Poll

Should the Nats bring Jayson Werth back on a 1 year deal in 2018?

Yes
4 (7.7%)
Oh hell no!
48 (92.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: November 21, 2017, 10:14:11 AM

Author Topic: Should the Nats bring Jayson Werth back on a 1 year deal in 2018?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I sort of feel like this is the equivalent of the points you get on the SAT for just filling in your name correctly.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I sort of feel like this is the equivalent of the points you get on the SAT for just filling in your name correctly.

I wrote JCA-CrystalCity but still got my 400 points (out of a total of 470, of course) because I did it in cursive as required.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I have a feeling someone is gonna shade in the area outside of the box...

Offline Ray D

If Jayson Werth were willing to and enthusiastic about being a bench player, and willing to settle for $2m, then I'd say sure, sign him.  But neither of those is true, so, Hell No.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

S.V.P. non...

Offline BigMeech

Nah he's too washed-up.  Hire him as bench coach so he can take over once we inevitably fire Dave Martinez.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

It depends on what role he believes he can play in 2018.  If he wants to play regularly, then he needs to look to the AL for a team to sign him as a DH that only plays LF sparingly.  If he wants to be the 5th OF here and a RH bat off the bench, then I'd welcome his leadership and experience.  I think he could still be a decently productive bat as a pinch hitter.  I seriously doubt that is what he wants though.

Offline HalfSmokes

It depends on what role he believes he can play in 2018.  If he wants to play regularly, then he needs to look to the AL for a team to sign him as a DH that only plays LF sparingly.  If he wants to be the 5th OF here and a RH bat off the bench, then I'd welcome his leadership and experience.  I think he could still be a decently productive bat as a pinch hitter.  I seriously doubt that is what he wants though.

I don't think you can trust him to even know what he wants at this point in the year. He may honestly think he'd be fine as a pinch hitter and then get into June and start to resent the role

Offline Count Walewski

I don't think Jayson Werth would bring any value to the team in 2018. At least, not at a price point that Jayson would or should be content with.

Offline Irrefutable

only if he shaves and gets a crew cut

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
What value does he have as a DH, I wonder.

Offline Ray D

Seems like every time an NL player who has had a productive career but has reached the point where he can no longer play a position, people say he should go to the AL and DH. People don't seem to want to remember that there are only 15 AL teams.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

None.  He hasn't been a good hitter for 3 years.   Just because someone can't play in the field doesn't mean he can DH.  Also, the Nats declined Lind's option - if you're an AL team, why would you sign Werth to DH when guys like Lind are freely available and cheap.

Seems like every time an NL player who has had a productive career but has reached the point where he can no longer play a position, people say he should go to the AL and DH. People don't seem to want to remember that there are only 15 AL teams.

And this as well.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Not a chance in heck.

Goodwin should be the fourth OF. Stevenson and Bautista offer defense and pinch running as 25th men.

If we have another injury epidemic in the outfield then I'd be happy putting Difo out in left. His bat and speed are electric when playing every day.

Werth has value somewhere as an experienced backup who can set the table. But the Nats are stocked with younger outfielders and bench bats that need spots.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Anyone who votes Yes is likely a Boras minion and should have their account deleted.

I don't think you can trust him to even know what he wants at this point in the year. He may honestly think he'd be fine as a pinch hitter and then get into June and start to resent the role

I don't think Jayson is the type of guy, in a clubhouse of guys he knows, to start being a problem in June if he decides he wants to play more.  With that said, I think his time here is done.

That doesn't mean there are only 15 DH spots.  Werth has hit lefties well.  He could be on the short-end of a platoon as a DH for somebody potentially.  I don't know that he'd find a job without really examining every single team and their roster versus who is out there, but it seems possible. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

That doesn't mean there are only 15 DH spots.  Werth has hit lefties well.  He could be on the short-end of a platoon as a DH for somebody potentially.  I don't know that he'd find a job without really examining every single team and their roster versus who is out there, but it seems possible.

A few other options come to mind right away, some of whom have already served in that role, like Holliday.  Even Howie Kendrick would get that job before Werth does, and he can even play two different positions badly!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Offline NJ Ave

I think if Jayson Werth was the kind of intuitive, team-first baseball player that Jayson Werth seems to think he is, then at some point in the past two seasons Jayson Werth would have had a quiet sit-down with Dusty and transitioned to the bench.

The absolute final straw was him not sitting down in the playoffs for the betterment of the team, still thinking he's a playoff hero or something. I have no hard feelings towards him - I wouldn't mind seeing him come back sometime soon as a coach. But he is clearly delusional about his current playing abilities, as most old ballplayers are.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Just FYI, I knew what his DH value was. I was being overly polite. :D
None.  He hasn't been a good hitter for 3 years.   Just because someone can't play in the field doesn't mean he can DH.  Also, the Nats declined Lind's option - if you're an AL team, why would you sign Werth to DH when guys like Lind are freely available and cheap.

And this as well.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Just FYI, I knew what his DH value was. I was being overly polite. :D

:lol: There's no room for polite on the internet.  Come on, you know better than that.  Erm, you c!*%#!&*#$%! 

I think if Jayson Werth was the kind of intuitive, team-first baseball player that Jayson Werth seems to think he is, then at some point in the past two seasons Jayson Werth would have had a quiet sit-down with Dusty and transitioned to the bench.

The absolute final straw was him not sitting down in the playoffs for the betterment of the team, still thinking he's a playoff hero or something. I have no hard feelings towards him - I wouldn't mind seeing him come back sometime soon as a coach. But he is clearly delusional about his current playing abilities, as most old ballplayers are.

It's Dusty's job to fill out the lineup card in that situation.  It isn't up to Jayson to say I think somebody else is better.  If he felt he was healthy enough, that's the only thing he needs to communicate. 

Offline NJ Ave

It's Dusty's job to fill out the lineup card in that situation.  It isn't up to Jayson to say I think somebody else is better.  If he felt he was healthy enough, that's the only thing he needs to communicate. 

I disagree with this wholeheartedly when you're talking about a 38-year old veteran. And the problem is that Jayson Werth doesn't believe somebody else is better.

EDIT: The reason why I disagree is because Jayson Werth is a leader of the team. He's also delusional about the kind of player he is at this point. He can cause plenty of problems for the team if he's benched by Dusty. So for Dusty, it might not be as simple as, who's the better player? It could be, is Difo/Goodwin so much better it's worth a possible clubhouse ruckus to bench Jayson?