.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Bring him back as the new Terrance.

Offline LoveAngelos

Werth will not be coming back

He is soon to announce the opening of a new haberdashery and hair salon in Tysons Corner "Werewerth's Cuttery"

When you come out your hair is longer than when you went in and customers will be sporting unexplained facial and body hair

It will only be open during full moons

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

We seem to have 3 folks that want him back.  Guessing Exposfan87 checked in with Marcel and Patti...

Offline Ray D

We seem to have 3 folks that want him back. 

All women I'm sure.  Believe it or not some women find him attractive.  (I know because my wife is one of them. ) I find him physically grotesque.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
After all the standing ovations to end the season and allowing him to play when he wasn't producing in the playoffs it's time to turn the page.

Offline aspenbubba

let him throw out the first pitch for the home opener and give him a new Porsche

Offline LoveAngelos

let him throw out the first pitch for the home opener and give him a new Porsche

He already has one ..........or maybe 5 or 6......Porsches......my guess

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Gee, the margin is looking like a typical Arlington precinct in the Governor's race.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Haven't seen any rumors about Jayson. Is anyone interested in signing him?

Offline imref

Haven't seen any rumors about Jayson. Is anyone interested in signing him?

haven't heard anything.  Obviously the Yankees are out of the running for him after acquiring Stanton. :)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
At a minimum he'll be in the thoughts of the fans at Nationals Park, with fans standing during the Nats 28th plate appearance at each home game.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

4 posters will have teh sadz...

Offline Natsinpwc

4 posters will have teh sadz...
First thought I had about the Kendrick singing was that it would prevent them from doing this dumb thing.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Livo came back and pitched one more year pretty much for free...if Werth is happy doing the same and being a bench player, far be it from me to object

Offline Ray D

Livo came back and pitched one more year pretty much for free...if Werth is happy doing the same and being a bench player, far be it from me to object
Waste of a roster spot.  At least Livan made a contribution.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Waste of a roster spot.  At Livan made a contribution.

Plus Livan would not have been a problem in the clubhouse, I guarantee that Martinez doesn't want Werth back if he's ever spoken with Riggleman or Williams.

Offline imref

i wonder if he'll get a minor league / ST invite offer from San Francisco.