Author Topic: Angelos hates the Navy  (Read 2974 times)

Offline dcpatti

Re: Angelos hates the Navy
« Reply #25: November 01, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
...and to think...according to the talk shows this past couple of weekends, Rizzo wanted to bring in Cal Rpiken Jr as manager...for once, the Lerners did something right (by turning thumbs down on that deal).

Rizzo moved on from Ripken a long time ago and honestly I don’t see Ripken as a big league manager (if you’ve ever heard him try to do in-game commentary, you’ll know why... dude is just really uncomfortable talking to more than 3 people at once)  but that doesn’t make him an Angelos protege.  any relationship Cal has had with Angelos is rumored to have soured a long long time ago. http://wnst.net/free-the-birds/cal-ripken-ken-rosenthal-vs-peter-angelos-who-do-you-believe/

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #26: November 01, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
Rizzo moved on from Ripken a long time ago and honestly I don’t see Ripken as a big league manager (if you’ve ever heard him try to do in-game commentary, you’ll know why... dude is just really uncomfortable talking to more than 3 people at once)  but that doesn’t make him an Angelos protege.  any relationship Cal has had with Angelos is rumored to have soured a long long time ago. http://wnst.net/free-the-birds/cal-ripken-ken-rosenthal-vs-peter-angelos-who-do-you-believe/

From that linked article:

It’s hard to argue with the promise of Matt Wieters...

:lmao:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: November 01, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
freak Baltimore. Ship the future butters into DC.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #28: November 01, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
I happened to catch Bram Weinstein's lunch time show on 980 and he was ripping Angelos for this.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #29: November 01, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
...and to think...according to the talk shows this past couple of weekends, Rizzo wanted to bring in Cal Rpiken Jr as manager...for once, the Lerners did something right (by turning thumbs down on that deal).

I find that really hard to believe.

Offline Optics

« Reply #30: November 01, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »
Good lord, how out of touch is Angelos? This would be such a wonderful opportunity for the Nats and Os to work together to do some kind of exhibition game for the troops, or maybe even play one of their interleague series there.

Some people just love cutting off their own nose to spite their face...

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #31: November 01, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
Back in 1955, they were called "the bush-league Baltimore Orioles". And still.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #32: November 01, 2017, 09:30:38 PM »
Good lord, how out of touch is Angelos? This would be such a wonderful opportunity for the Nats and Os to work together to do some kind of exhibition game for the troops, or maybe even play one of their interleague series there.

Some people just love cutting off their own nose to spite their face...

It’s some weird old-man willy size contest, I swear. No different than Angelos saying that the price for Zach Britton would be double if the Nats were asking as opposed to any other club. He and Papa Lerner should get out the rulers and compare measurements and be done with it. Once and for all.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: November 01, 2017, 10:15:09 PM »
It’s some weird old-man willy size contest, I swear. No different than Angelos saying that the price for Zach Britton would be double if the Nats were asking as opposed to any other club. He and Papa Lerner should get out the rulers and compare measurements and be done with it. Once and for all.

If they sold tickets to that competition, I would buy...

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #34: November 01, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »
If they sold tickets to that competition, I would buy...

Better you than me. You can’t un-see that.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #35: November 02, 2017, 06:09:17 AM »
Patti - you have a strange way of settling conflicts

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #36: November 02, 2017, 06:49:40 AM »

That may be (more or less), but he is still connected to the Orioles organisation through his ownership of the Aberdeen IronBirds (short-season Class A affiliate).

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #37: November 02, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »
1. I understood the original agreement gave PG and Mont COs to the Nats
2. Other than its Northern reaches PG is very much Nats land
3. I live in AA CO MD and watch out Mr. Toad there are lots of us here, Navy game or not, and you Mr. Toad are creating more Nats fans everyday with your abject greed and arrogance

4.Why do the Lerners stand mute while Mr. Toad plasters Os billboards all over DC, PG, Mont and No. Va?
5. Can't Balmer support its own team dere hon.?

Why troll DC for customers?

Are there no baseball fans in Balmer????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

...and yet...the Orioles Baseball Store (selling tickets et al) in downtown DC (west side of Farragut square) was closed almost the same time the Nats played their first match in DC...unusual for an owner who claims this area as his.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #38: November 02, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »
...and yet...the Orioles Baseball Store (selling tickets et al) in downtown DC (west side of Farragut square) was closed almost the same time the Nats played their first match in DC...
That's not my recollection.  What I recall is how enraged we all were that he kept that store running.  I don't remember how long, maybe even a year or more.

Offline wj73

« Reply #39: November 02, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »

:spit:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #40: November 02, 2017, 08:42:24 AM »
Better you than me. You can’t un-see that.
wizened willies. You're right, you can't un-see it.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #41: November 02, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
That's not my recollection.  What I recall is how enraged we all were that he kept that store running.  I don't remember how long, maybe even a year or more.

At most. As I recall it, it was gone pretty quickly after the Nats set up shop.

Offline wj73

« Reply #42: November 02, 2017, 08:46:55 AM »

Per this article in the Washington Times, the store closed in 2006, the year after the Nats arrived. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/4/old-orioles-fans-have-adopted-natitude/

Offline Traded For Mclain

« Reply #43: November 03, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
Per this article in the Washington Times, the store closed in 2006, the year after the Nats arrived. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/4/old-orioles-fans-have-adopted-natitude/

I remember going in that store and asking for Nats gear :D

Offline Ray D

« Reply #44: November 03, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
I remember going in that store and asking for Nats gear :D
I remember hearing stories of people doing that (maybe you) and them getting angry about it.  Orioles just don't have any sense of humor.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #45: November 06, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
I remember hearing stories of people doing that (maybe you) and them getting angry about it.  Orioles just don't have any sense of humor.

After Bill Collins was bidding to move the Astros anding was try to move a team to Arlington, a friend and I took the banner ESPN -- Expos Should Play in Northern Virginia around to different stadiums. Went to RFK for the Expos-Cards exhibition, the Vet when the Expos were in town, and Camden Yards for an interleague game. We were told we couldn't hang it up but had to hold it, which we did. Eventually, some security guy tried to say we were blocking the sections below us -- we'd already done dry runs and verified that we weren't, so we laughed, as they had to go the excuse route to shut it down. Their obsession on all things local -- when they should focus on competing in the A.L. East -- remains remarkable.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #46: November 06, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »
After Bill Collins was bidding to move the Astros anding was try to move a team to Arlington, a friend and I took the banner ESPN -- Expos Should Play in Northern Virginia around to different stadiums. Went to RFK for the Expos-Cards exhibition, the Vet when the Expos were in town, and Camden Yards for an interleague game. We were told we couldn't hang it up but had to hold it, which we did. Eventually, some security guy tried to say we were blocking the sections below us -- we'd already done dry runs and verified that we weren't, so we laughed, as they had to go the excuse route to shut it down. Their obsession on all things local -- when they should focus on competing in the A.L. East -- remains remarkable.

Thank  you for your efforts.  I,  for one, sincerely appreciate them.