Poll

What needs do we most need addressed via free agency?

Another top of the rotation starter or two!
19 (57.6%)
Bullpen bullpen bullpen!
3 (9.1%)
Another middle of the order bat!
6 (18.2%)
Bench bench bench!
1 (3%)
Something else.
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 14, 2017, 01:04:57 PM

Author Topic: Now free agency begins  (Read 8978 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 1 day from now free agency begins
« Reply #75: November 06, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
I don't want to see Eaton, who was a mediocre CF before tearing his ACL, playing CF for more than about 3 innings at a stretch except as part of an occasional all-lefties strategy against some RH starter who can't get out lefties.  He shouldn't be a regular centerfielder.
I can see your point.  Stuck is stuck, and we'll just have to worry about replacing two big bats instead of one after 2018.  I'm not optimistic about signing Harper, and I'm not sure a Murphy extension makes sense given his age and defense. 

I'm not sure why you aren't counting on Eaton as our left fielder. Sure, we could use a big bat to come off the bench or platoon with Eaton against lefties. But Eaton should be a central figure in the lineup. 
like Elvir read it, I was thinking Eaton in center and Taylor on the bench for the start of the year.
Taylor has earned a spot in center, at least until Robles or someone come on stronger. Likely last year of Harper too, so Eaton or Taylor could end up in right in 2019 or earlier if we trade the $400,000 pickle.
Oh, he's earned "incumbent" status at the start of the year and the right to have the job until he plays himself out of it.  But, I always liked the line "deserve's got nothing to do with it" from Unforgiven and The Wire.  Of all the OFs, I think he would be the easiest to use as a frequently-used 4th OF penciled in for 400 PAs for a year.  Lots of time as a defensive replacement after pinch hitting, all of the PAs against lefties in CF, and the replacement when a regular gets hurt.  I just like starting to think about transition when 3 key pieces of the team are on their last year of the contract and I don't feel good about the odds of any of them being here after 2018. I don't feel comfortable about counting on Robles or Soto when the other two OFs are Eaton and Taylor.