Poll

What needs do we most need addressed via free agency?

Another top of the rotation starter or two!
19 (57.6%)
Bullpen bullpen bullpen!
3 (9.1%)
Another middle of the order bat!
6 (18.2%)
Bench bench bench!
1 (3%)
Something else.
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 14, 2017, 01:04:57 PM

Author Topic: Now free agency begins  (Read 8925 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: 5 days from now free agency begins
« Reply #25: November 02, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
I think Tanner actually rebounds to something more like 15 and 16 rather than what we saw this year. Another guy like that would be awesome.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: November 02, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
Nats / Lind decline mutual option.  Albers is a free agent too, as well as Oliver Perez.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #27: November 02, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
Nats / Lind decline mutual option.  Albers is a free agent too, as well as Oliver Perez.

It was actually just Lind who declined. Don’t blame him, after the year he had. He can get more than $5m somewhere. Hopefully AL. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: November 02, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »
It was actually just Lind who declined. Don’t blame him, after the year he had. He can get more than $5m somewhere. Hopefully AL.

Not according to Chelsea Janes. She said Nats declined. That makes zero sense to me.

https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/926213045919109120

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #29: November 02, 2017, 06:36:01 PM »
The alert on my phone says the Nats declined the option.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #30: November 02, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
Weird, the report earlier was that it was Lind who declined.

Maybe they are saving their pennies to spend elsewhere. Power hitters not named Martinez were super cheap at the trade deadline for the last couple years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: November 03, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »
he might be able to get a second year and make a total deal closer to $10MM (or more if he agrees to a team option), but 1B is stacked with options and guys who have hit well don't get much more. He's probably behind Moreland on the market as a lefty 1B due to Moreland's glove.  This is not a position that pays well.  Let's see how quick he signs.  He may be around late and come back, especially if the Nats offer him a McLouth-type deal.

As for a #3 starter, I have a strong preference for a lefty to succeed Gio.  The best route might be to dangle Fedde in a package to offer a near MLB-ready righty to a team that has extra lefties. I'm not saying Fedde gets you a #3 LHP by himself, but I'd give him up and another piece if it gets you someone under team control beyond 2018 who you have confidence in as a #3. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #32: November 03, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
Makes more sense that Lind declined.

Offline Ray D

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #34: November 03, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
It really doesnt unless they're trying to work him to a multi year deal but that doesn't make much sense either.

Lind was a blast this year....would like to see him back.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: November 03, 2017, 10:46:10 AM »
We don't know what other wheels are in motion. Perhaps in a couple weeks (or months) it'll make more sense.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #36: November 03, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
I'd like to see someone like Tyler Chatwood in as that last SP.

He's a guy with 2 Tommy Johns coming off a mediocre year who might or might not be finished as a starter.  I like him as a pitcher, but I don't know how you can rely on him as a true rotation option.  He's never made more than 27 starts in any season - that's basically leaving a hole in your rotation, even though it's at the back end, for 2 months.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #37: November 03, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
As far as the trade market, the Athletics need a CF.  We can offer Brian Goodwin.  Let Difo/Stevenson be the backup OFs to start the year and bring up Robles at some point.  Maybe the A's can offer another quality bullpen arm?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #38: November 03, 2017, 10:58:18 AM »
He's a guy with 2 Tommy Johns coming off a mediocre year who might or might not be finished as a starter.  I like him as a pitcher, but I don't know how you can rely on him as a true rotation option.  He's never made more than 27 starts in any season - that's basically leaving a hole in your rotation, even though it's at the back end, for 2 months.
Yeah, that's true. A lot of that mediocrity is Coors Field. He's been much better away from Denver throughout his career. Get him out of altitude and I think you'll have something to work with. The injury concern is legit and probably dampens his market. Hopefully Ross will be back for the stretch run and can mitigate that gamble some.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #39: November 03, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »
As far as the trade market, the Athletics need a CF.  We can offer Brian Goodwin.  Let Difo/Stevenson be the backup OFs to start the year and bring up Robles at some point.  Maybe the A's can offer another quality bullpen arm?
Maybe as a backup plan. But there are good relievers on the market. Don't need to give away assets for that at this point. Hold onto them for when you need them at the deadline.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #40: November 03, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Yeah, that's true. A lot of that mediocrity is Coors Field. He's been much better away from Denver throughout his career. Get him out of altitude and I think you'll have something to work with. The injury concern is legit and probably dampens his market. Hopefully Ross will be back for the stretch run and can mitigate that gamble some.

With the mediocrity, I was more referring to last year relative to his previous performance.  It worries me when a guy with that much of a medical history starts having control issues.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #41: November 03, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
With the mediocrity, I was more referring to last year relative to his previous performance.  It worries me when a guy with that much of a medical history starts having control issues.
Eh, looks like he's had some control issues most of his career. His fastball and K rates are up, too. Not saying it's a slam dunk or anything, just one I'd consider. We're looking for a back end guy, not a front line starter. Seems like he'd fit that bill.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #42: November 03, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
Eh, looks like he's had some control issues most of his career. His fastball and K rates are up, too. Not saying it's a slam dunk or anything, just one I'd consider. We're looking for a back end guy, not a front line starter. Seems like he'd fit that bill.

Oh, definitely, at the right price.  He's a good pitcher. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #43: November 03, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
Top 50 FA predictions:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

They have us keeping Kintzler, that's it.

Nats are pretty stocked when it comes to hitters. Barring health issues, they know who their starters are opening day next year at each spot. Wilmer Difo is the swing man in the infield and Brian Goodwin, if he bounces back, is a really solid fourth outfielder. They'll end up signing a 1B/LF to replace Lind. I like Jon Jay as a versatile backup and he was a Cub but if you sign him you're only right handed outfield bat is Michael Taylor.

I wouldn't mind signing Jhoulys Chacin as the fifth starter. Maybe kick tires on a couple veterans like Hellickson or Miley who could be cheaper.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #44: November 03, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »
Maybe as a backup plan. But there are good relievers on the market. Don't need to give away assets for that at this point. Hold onto them for when you need them at the deadline.
I am fine waiting until the deadline for arms. That strategy has worked.

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #45: November 03, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »

I was thinking somebody either under a very team-friendly contract or still under team control.  I doubt with Doo and Madson that we spend the money on a multi-year deal for a top bullpen arm on the market.  I suspect we'll add some budget guys and hope for some luck lke with Albers, hope Glover returns to form, and then explore further at the deadline as needed.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #46: November 03, 2017, 01:36:35 PM »
Not a bad idea. Chatwood can be the fifth starter. We have AJ Cole and Erik Fedde who can fill in if he gets injured. Ross may or may not be back next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #47: November 03, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
We don't know what other wheels are in motion. Perhaps in a couple weeks (or months) it'll make more sense.
they may want to hold onto the 40 man roster slot through the rule 5 draft, and offer him a multi-year closer to the Spring, when they can slide someone onto the 60 day DL.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #48: November 03, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
If Carlos Santana had played any catcher in the last couple years he would be the FA that I want. Split him with Wieters and Zim. Then after Zim moves on he is the first baseman.

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #49: November 03, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »
According to this article it was the Nationals who declined.  Which really makes no sense.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/11/02/adam-lind-the-latest-addition-to-list-of-nationals-free-agents/?utm_term=.c4887129f138

Supposedly if they offer and he declines they have to pay him 500K. he was gonna decline no matter what.