Poll

What needs do we most need addressed via free agency?

Another top of the rotation starter or two!
19 (57.6%)
Bullpen bullpen bullpen!
3 (9.1%)
Another middle of the order bat!
6 (18.2%)
Bench bench bench!
1 (3%)
Something else.
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 14, 2017, 01:04:57 PM

Author Topic: Now free agency begins  (Read 5251 times)

Offline monkeyhit

Re: 3 days from now free agency begins
« Reply #75: November 06, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
Basically, for 2018, I'd like to see one or two transition pieces landed to multi-year contracts.  This could be an extension of Harper and / or Murphy, or it would be a corner outfielder that forces Taylor to the bench (at least until injury).  I don't want to count on Robles, Soto, and Eaton in 2019. I don't see a way to bring in a major signing on a multi-year deal to sit on the bench, so I don't think there's an option to bring in an infielder.  In addition to some sort of transitional outfielder, I'd like to see a transitional rotation guy - a #2 or #3 starter to step in for Gio after this year.

I don't think there's a need for 2018, but I would not mind another arm in the bullpen, whether it is Davis with the hope that Doolittle and Madson are your 2018 high leverage guys or, if not Davis, then some set up depth.

I'm not sure why you aren't counting on Eaton as our left fielder. Sure, we could use a big bat to come off the bench or platoon with Eaton against lefties. But Eaton should be a central figure in the lineup.  Taylor has earned a spot in center, at least uuntil Robles or someone come on stronger. Likely last year of Harper too, so Eaton or taylor could end up in right in 2019 or earlier if we trade the $400,000 pickle.