Author Topic: Angelos hates the Navy  (Read 2978 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Angelos hates the Navy
« Topic Start: October 30, 2017, 11:05:38 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Angelos hates the Navy
« Reply #1: October 31, 2017, 04:16:01 AM »
Another example of Peter Angelos being an jerk.  If he had 1/2 of a brain he would make this an exhibition between the Nats & the O's

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #2: October 31, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »
What a clown.

More reason to hate him.

He is so  very insecure like all Balmorons

Ever notice the AngelOs don't come out for the Anthem at Nats Park. This year at least in game 4 of the so called BS... "Beltway Series"
Last year I noticed they did not remain in place until the color guard left the field.....the only team in MLB I ever saw do this. They weren't protesting anything they just have no respect, period.

BTW he also nixed the Nats short season Albany team moving to Waldorf

How bout dem Os hon!!!!!!!!!! Dat Buck sure to git dem in the series next year OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PS Why does Ted Lerner always, always let Mr. Toad get his way??????????????

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #3: October 31, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »
Could this be a sign of the Nats trying to force some re-negotiation/re-assignment of territory or perhaps influence the next round of the endless MASN dispute? The Nats are not new to the world of corporate contracts and would have known even before planning last year's game that they're not allowed to play there, based on how the territories are drawn up.  While contractually the Nats would be clearly in the wrong, in the court of public opinion, Angelos is the bad guy, and now the Nats can say "look at all these letters/emails/posts, clearly the Nats fans in Annapolis outnumber the O's fans."     Angelos could avoid this by either allowing the Nats to play there, having the O's take over the series, or, even better, insisting that it's a Nats-O's matchup, but he's either too stupid or too petty to do that.

Or maybe my tinfoil hat is too tight.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: October 31, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
Or, he was right that putting a team in Washington would hamstring his franchise by shunting the fans from the wealthiest nearby counties to the new, native team.

And now he's f#cked.

Could this be a sign of the Nats trying to force some re-negotiation/re-assignment of territory or perhaps influence the next round of the endless MASN dispute? The Nats are not new to the world of corporate contracts and would have known even before planning last year's game that they're not allowed to play there, based on how the territories are drawn up.  While contractually the Nats would be clearly in the wrong, in the court of public opinion, Angelos is the bad guy, and now the Nats can say "look at all these letters/emails/posts, clearly the Nats fans in Annapolis outnumber the O's fans."     Angelos could avoid this by either allowing the Nats to play there, having the O's take over the series, or, even better, insisting that it's a Nats-O's matchup, but he's either too stupid or too petty to do that.

Or maybe my tinfoil hat is too tight.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #5: October 31, 2017, 10:03:57 AM »
Interesting that the article says that no Maryland counties are considered Nats terrritory. I think the reality is that PG and Montgomery County are solid (or will be solid as time goes by) Nats country.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #6: October 31, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
Or, he was right that putting a team in Washington would hamstring his franchise by shunting the fans from the wealthiest nearby counties to the new, native team.

And now he's f#cked.

It's undeniable that he's lost a lot of his customer base to the Nats, but if he wants to start making money again, he can try putting up a good team. It's amazing what winning can do for attendance levels. Heck, it's even amazing what losing but at least trying can do for attendance levels.  Example: we all know it's a thin FA pitching market this year but is it really thin enough that Miley (5.61 ERA in 2017) and Tillman (7.84 ERA) should be your first two targets? Moves like that tell your fan base that 2018 is going to be a bust, and fans won't come out to watch a bust. Angelos was cheaping out on the talent before the Nats even existed, and it's hard to be too sympathetic to his claims of being hamstrung when he's been doing that to himself for decades.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: October 31, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
Interesting that the article says that no Maryland counties are considered Nats terrritory. I think the reality is that PG and Montgomery County are solid (or will be solid as time goes by) Nats country.

If the county touches DC, it's hard to argue that it isn't within DC's fanbase orbit.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #8: October 31, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Any update on WHEN this MASN impasse will finally be settled? This century?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #9: October 31, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »

And now he's f#cked.

The Ravens do just fine.  He could focus on putting a winning product on the field, but that would take actual work.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #10: October 31, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »

PG leans Baltimoron because of UMD, the Baysox, and general apathy.  Montgomery is Nats country.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: October 31, 2017, 01:19:08 PM »

In a similar way the Ravens screwed the Redskins.   Traditionally the 'skins were very strong in Southern Maryland (aside from Montgomery and PG, of course) but when the Browns moved to Baltimore they gave So Md away to the Ravens to become their "territory". 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #12: October 31, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
PG leans Baltimoron because of UMD, the Baysox, and general apathy.  Montgomery is Nats country.

Kinda hard to believe PG County still leans to the O's. I will defer to those who know the county better than me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: October 31, 2017, 03:42:33 PM »
Kinda hard to believe PG County still leans to the O's. I will defer to those who know the county better than me.

It never did back in the day, but I haven't lived there since 1982.     :old:

Baseball Bill would not approve.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #14: October 31, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »

Most of the Metro trains going into DC for Nats games from 2006-14 were 90% empty.  Day-and-night difference from the red line out of Shady Grove or the orange/blue out of NoVA.

The one exception to the general apathy is the College Park area, but College Park is UMD and UMD is filled with Marylanders from all over the state, most of whom are BLO's fans.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: October 31, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »
Not me.  I found a bar near me that has Bud drafts for $1.25.  The IPA they have on draft is 3.50 and tastes like crap.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #16: October 31, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Ever heard a PG person talk?   Ever heard a Baltomoron talk?  They're indistinguishable.  Some call it the PG accent and others call it the Baltimore accent.  (Apologies if anyone here lives in PG.)

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #17: October 31, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
Everything that’s wrong with the O’s, summed up in one headline https://thebaltimorewire.com/2017/10/31/baltimore-orioles-tillman-miley/

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: October 31, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
Ever heard a PG person talk?   Ever heard a Baltomoron talk?  They're indistinguishable.  Some call it the PG accent and others call it the Baltimore accent.  (Apologies if anyone here lives in PG.)

I'm guessing you would find a North Carolina accent indistinguishable from an Alabama accent also.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #19: October 31, 2017, 10:25:13 PM »
There is also a difference in racial demographics between PG, Montgomery, & NVa.  Many blacks are avid Redskin fans, but not as much baseball fans.  And it has nothing to do with the Redskins playing in Raljon.

Most of the Metro trains going into DC for Nats games from 2006-14 were 90% empty.  Day-and-night difference from the red line out of Shady Grove or the orange/blue out of NoVA.

The one exception to the general apathy is the College Park area, but College Park is UMD and UMD is filled with Marylanders from all over the state, most of whom are BLO's fans.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #20: November 01, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »
...and to think...according to the talk shows this past couple of weekends, Rizzo wanted to bring in Cal Ripken Jr as manager...for once, the Lerners did something right (by turning thumbs down on that deal).

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #21: November 01, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
I'm not ready to label Cal Ripkin as being part of anything dealing with Peter Angelos.  Cal deserves a little more credit than that.

...and to think...according to the talk shows this past couple of weekends, Rizzo wanted to bring in Cal Rpiken Jr as manager...for once, the Lerners did something right (by turning thumbs down on that deal).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: November 01, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
Cal deserves a little more credit than that.

why

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #23: November 01, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
Cal hasn't made his life ambition to kill the Nats such as Peter Angelos has

why

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #24: November 01, 2017, 08:11:58 AM »
1. I understood the original agreement gave PG and Mont COs to the Nats
2. Other than its Northern reaches PG is very much Nats land
3. I live in AA CO MD and watch out Mr. Toad there are lots of us here, Navy game or not, and you Mr. Toad are creating more Nats fans everyday with your abject greed and arrogance

4.Why do the Lerners stand mute while Mr. Toad plasters Os billboards all over DC, PG, Mont and No. Va?
5. Can't Balmer support its own team dere hon.?

Why troll DC for customers?

Are there no baseball fans in Balmer????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????